The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 505  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 2:24 am 
The Master

So, I got rid of HBO (as well as many other premium channels) due to me getting apple tv and netflix stream etc....

Now I realize i wont get to watch this :(

If anyone has any suggestions...by all means let me know:)

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 3:12 am 
A Return To Form

I got rid of HBO over the summer, but a good friend of mine gave me his HBO Go! login info, so I was able to watch Boardwalk Empire this season....so I'll use it or this, too!

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 1:56 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I completely forgot about that scene. I really need to read book 3 again.

There is so much from the books I've forgotten it's almost like I never read them. At least when they make changes it doesn't bother me since I don't remember how it happened in the books anyways.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 3:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

psychobain wrote:
book 3 is so fuckin awesome

many OMG moments

lets see how theyll adapt it to the tv.....

about season 5

Spoiler: show
i dont think they can do a season only showing book 4 and then another season with book 5....i bet they are going to mix those books

I think you're probably right. But I'm not sure they'll need 2 seasons for each book (4 & 5). Unless they want to fill time before books 6 & 7 are out. I think books 4 & 5 will be mixed together and the plots spread over 2 seasons, like book three over seasons 3 & 4.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 5:21 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

hopefully the show doesn't linger too long on the events of book 4. i'm 2/3 of the way through it and finding it dreadfully boring. too many storylines of characters i don't care for, and none of the ones i do care for.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 5:25 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

mf wrote:
hopefully the show doesn't linger too long on the events of book 4. i'm 2/3 of the way through it and finding it dreadfully boring. too many storylines of characters i don't care for, and none of the ones i do care for.

I'm at the same point as you in book 4. The Ironborn chapters are good, but the rest is just a sludge. I'm going to finish out of obligation. I'm glad I'm reading this now and not when it came out. I can imagine how upset the fans of this series were with this book, after the long wait from the outstanding third book.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 6:05 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm one of the very few people I've encountered that loved book 4. It's my second favorite, so far. I was completely invested in that story. And the themes - where Martin goes with the political action and the feminist commentary - are some of my favorite elements of the series.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 8:39 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm one of the very few people I've encountered that loved book 4. It's my second favorite, so far. I was completely invested in that story. And the themes - where Martin goes with the political action and the feminist commentary - are some of my favorite elements of the series.

I see what you're getting at, but I think it could have been about 200-300 pages shorter.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 11:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
If anyone has any suggestions...by all means let me know:)

piratebay

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 11:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I see what you're getting at, but I think it could have been about 200-300 pages shorter.

i get what he tried to do, but i love the whole world book like the third one

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 1:09 pm 
Broken Tamborine

My opinion on what they need to do/will do for Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons Seasons

One GRRM is not at his best in these dude needed an editor to match his bloated ego by this time. They are going to need to combine them obviously so you don't have half the cast gone for a season or more.

could they do them in two seasons? Probably. We would probably see a good bit of deviations from the book and lots of parts left out. Some fanboys would be pissed but i think that is probably good.

God damn following Brienne around forever in Feast and Dany acting like a little bitch doing nothing like she does in DWD would be horrible for 3 seasons

so i think they should cut them down and do them in two seasons.

What they will probably do though is try to make those two books into 3 seasons....... That would put us at season 7 already...Would they lose too many viewers going though that period? Would the show be cancelled? Would GRRM even have the next book done by that time? I think they are all legitamate questions. So is the thought of having to recast the kids. They are going to have acting careers and other opportunties to pursue plus they are going to start looking old. Not that much time passes in the books.

The first three books are the best we've seen in the series so far. If we can get Season's 1-4 done really well I'll be happy. Everything after that im quite worried about.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 3:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Sure, but the same a could be said about all the books. Game and Storm are the only two that feel like they're absolutely the right length, to me. Clash goes on way too long, Feast is too long, but again, I liked it, and Dance is the only one that I felt the urge to skim. I fought that urge. I read every word. But Dance was, by far, the hardest one for me to get through. And I think it has the least amount of payoff, so far.

Hoping book six delivers BIG TIME on the promises made in book five.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 4:00 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Sure, but the same a could be said about all the books. Game and Storm are the only two that feel like they're absolutely the right length, to me. Clash goes on way too long, Feast is too long, but again, I liked it, and Dance is the only one that I felt the urge to skim. I fought that urge. I read every word. But Dance was, by far, the hardest one for me to get through. And I think it has the least amount of payoff, so far.

I think I liked Dance better than Feast because the plot seemed to move towards in the second half. It helped it had the more interesting characters.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 4:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I think I liked Dance better than Feast because the plot seemed to move towards in the second half. It helped it had the more interesting characters.

That's probably where I differ from most fans. I love the characters in Feast. Tyrion and Danny are the only ones I really care about in Dance and I think
both of their stories are pretty weak. Danny's especially. He could have cut her story down to about four chapters. Tyrion's is more interesting, but again, felt poorly paced and windy

Plus, the less Arya is in a book, the less I'm bound to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 4:56 pm 
Future Drummer

I really wonder if they get to book 4 how they will make that into a show. I am guessing it might resemble the wire season 4.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 5:51 pm 
AnalLog

Ilyn Payne is dying :(
http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/176753/9

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 9:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

I'm far too lazy to check and see that this hasn't already been posted. Hope I'm not entering into B territory...

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 2:13 am 
Rank This Poster

spoilers...book 5

i still love Ned Stark, he's one of my fav from the whole series, i dont know, something about that guy
i think that Jon's mother will appear at some point, i just finished that Davos part where the lord mentions what happened between Ned and Her

but you know, i would really love to read some stories pre-book 1, Mad King, Robert's Rebellion, Balon's Rebellion...some really good stuff out there

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 12:39 pm 
Broken Tamborine

psychobain wrote:
spoilers...book 5

i still love Ned Stark, he's one of my fav from the whole series, i dont know, something about that guy
i think that Jon's mother will appear at some point, i just finished that Davos part where the lord mentions what happened between Ned and Her

but you know, i would really love to read some stories pre-book 1, Mad King, Robert's Rebellion, Balon's Rebellion...some really good stuff out there

For pre stories you can read the Dunk and Egg Novella's. A person we meet in Dance is actually talked about a good bit in the second one and if i remember right is in the 3rd (there have been 3 and a 4th is coming out this year. It takes place about 100 years before the death of Jon Arryn in Book 1.

The STories are as follows
The Hedge Knight (1998)- It was collected in the book Legends a Robert Silverberg collection
The Sworn Sword (2003)- Collected in Legends II a Robert Silverberg Collection
The Mystery Knight (2010) Collected in Warriors (forget who put this one out)

As for Jon's mother i think a lot of folks (myself included) believe she is dead. If she is alive i wonder who she is and that would be a wild twist and i totally agree with you about NED he is one of my favs and i hate that he had to die but his death really is what pushes so many things to happen in the books i understand why it is necesary.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 12:41 pm 
Broken Tamborine

kreng wrote:

I hate this for him. What i did not know until now is that he was in a punk rock band. I hope he can enjoy his last few months.

McParadigm wrote:
http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

I'm far too lazy to check and see that this hasn't already been posted. Hope I'm not entering into B territory...

In the past i've not read any of the chapters before the books have come out..... but i'm so tempted!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 505  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment