The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350 ... 505  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 05, 2017 4:00 pm 
post-structuralist

Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
King Robert is a pretty sad character. Knowing what we know about Lyanna marrying Rhaegar and King Robert basically shutting Cersei out because of how much he said he loved her or wanted her and she didn't even want him back.

watching the season finale, when bran sees rhaegar and lyanna, i thought about cercei talking to robert about how much she adored him when they were first married.
robert was the tragic flaw in the social circle that, had he not been the tragic character, would have not only saved the kingdoms from everything terrible to come, but would have kept ned alive, cersei from being less than hateful and eventually a terrible human being, and the Starks from enduring all the destruction to their family unit they had.
For storyline purposes, it wouldn't be the same, so i understand the function of robert, but knowing his failings once they revealed the secret marriage, made it hard not to pine for robert to be a better person from the start. You get to see and experience everything terrible his flaws led to...

Spoiler: show

haha and all, but i spent a good 5 minutes writing that post and all you got is a meme?

millennials.

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Tue September 05, 2017 4:04 pm 
slower than 82% of US

malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
King Robert is a pretty sad character. Knowing what we know about Lyanna marrying Rhaegar and King Robert basically shutting Cersei out because of how much he said he loved her or wanted her and she didn't even want him back.

watching the season finale, when bran sees rhaegar and lyanna, i thought about cercei talking to robert about how much she adored him when they were first married.
robert was the tragic flaw in the social circle that, had he not been the tragic character, would have not only saved the kingdoms from everything terrible to come, but would have kept ned alive, cersei from being less than hateful and eventually a terrible human being, and the Starks from enduring all the destruction to their family unit they had.
For storyline purposes, it wouldn't be the same, so i understand the function of robert, but knowing his failings once they revealed the secret marriage, made it hard not to pine for robert to be a better person from the start. You get to see and experience everything terrible his flaws led to...

haha and all, but i spent a good 5 minutes writing that post and all you got is a meme?

millennials.
you took my idea and over-explained it like i didn't already know all that.

old people.

PostPosted: Tue September 05, 2017 4:09 pm 
post-structuralist

Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:

millennials.

old people.

I didn't. I gave a sincere reply, but ill be sure to answer in four words or less (or even better, pictures) from now on so you guys can understand :roll:

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Tue September 05, 2017 4:12 pm 
slower than 82% of US

malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:

millennials.

old people.

I didn't. I gave a sincere reply, but ill be sure to answer in four words or less (or even better, pictures) from now on so you guys can understand :roll:

i appreciated the reply, mary. I just didn't have anything to add. that picture made me think of it, so i posted it. you don't seem like the type that needs a pat on the back post from me; im not chud.

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 6:30 pm 
slower than 82% of US

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 7:23 pm 
post-structuralist

Mecca wrote:

Beckett's dog?

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 5:31 am 
mXn

I'm re-watching the whole show from the beginning. Currently in the middle of season 1.

Can someone explain why Catelyn took Tyrion to The Eyrie? I get that she let on like she was headed to Winterfell, and that was a decoy and she went to The Eyrie instead, but what was the point of bringing him before Lyssa?

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 9:21 am 
The Master

to be put on trial for conspiring to kill her husband jon arryn i think

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 2:50 pm 
mXn

spike wrote:

And Lyssa wanted none of it because... she's cray?

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 2:51 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:

She...she did put him on trial.

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 2:54 pm 
mXn

Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:

Not unil he basically begged for it.

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 3:00 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Bammer wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:

True, but she thought her plan was working right up until the very end: leave him in the sky cells until he gets so nervous/worried/mad that he ends up confessing; that would've given her plenty of leeway to send him out the moon door, and there wouldn't have been any question that he deserved it. An actual trial is much messier.

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 3:08 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:

True, but she thought her plan was working right up until the very end: leave him in the sky cells until he gets so nervous/worried/mad that he ends up confessing; that would've given her plenty of leeway to send him out the moon door, and there wouldn't have been any question that he deserved it. An actual trial is much messier.

Also, don't forget that Lyssa is not crazy--she was the one who murdered her husband, and not a single person in the realm suspected it. She put on the mask of a madwoman in order to shield herself, and it worked perfectly. She needed an excuse to kill Tyrion because the trial that's Robyn's right as Lord of the Vale--i.e., to sit in judgement over Tyrion's "crimes"--would've been seen as a kangaroo court by the rest of the realm. As soon as Tyrion demands a trial, he's playing into her hands, until he demands trial by combat and Bronn stands up for him.

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 3:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:

Also, don't forget that Lyssa is not crazy--she was the one who murdered her husband, and not a single person in the realm suspected it. She put on the mask of a madwoman in order to shield herself, and it worked perfectly. She needed an excuse to kill Tyrion because the trial that's Robyn's right as Lord of the Vale--i.e., to sit in judgement over Tyrion's "crimes"--would've been seen as a kangaroo court by the rest of the realm. As soon as Tyrion demands a trial, he's playing into her hands, until he demands trial by combat and Bronn stands up for him.

She is still sort of crazy, although it can be difficult to determine how much, especially in the series.

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 3:25 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Anders wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:

She is still sort of crazy, although it can be difficult to determine how much, especially in the series.

she's crazy jealous. In her mind, getting Littlefinger's affection was her goal because he always loved Cat and she felt inadequate next to her.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:21 am 
mXn

Thanks for all your help. This is just the first in what will be an extensive series of "Bammer doesn't know what the hell is going on so I'll be asking more questions" posts.

Watching it over again there really is a ton of foreshadowing, even in just the first 5-6 episodes. What an amazing story GRRM created, holy shit.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 7:47 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I have 90 days to kill between now and the Last Jedi.

I'm restarting GOT from episode one.

God you'd miss Ned Stark.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 7:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Look forward to seeing it all again as well. Think I will do it for the last season.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 8:44 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

It's already mental. Tyrion. John snow Arya Sansa. They all look so young.
But seeing millions of seeds being sown of brilliant.

Tyrions knowing look at jaimie and Cersei when he tells them Bran may yet live mainly.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 8:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Helps a lot that it is based on books. Not sure a regular tv show could have done it the same way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350 ... 505  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment