The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Saga
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 3:25 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I was really into it but lost interest in the high 20's early 30's issues. It's not like it got bad I just drifted away.

Post subject: Re: Saga
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 3:28 am 

It def had lost steam at that point. The art is still incredible.

Post subject: Re: Calling All Comic Geeks!
PostPosted: Sun April 23, 2017 2:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

Issue was pretty cool.. story time wise, it was only like a minute n a half long

PostPosted: Tue April 25, 2017 4:03 pm 

The button arc continues in Flash this week.

This Batman/Shadow Crossover looks cool....also this week.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:17 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:19 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Reading a lot of Guardians lately. God damn but there are some terrible Cosmic stories out there.

Annihilation - interesting direction for the characters
Annihilation: Conquest - Still interesting
War of Kings - Okay...you're losing me. The Inhumans are kind of boring.
Realm of Kings - Jesus, what? The Revengers? Adam Warlock is so boring. And oh look, he's Magus again. Quelle surprise.
The Thanos Imperative - Drax, you idiot. The "I must kill Thanos, I don't care if it's counter to everything everyone is telling me over three issues!" is so stupid.
The Black Vortex - Jesus Christ. *throws hands up in the air*

Mignola's art just does not work for me in Marvel for some reason. It's just so...dull.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 pm 
Champion of RM

I was thinking about picking up a GotG collection soon.

Is there a site where you enter a comic, volume and issue number and it tells you all of the collections it appears in? For example, Silver Surfer Vol. 3 No. 9. Appears in SS TP2, SS Masterworks 1, SS Epic Collection 4, SS Essential 2, etc. (Random example is not accurate)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:00 pm 
AnalLog

CopperTom wrote:
I was thinking about picking up a GotG collection soon.

Is there a site where you enter a comic, volume and issue number and it tells you all of the collections it appears in? For example, Silver Surfer Vol. 3 No. 9. Appears in SS TP2, SS Masterworks 1, SS Epic Collection 4, SS Essential 2, etc. (Random example is not accurate)

I used to know a really good fan X-men site that had that all listed.

The X-men Omnibus 1 - (what was in it)
The X-men Omnibus 2 - (what was in it)

so on, for all the omnibus's, hardcover collections, Masterworks, whatever.
Even had a separate section for any X-men comics that were featured in the Marvel crossovers, like Civil War. Really helped when it came to getting solo Wolverine stuff. But I lost the link when my old PC crashed and burned.
But I'm sure theres sites out there. I think the X-men one was even just a wiki page.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:23 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:26 pm 

Quote:
Five Key Takeaways From THE BUTTON, Heading Into DOOMSDAY CLOCK - SPOILERS
Spoiler: show
As "The Button"'s ending in this week's The Flash #22 gave new revelations about Dr. Manhattan's involvement in the DCU, there weren't a lot of definitive answers about questions presented more than a year ago when "Rebirth" launched.

However, there were several important lessons we can learn from the "The Button"'s storyline. Although this isn't an exhaustive list by any means, here are five key takeaways Newsarama found from reading "The Button."

The Justice Society of America Is Alive & Well.... Somewhere

It started with the inclusion of Johnny Thunder and ended with an appearance by the much-missed Jay Garrick Flash.

And in between, it became apparent that the JSA is somehow still alive, but trapped in an alternate timeline (or another sort of prison) - similar to what had happened to Wally West.

Although Jay Garrick is the only character who actually showed up, the implication of Johnny Thunder's appearance and Jay Garrick's existence is that past characters from other DC timelines can and will be able to get back to the present-day DCU.

Of course, in Jay's case, the writers are pointing toward him needing a different lightning rod to make it back to the DCU. Any guesses who or what that will be?

The Future Is Hinging On This Event

With a name like "Doomsday Clock," the obvious implication is that the end of the world is near. The real Doomsday Clock is a status report maintained by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists that indicates how close the world is to armageddon (and it's currently at "two and a half minutes to midnight").

The concept has always been part of the Watchmen universe. The Doomsday Clock was a recurring visual element of the original Watchmen series, with each issue featuring the hands moving closer to midnight.

But "The Button" also made it clear that the future of the DCU hinges on what's happening in this story, as Saturn Girl showed up in the first issue of the crossover. A part of the DCU's future (if she's anything like her pre-"Rebirth" self), Saturn Girl is now convinced that the "Legion will die" and "no one will save us." This is quite a change from her statement at the end of DC Universe: Rebirth #1 that "everything's going to be all right" because she has "seen the future."

Whatever is happening right now, particularly the events of "The Button" and everything related to it, are leading to some cataclysmic future.

Plus, attentive readers may have noticed that the Doomsday Clock at the end of "The Button" was pointing at 10 minutes before midnight. Not too bad ... but five minutes closer than it was when it showed up in DC Universe: Rebirth #1. And the clock in the promo art for the Doomsday Clock event only shows a couple minutes left. Things are definitely going to get worse.

This Also Has A Lot To DO With the DCU's Past

There are a lot of hints about the past in "The Button," not the least of which is Dr. Manhattan's narration about his "perception of time."

But "The Button" also revealed that all histories of the DCU (or at least many of them) still exist somehow, being held in place by someone (probably Dr. Manhattan). Because of his nature, is it important to realize that Dr. Manhattan would be aware of all possibilities in the DCU, and therefore all timelines? Although the people within the DCU would expect the alternate histories to be overwritten by the current-day DCU, that's not the way they work within the world of Dr. Manhattan.

With Oz appearing to be part of this, that character keeps using the term "long game" to describe what's happening. When he says long, we suspect he means really, really long.

Plus, if we can lend any credence to Mr. Oz's clue about "teaching" Superman to have hope, then this traces itself back much further than the last few years.

That said, it's obvious that "someone" (again, seemingly Dr. Manhattan) has the power to eliminate those past timelines if he so wishes - evidenced by his ability to erase the Flashpoint world. So it looks like all the past timelines are technically available to him, but also under his control.

"They"

Sure, the hints this week from Doomsday Clock writer Geoff Johns have only talked about that character, but there have been a lot of clues in "The Button" about there being more than one person involved in the manipulation of the DC timeline.

In the first few pages of "The Button," Saturn Girl used the pronoun "they" when warning about the decimation of the Legion. And later, in the last chapter of "the Button," Eobard Thawne claimed to know who is behind the Button's appearance, and he specifically used the pronoun "they" on The Flash #22's very first page.

Then Jay Garrick said to Barry, "they took everything from me."

While "they" can be used as a gender-neutral pronoun for a singular individual, it is more commonly used to refer to multiple individuals.

So whether the speculation about Mr. Oz being Ozymandias are true or not, it doesn't look like Dr. Manhattan is the only character who's involved in this attack (unless, of course, all these characters are merely mistaken).

It's All Remarkably Coordinated

This isn't just a matter of Dr. Manhattan randomly messing with the DCU. "The Button" made it pretty clear that whatever is happening to the DCU is a coordinated effort.

We got a hint of that when Manhattan (or someone who sure acted like him) vaporized several characters at the end of the "New 52" and within the pages of DC Universe: Rebirth #1. He seemingly chose those characters because of their knowledge of the universe and the "New 52."

Now, even Batman is aware that it "wasn't an accident" that he and Barry were sent to the Flashpoint timeline. The reason that Batman talked to his alt-universe father appears to be that someone wants to take Batman out of the equation, or at least shake him up. And it looks like it worked.

We already knew Mr. Oz was strategically pulling people from the DCU, but it's looking more and more like Dr. Manhattan is being rather strategic as well.

To what end? That's one question "The Button" didn't answer, although the "Doomsday" in Doomsday Clock does infer some sort of grim finality, at least in some respect.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2017 3:40 pm 
Major Dude

So, the last issue of Dark Knight 3 shipped this week. I've been holding off on reading them till all the issues were out. Anyone else reading this?

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2017 6:00 pm 

Think Vinyl Guy is...

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2017 7:38 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah im reading DK3. Its been a while though, and i haven finished it.

PostPosted: Tue June 13, 2017 2:48 am 

PostPosted: Wed June 14, 2017 1:50 am 
Champion of RM

Marvel should have made a Defenders movie first with the original Defenders - Hulk, Dr. Strange, Namor and Silver Surfer. I would have been very interested.

PostPosted: Wed June 14, 2017 12:13 pm 

The don't have the right to Silver Surfer and Namor only partially.

PostPosted: Wed June 14, 2017 3:14 pm 
Champion of RM

I assumed they could Quicksilver the Silver Surfer.

PostPosted: Thu June 15, 2017 1:44 am 
Major Dude

They have Namor. Feige verified that a while back. Don't really see how, tho.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 83  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment