The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326 ... 505  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 7:43 am 
what on earth am I talking about

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I watched it too.
Spoiler: show
The Arya/Sansa stuff is fucking awful.

i wondered this last week too. What's arya doing?? It seems like a total change of direction for her character. Not seeing the point of it at all.

Also the episode 7 script is 'out there'. Be careful on YouTube etc.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 8:21 am 
what on earth am I talking about

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 9:15 am 
The Beef

Yeah, the Arya thing is annoying. What I took away from it is that Arya is being dumb, and Sansa is totally aware of what's going on - hence sending Brienne away directly after Littlefinger hinted that she could intervene, but I don't think Arya is in on the game, which means she's being incredibly stupid.

Maybe the justification is that she still hasn't quite regained her humanity after spending so long trying to become no one.

I think Littlefinger gets shanked by Sansa next episode, and we're meant to think it's Arya up till Sansa reveals herself - Arya then respects/connects with Sansa, or something. It's all very messy though.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 10:44 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

since everyone else has seen it...

thoughts:
1. Yes, the Arya stuff is dumb. I have no idea what they are doing.

2. Sansa sent Brienne off why exactly? I guess if she is on to Littlefinger, that would make some sense. I guess.

3. This zombie kidnapping plot is so fucking DUMB. It's unintentional comedy.

4. What was Dany's motivation to save them? She is madly in love with Jon now? Why didn't she just go with them?

5. Ravenmail is ridiculously fast. Also, why didn't Jon send one to Winterfell to let everyone know he was still alive.

6. I'm going to be charitable and assume that the white walkers can see or think through their wights. It almost looks like the zombies can think, which is dumb.

7. Some asshole spoiled Benjen and the dragon death for me, but I thought it sounded so dumb it couldn't be real. But here we are.

8. The little character bits with the guys going north was nice, but it was kinda silly how they kept shuffling up the characters. This show moves too fast.

9. Polar bear was cool, but the fight was kinda poorly done.

10. Benjen showing up and dying was pointless and dumb. Why did he wait to help? Why anything?

11. Dondarrion is cool as fuck. Glad he didn't die.

12. Emilia Clarke is such a painfully awful actress. Pure cringe. She didn't seem to care too much about the dead dragon either.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 12:11 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Question about the latest episode that leaked:

I've only watched it once, but do we see the chains that the White Walkers use to bring the dragon out of the water before that final scene? Are they visible during the stand-off earlier on?

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 12:22 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

BootsToAsses wrote:

I've only watched it once, but do we see the chains that the White Walkers use to bring the dragon out of the water before that final scene? Are they visible during the stand-off earlier on?

I don't think so, which is probably why they peaced out after Dany left and then came back.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 12:23 pm 
The Beef

BootsToAsses wrote:

This is a theory:

https://imgur.com/a/gMhX9

Another is that the Night King has the ability to see through time like Bran, so knew the dragons would come if he waited, so could've got the chains at any point (Hardhome?).

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 12:28 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

ABNorman wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:

This is a theory:

Another is that the Night King has the ability to see through time like Bran, so knew the dragons would come if he waited, so could've got the chains at any point (Hardhome?).

I'm being dumb, but what am I seeing here?

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 12:35 pm 
The Master

basically, that episode was dumb as hell but also completely awesome. possibly the shark jumper that will set the tone from here on out, but i think ep 7 could reel things back in a bit.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 12:37 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
I wasn't going to watch the leaked episode, but with all of the spoilers floating around (and the fact that I start a new job Monday morning), I just went for it. Lots of spoilers below...

When it comes to Jon's quest, there were a few fun surprises, mostly the bear (get it, Tormund!). But most of everything else was pretty well choreographed, especially Dany's involvement--I wish that was obfuscated more so that it was a more dramatic moment. We knew a dragon had to fall before the end of this year, so while I wasn't shocked, it was done visually well, and Dany was appropriately shaken afterwards. I'll given them this: when the dragon sunk below the ice, I wasn't sure it was going to come back up to be raised from the dead, but I'm glad it was. I'm fine with just Thoros biting it; basically everyone I talked to or listened to this past week predicted at least 3-4 of them to fall, so having only one go (not counting red shirts) was actually unexpected. Loved the small moment when the Hound threw the rock and that got the army going.

As basically everyone else has said, wtf is going on in Winterhell? We are supposed to believe that Arya is, on the one hand, an incredible judge of character and able to take on the personality/mannerisms of anyone she meets, but, on the other, she can't feel her sister's actual pain? I feel like we missed a step here someplace, and a longer season may have been able to draw it out more, but right now the tension feels a bit unearned. I feel fine with Bran not stepping in to clear this shit up--he has bigger fish to fry, and he's already told them this year that he's basically not a Stark anymore, so he probably doesn't care about intra-family squabbles very much. There's an ice dragon, yo.

I'm genuinely not sure where the finale is going to go (for the most part) which is super cool. Looks like all of these people are going to be in King's Landing at the same time: Dany, Jon, Davos, Jorah, the Hound, Tyrion, Brienne, Cersei, Jaime, Bronn, Qyburn (Qyburn??), the Mountain, and Bernie. We haven't had this many major characters in the same place since either Season 1 or the Sept of Balor (ruh-roh!). I'm pretty sure the Cleganes are going to fight, and that Sandor may get an assist from Brienne. Cersei is going to try some shit, but I imagine Jaime isn't going to be happy about it. This could be the one where the Queen bites it. I'm wondering if Euron will appear here or someplace else.

Final thought: I wouldn't be surprised (and I'd be perfectly fine with) if that's the last we see of the White Walkers this year.

it seemed to me only the hound is bound for king's landing right now (with the proof). unless your leak had a preview segment? mine did not.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 12:46 pm 
The Beef

BootsToAsses wrote:
ABNorman wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:

This is a theory:

I'm being dumb, but what am I seeing here?

Apparently it's an old chain ferry built across the water there.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 2:11 pm 
slower than 82% of US

ABNorman wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:

This is a theory:

the white walkers aren't the slowest moving army ever; they were just scouring the land beyond the wall for chains

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 2:21 pm 
The Master

mlbtraderumors.com reporting that several teams are inquiring about the night king's availability for the pennant race and post season

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 2:50 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

spike wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I wasn't going to watch the leaked episode, but with all of the spoilers floating around (and the fact that I start a new job Monday morning), I just went for it. Lots of spoilers below...

When it comes to Jon's quest, there were a few fun surprises, mostly the bear (get it, Tormund!). But most of everything else was pretty well choreographed, especially Dany's involvement--I wish that was obfuscated more so that it was a more dramatic moment. We knew a dragon had to fall before the end of this year, so while I wasn't shocked, it was done visually well, and Dany was appropriately shaken afterwards. I'll given them this: when the dragon sunk below the ice, I wasn't sure it was going to come back up to be raised from the dead, but I'm glad it was. I'm fine with just Thoros biting it; basically everyone I talked to or listened to this past week predicted at least 3-4 of them to fall, so having only one go (not counting red shirts) was actually unexpected. Loved the small moment when the Hound threw the rock and that got the army going.

As basically everyone else has said, wtf is going on in Winterhell? We are supposed to believe that Arya is, on the one hand, an incredible judge of character and able to take on the personality/mannerisms of anyone she meets, but, on the other, she can't feel her sister's actual pain? I feel like we missed a step here someplace, and a longer season may have been able to draw it out more, but right now the tension feels a bit unearned. I feel fine with Bran not stepping in to clear this shit up--he has bigger fish to fry, and he's already told them this year that he's basically not a Stark anymore, so he probably doesn't care about intra-family squabbles very much. There's an ice dragon, yo.

I'm genuinely not sure where the finale is going to go (for the most part) which is super cool. Looks like all of these people are going to be in King's Landing at the same time: Dany, Jon, Davos, Jorah, the Hound, Tyrion, Brienne, Cersei, Jaime, Bronn, Qyburn (Qyburn??), the Mountain, and Bernie. We haven't had this many major characters in the same place since either Season 1 or the Sept of Balor (ruh-roh!). I'm pretty sure the Cleganes are going to fight, and that Sandor may get an assist from Brienne. Cersei is going to try some shit, but I imagine Jaime isn't going to be happy about it. This could be the one where the Queen bites it. I'm wondering if Euron will appear here or someplace else.

Final thought: I wouldn't be surprised (and I'd be perfectly fine with) if that's the last we see of the White Walkers this year.

it seemed to me only the hound is bound for king's landing right now (with the proof). unless your leak had a preview segment? mine did not.

Hmmm maybe I was assuming too much, and I may have gotten things mixed up. The Hound most likely got aboard Jon's ship to head to King's Landing, and they probably took off before Jon returned--in theory, he could be heading to KL alone and Jon, Davos, Jorah, and Dany could be on the dragon-sailed ship. But the Hound hasn't sworn allegiance to Jon or Dany or anyone, so what authority would he have to head to KL to parlay with Cersei? The rest, or at least a few, of the others have to be heading there, too.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 2:58 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

ABNorman wrote:
Yeah, the Arya thing is annoying. What I took away from it is that Arya is being dumb, and Sansa is totally aware of what's going on - hence sending Brienne away directly after Littlefinger hinted that she could intervene, but I don't think Arya is in on the game, which means she's being incredibly stupid.

Maybe the justification is that she still hasn't quite regained her humanity after spending so long trying to become no one.

I think Littlefinger gets shanked by Sansa next episode, and we're meant to think it's Arya up till Sansa reveals herself - Arya then respects/connects with Sansa, or something. It's all very messy though.

As I said in my post above (plenty o' spoilers):

It feels like there's something missing, like there should have been another two scenes or another conflict between Sansa and Arya to get them to the point where they are at the end of Episode 6. Arya saw Sansa defend Jon in front of the Northern lords, and somehow that's a piece of evidence causing Arya to become suspicious of her. There needed to be something else--like maybe Sansa lied to her about something and Arya confronts her about it before she finds the letter--to get her so entrenched against her. I would've been more on board with that.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 2:59 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I accidentally made that last post without a spoiler tag, but I think I got it fixed in like 2.5 seconds. Be careful, everybody!

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 3:28 pm 
post-structuralist

not one of you had the fortitude to resist watching the leaked episode?

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 3:30 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I did it more out of the fear of reading/spoilers. And with my schedule next week, I may not have watched it until Tuesday/Wednesday, so I just dove in.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 3:32 pm 
post-structuralist

Simple Torture wrote:
I did it more out of the fear of reading/spoilers. And with my schedule next week, I may not have watched it until Tuesday/Wednesday, so I just dove in.

I'll let it pass this time, but don't let me catch you doing it again, young man

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 3:33 pm 
post-structuralist

jk, i just want to click the spoilers now and am trying my sour grapes card out

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326 ... 505  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment