The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1726 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: TV: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 2:16 pm 
Future Drummer

A TV show about how hair length is inversely related to violence in the New Mexico drug market.

Post subject: Re: TV: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 2:52 pm 
A Return To Form

Never been more addicted to a TV show than I am to this one. Hey, get it? ADDICTED?

Gonna be very sad to say goodbye to the total bad-assness of Cranston.

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 2:55 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

havent seen a single episode of this, but i got season 1 and 2 for my wife on bluray and hope to start watching them soon so we can see what all the fuss is about

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 3:01 pm 
A Return To Form

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
havent seen a single episode of this, but i got season 1 and 2 for my wife on bluray and hope to start watching them soon so we can see what all the fuss is about

I wish I could start over and devour it with fresh eyes again. Enjoy the ride. :D

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 3:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

griffinxi wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

I wish I could start over and devour it with fresh eyes again. Enjoy the ride. :D

ive done that with a lot of popular tv shows and usually really love being able to watch as many episodes as i want with out waiting till next week, but then we getting caught up its hard to ignore the new episodes for a while season just to wait for the DVDs :lol:

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 5:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 7:04 pm 
Future Drummer

Gilligan on the series finale:

“It’s going to be polarizing no matter how you slice it,” Gilligan told Vulture, “but you don’t want 10 percent to say it was great and 90 percent to say it sucked ass. You want those numbers to be reversed.” Of course, what exactly is going to happen we won't know until the episode airs, but according to Gilligan, he's aiming for a kind of bittersweet finale, not unlike one that was stamped on one of the greatest classic movies of all time -- "Casablanca."

“No one gets everything they wanted. The guy doesn’t get the girl, but he has the satisfaction of knowing she wants him. And he doesn’t get her because he has to save the free world. What better ending is there than that?” Gilligan said about the "pretty perfect" finale of the film. “I’m not saying we’re going to approach that or reach in that direction. Our story doesn’t line up [with 'Casablanca']. But we’re looking for that kind of satisfaction.”

But the elephant in the room is whether or not Walt will truly get away with it, or finally pay for all the breaking bad that he's done. And *spoiler* Gilligan is pretty clear on this point. “Not at all, really,” he said. “I’m very cornball in my own view of the world. It just makes sense to me that bad people should get punished and good people should be rewarded. I know it doesn’t work like that in real life, but there’s always that yearning.”

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 6:18 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Watching the whole show over again to get ready for the last half season.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 7:06 pm 
A Return To Form

Harry Lime wrote:
Gilligan on the series finale:

“It’s going to be polarizing no matter how you slice it,” Gilligan told Vulture, “but you don’t want 10 percent to say it was great and 90 percent to say it sucked ass. You want those numbers to be reversed.” Of course, what exactly is going to happen we won't know until the episode airs, but according to Gilligan, he's aiming for a kind of bittersweet finale, not unlike one that was stamped on one of the greatest classic movies of all time -- "Casablanca."

“No one gets everything they wanted. The guy doesn’t get the girl, but he has the satisfaction of knowing she wants him. And he doesn’t get her because he has to save the free world. What better ending is there than that?” Gilligan said about the "pretty perfect" finale of the film. “I’m not saying we’re going to approach that or reach in that direction. Our story doesn’t line up [with 'Casablanca']. But we’re looking for that kind of satisfaction.”

But the elephant in the room is whether or not Walt will truly get away with it, or finally pay for all the breaking bad that he's done. And *spoiler* Gilligan is pretty clear on this point. “Not at all, really,” he said. “I’m very cornball in my own view of the world. It just makes sense to me that bad people should get punished and good people should be rewarded. I know it doesn’t work like that in real life, but there’s always that yearning.”

***MILD SPOILERS***

Trying to translate that "satisfaction" motif from Casablanca to BB, I'm guessing Walt is going to "get away with it," but at a huge cost. In other words I don't see him getting killed or going to prison. He'll probably wriggle his way out of culpability, but he'll find himself alone. The satisfaction element will maybe come from the viewer knowing that he's been deeply wounded.

I am most curious about how the Walt/Jesse relationship concludes. A season or two ago, I would've said there was a face-off coming; now I'm not so sure. I suppose Hank's imminent investigation will turn up a lot of skeletons, so that may still happen.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 7:28 pm 
The Master

Spoiler: show
Im thinking he will have to kill his family to save his own selfish ass. Thats what I think

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 7:56 pm 
A Return To Form

:D It's a good guess.

PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 4:38 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

If Walt lives, there has to be a balance. He has to lose something that means a lot to him. I can see a scenario where you "gets away with it" but it will have a price.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 5:21 am 
Future Drummer

PostPosted: Sat January 26, 2013 2:20 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Sat January 26, 2013 2:56 am 
jeeeesus relax already

i miss this show so much...yeah its gonna be really hard when it finishes.

Spoiler: show
i always thought walter jr is going to die because of walter.

PostPosted: Thu March 07, 2013 5:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 9:11 pm 
RM Elitist

theplatypus wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
it's the same story, over and over and over.

We could probably take this conversation over to the Breaking Bad thread, but I'm interested in seeing you elaborate on this. I really don't see that at all.

I can kinda see what he's saying. Again all the standard qualifications- I love Breaking Bad, it's a great show, so on and so forth.

It does feel kind of... cyclical?
Walt and Jesse are working together
Walt's crazy alienates/upsets drives Jesse away (either to his own business, or a woman, or drugs)
Walt does something to get jesse back (killing gus's men, comatizing jesses girlfriend's kid, letting jesse's girlfriend die)
which leads to...

Walt and Jesse are working together.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 9:18 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

You think "Breaking Bad" is the story of the relationship between Jesse and Walt?

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 9:38 pm 
RM Elitist

theplatypus wrote:
You think "Breaking Bad" is the story of the relationship between Jesse and Walt?

I think it actually is a big part of what the show is about, because the way Walt relates to Jessie is usually the best indicator of where Walt is at any given moment. Walt/Jesse relationship is probably one of the best parts of the show,and the best dynamic between two characters in the entire series by a long shot.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 9:49 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Breaking Bad is about breaking bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1726 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment