The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 9:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

@SkitchP wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
You think "Breaking Bad" is the story of the relationship between Jesse and Walt?

I think it actually is a big part of what the show is about, because the way Walt relates to Jessie is usually the best indicator of where Walt is at any given moment. Walt/Jesse relationship is probably one of the best parts of the show,and the best dynamic between two characters in the entire series by a long shot.
it's the only relationship, and it's annoying as FUCK.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 9:56 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

@SkitchP wrote:
I think it actually is a big part of what the show is about, because the way Walt relates to Jessie is usually the best indicator of where Walt is at any given moment. Walt/Jesse relationship is probably one of the best parts of the show,and the best dynamic between two characters in the entire series by a long shot.

Right, but it's not the entirety of the story. Breaking Bad is the story of a kind, compassionate milquetoast being consumed by power and destroying his own life. Jesse is a huge part of it, in as much as he initially leads him down the rabbit hole which leads to a role reversal, but saying it's "the same story over and over again" because their relationship goes through ups and downs is short-sighted.

elliseamos wrote:

I question your basic comprehension skills.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 10:01 pm 
RM Elitist

theplatypus wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

Right, but it's not the entirety of the story. Breaking Bad is the story of a kind, compassionate milquetoast being consumed by power and destroying his own life. Jesse is a huge part of it, in as much as he initially leads him down the rabbit hole which leads to a role reversal, but saying it's "the same story over and over again" because their relationship goes through ups and downs is short-sighted.

elliseamos wrote:

I question your basic comprehension skills.

Im not trashing the show at all. Just acknowledging where someone could see repetition in elements of the show. And really, the "consumed by power" theme has repeated itself a couple times, where Walt gets brought back down, and then works back up to regain that power.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 11:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

question all you want, the show is equaled (and surpassed) by many other stories before it.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:05 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

@SkitchP wrote:
Im not trashing the show at all. Just acknowledging where someone could see repetition in elements of the show. And really, the "consumed by power" theme has repeated itself a couple times, where Walt gets brought back down, and then works back up to regain that power.

Yup, I can see that. But with each high-water mark, the stakes are raised and that foreboding, ominousness, impending doom is pushed further to the forefront, materializing and grabbing hold of every character. It's how the tension is sustained through these five seasons of what could easily be a flat, episodic story about wacky hijinx. That's why it's so weird to hear someone say there's no "change" or "arc" in the characters: it's a show about change-- physical, moral, mental, chemical-- and it is excellently conveyed in the writing and performances.

elliseamos wrote:
question all you want, the show is equaled (and surpassed) by many other stories before it.

For sure, just like "The Wire" has been equaled and surpassed by many other stories before it. That doesn't make the show less meritable, nor your observations less asinine.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:22 am 
AnalLog

Ellis, you make my brain bleed.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:33 am 
Mind Your Tanners

theplatypus wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

Yup, I can see that. But with each high-water mark, the stakes are raised and that foreboding, ominousness, impending doom is pushed further to the forefront, materializing and grabbing hold of every character. It's how the tension is sustained through these five seasons of what could easily be a flat, episodic story about wacky hijinx. That's why it's so weird to hear someone say there's no "change" or "arc" in the characters: it's a show about change-- physical, moral, mental, chemical-- and it is excellently conveyed in the writing and performances.
and i would say it's a story about the possibility of change and yet it never happens.

theplatypus wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

For sure, just like "The Wire" has been equaled and surpassed by many other stories before it. That doesn't make the show less meritable, nor your observations less asinine.
when did i say different?

Soma. wrote:
Ellis, you make my brain bleed.
you're welcome.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:34 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

elliseamos wrote:
and i would say it's a story about the possibility of change and yet it never happens.

Have... have you ever actually watched this show?

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:36 am 
Mind Your Tanners

theplatypus wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

are you suggesting i smoke meth while watching?

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:38 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

elliseamos wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

What?

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:39 am 
Mind Your Tanners

theplatypus wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

What?

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:48 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Alright.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:52 am 
RM Elitist

theplatypus wrote:
For sure, just like "The Wire" has been equaled and surpassed by many other stories before it.

theplatypus wrote:

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:56 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Yes. "The Wire" is not the apex of human creation.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:58 am 
RM Elitist

theplatypus wrote:

Im not sure I believe you have seen it. It doesn't seem like you to have invested the time into something like the wire and then NOT discuss it, until bringing it up in some roundabout discussion about an entirely different show. It is not the apex of human creation (that's clearly Homicide.) But I'm not buying that you actually watched it.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 1:02 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

@SkitchP wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Im not sure I believe you have seen it. It doesn't seem like you to have invested the time into something like the wire and then NOT discuss it, until bringing it up in some roundabout discussion about an entirely different show. It is not the apex of human creation (that's clearly Homicide.) But I'm not buying that you actually watched it.

Watched the full first season. I liked it-- probably less than a lot of you guys did, but I liked it. I posted about it in the old board. But this is not the "The Wire" thread, I was working off of elliseamos's boneheaded remark about "Breaking Bad".

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 1:14 am 
Mind Your Tanners

theplatypus wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Watched the full first season. I liked it-- probably less than a lot of you guys did, but I liked it. I posted about it in the old board. But this is not the "The Wire" thread, I was working off of elliseamos's boneheaded remark about "Breaking Bad".
so i'm a bonehead for having a differing opinion than you? and yet you're making an admitted blind statement? classic platypus.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 1:15 am 
jeeeesus relax already

elliseamos wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

so i'm a bonehead for having a differing opinion than you? and yet you're making an admitted blind statement? classic platypus.

:haha:

Still Breaking Bad is a great show. But i havent seen The Wire.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 1:17 am 
Poster of the Year

VinylGuy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

I'm sorry I called you stupid.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 1:20 am 
jeeeesus relax already

cutuphalfdead wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

I'm sorry I called you stupid.

so you called me stupid?? i thought it was just my idea... Bummer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment