Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)

Mon August 21, 2017 2:40 am

Viserion the Wight Dragon

Mon August 21, 2017 2:45 am

I've got more thoughts on this, but I'm on board with this take (i.e. that the show has morphed into conventional fantasy instead of subverting the genre): https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thron ... d-the-wall

Mon August 21, 2017 2:49 am

Simple Torture wrote:I've got more thoughts on this, but I'm on board with this take (i.e. that the show has morphed into conventional fantasy instead of subverting the genre): https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thron ... d-the-wall

Yeah, my wife and I have been joking about the weird representation of time and distance this season. Bran spent "years" north of the wall? Huh?

Mon August 21, 2017 2:50 am

The show feels very different this season.

Mon August 21, 2017 2:53 am

BurtReynolds wrote:The show feels very different this season.

It feels rushed, but I loved this one. Funny and suspenseful despite Jon constantly being saved by someone else.

Mon August 21, 2017 2:55 am

That old colosseum looks like a great spot for Clegane Bowl.

Mon August 21, 2017 2:55 am

i liked the episode (though it is not a favorite) but it did require some suspension of disbelief

Mon August 21, 2017 3:00 am

Surely some big swerve is coming soon, right? The last season can't just be a long slog of a battle with ice zombies.

Mon August 21, 2017 3:01 am

Simple Torture wrote:I've got more thoughts on this, but I'm on board with this take (i.e. that the show has morphed into conventional fantasy instead of subverting the genre): https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thron ... d-the-wall

this article makes a good point about crossing into straight up fantasyland this episode, and by sacrificing the depth of storytelling that's been so great throughout the series.

they should have just done two full seasons, this is pissing me off now

Mon August 21, 2017 3:14 am

Read the books. The story doesn't suck there.

Mon August 21, 2017 3:48 am

cutuphalfdead wrote:Read the books. The story doesn't suck there.

some of it does

Mon August 21, 2017 4:03 am

Mecca wrote:

some of it does

no it's all pretty good

Mon August 21, 2017 5:20 am

This was...something. Once you accept how completely stupid the ranging party north was you can enjoy the lake fight. I thought that was good. The Winterfell stuff was awful. Are there more than like five White Walkers?

Mon August 21, 2017 5:44 am

BurtReynolds wrote:Surely some big swerve is coming soon, right? The last season can't just be a long slog of a battle with ice zombies.

Seriously. One episode to reveal the ice dragon in combat, another for Dany & Jon to equip Cersei's dragon gun with a dragonglass spear, one episode to shoot it. What else is there? Three or four more episodes of Littlefinger doing his twirly moustache routine?

Mon August 21, 2017 9:08 am

tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:Surely some big swerve is coming soon, right? The last season can't just be a long slog of a battle with ice zombies.

Seriously. One episode to reveal the ice dragon in combat, another for Dany & Jon to equip Cersei's dragon gun with a dragonglass spear, one episode to shoot it. What else is there? Three or four more episodes of Littlefinger doing his twirly moustache routine?

A few episodes from the "dragon breathes fire at the Night King, but he doesn't die!" moment and the subsequent "ring to Mount Doom" storyline.

Mon August 21, 2017 10:27 am

ABNorman wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

A few episodes from the "dragon breathes fire at the Night King, but he doesn't die!" moment and the subsequent "ring to Mount Doom" storyline.

Have only read the first 4 books, so sorry if these guesses are what happens:

Rescue Yara / Redeem Theon
Kill Gendry, Jamie, Tyrion , hound and mountain, etc.
Euron kills Dany? (Drowned God rises up Prophecy)
Arya disguises herself as Sansa to kill Cersie
The destruction of kings landing (like dany saw in her vision)

The complaints are fair, but given the rather extreme limit to the remaining episodes, the subtleties have to go.

Mon August 21, 2017 10:49 am

Mecca wrote:

some of it does

the last two books were a steep drop off in quality from the first three

Mon August 21, 2017 10:54 am

The last two were mostly awful.

Mon August 21, 2017 10:57 am

BurtReynolds wrote:The last two were mostly awful.

Ok, so the series actually IS following the books. great

Mon August 21, 2017 11:32 am

Bi_3 wrote:
ABNorman wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Have only read the first 4 books, so sorry if these guesses are what happens:

Rescue Yara / Redeem Theon
Kill Gendry, Jamie, Tyrion , hound and mountain, etc.
Euron kills Dany? (Drowned God rises up Prophecy)
Arya disguises herself as Sansa to kill Cersie
The destruction of kings landing (like dany saw in her vision

Ok, this sounds right
Post a reply