The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6936 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 343, 344, 345, 346, 347
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 05, 2017 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
post-structuralist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:22 pm
Posts: 14725
Location: faked by jorge
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
King Robert is a pretty sad character. Knowing what we know about Lyanna marrying Rhaegar and King Robert basically shutting Cersei out because of how much he said he loved her or wanted her and she didn't even want him back.

watching the season finale, when bran sees rhaegar and lyanna, i thought about cercei talking to robert about how much she adored him when they were first married.
robert was the tragic flaw in the social circle that, had he not been the tragic character, would have not only saved the kingdoms from everything terrible to come, but would have kept ned alive, cersei from being less than hateful and eventually a terrible human being, and the Starks from enduring all the destruction to their family unit they had.
For storyline purposes, it wouldn't be the same, so i understand the function of robert, but knowing his failings once they revealed the secret marriage, made it hard not to pine for robert to be a better person from the start. You get to see and experience everything terrible his flaws led to...

Spoiler: show
Image

haha and all, but i spent a good 5 minutes writing that post and all you got is a meme?


millennials.

_________________
Dev wrote:
im such a nice guy and malice is total garbage.


Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 05, 2017 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Gym Leader
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 7:17 pm
Posts: 11044
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
King Robert is a pretty sad character. Knowing what we know about Lyanna marrying Rhaegar and King Robert basically shutting Cersei out because of how much he said he loved her or wanted her and she didn't even want him back.

watching the season finale, when bran sees rhaegar and lyanna, i thought about cercei talking to robert about how much she adored him when they were first married.
robert was the tragic flaw in the social circle that, had he not been the tragic character, would have not only saved the kingdoms from everything terrible to come, but would have kept ned alive, cersei from being less than hateful and eventually a terrible human being, and the Starks from enduring all the destruction to their family unit they had.
For storyline purposes, it wouldn't be the same, so i understand the function of robert, but knowing his failings once they revealed the secret marriage, made it hard not to pine for robert to be a better person from the start. You get to see and experience everything terrible his flaws led to...

Spoiler: show
Image

haha and all, but i spent a good 5 minutes writing that post and all you got is a meme?


millennials.
you took my idea and over-explained it like i didn't already know all that.

old people.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 05, 2017 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
post-structuralist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:22 pm
Posts: 14725
Location: faked by jorge
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
King Robert is a pretty sad character. Knowing what we know about Lyanna marrying Rhaegar and King Robert basically shutting Cersei out because of how much he said he loved her or wanted her and she didn't even want him back.

watching the season finale, when bran sees rhaegar and lyanna, i thought about cercei talking to robert about how much she adored him when they were first married.
robert was the tragic flaw in the social circle that, had he not been the tragic character, would have not only saved the kingdoms from everything terrible to come, but would have kept ned alive, cersei from being less than hateful and eventually a terrible human being, and the Starks from enduring all the destruction to their family unit they had.
For storyline purposes, it wouldn't be the same, so i understand the function of robert, but knowing his failings once they revealed the secret marriage, made it hard not to pine for robert to be a better person from the start. You get to see and experience everything terrible his flaws led to...

Spoiler: show
Image

haha and all, but i spent a good 5 minutes writing that post and all you got is a meme?


millennials.
you took my idea and over-explained it like i didn't already know all that.

old people.


I didn't. I gave a sincere reply, but ill be sure to answer in four words or less (or even better, pictures) from now on so you guys can understand :roll:

_________________
Dev wrote:
im such a nice guy and malice is total garbage.


Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 05, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Gym Leader
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 7:17 pm
Posts: 11044
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
King Robert is a pretty sad character. Knowing what we know about Lyanna marrying Rhaegar and King Robert basically shutting Cersei out because of how much he said he loved her or wanted her and she didn't even want him back.

watching the season finale, when bran sees rhaegar and lyanna, i thought about cercei talking to robert about how much she adored him when they were first married.
robert was the tragic flaw in the social circle that, had he not been the tragic character, would have not only saved the kingdoms from everything terrible to come, but would have kept ned alive, cersei from being less than hateful and eventually a terrible human being, and the Starks from enduring all the destruction to their family unit they had.
For storyline purposes, it wouldn't be the same, so i understand the function of robert, but knowing his failings once they revealed the secret marriage, made it hard not to pine for robert to be a better person from the start. You get to see and experience everything terrible his flaws led to...

Spoiler: show
Image

haha and all, but i spent a good 5 minutes writing that post and all you got is a meme?


millennials.
you took my idea and over-explained it like i didn't already know all that.

old people.


I didn't. I gave a sincere reply, but ill be sure to answer in four words or less (or even better, pictures) from now on so you guys can understand :roll:

i appreciated the reply, mary. I just didn't have anything to add. that picture made me think of it, so i posted it. you don't seem like the type that needs a pat on the back post from me; im not chud.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Gym Leader
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 7:17 pm
Posts: 11044
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
post-structuralist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:22 pm
Posts: 14725
Location: faked by jorge
Mecca wrote:
Image

Beckett's dog?

_________________
Dev wrote:
im such a nice guy and malice is total garbage.


Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 5:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 4422
I'm re-watching the whole show from the beginning. Currently in the middle of season 1.

Can someone explain why Catelyn took Tyrion to The Eyrie? I get that she let on like she was headed to Winterfell, and that was a decoy and she went to The Eyrie instead, but what was the point of bringing him before Lyssa?

_________________
matt reeder wrote:
Oklahoma is terrible. It's one of our worst states by almost every metric, including stolen sports teams.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 15312
to be put on trial for conspiring to kill her husband jon arryn i think


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 4422
spike wrote:
to be put on trial for conspiring to kill her husband jon arryn i think

And Lyssa wanted none of it because... she's cray?

_________________
matt reeder wrote:
Oklahoma is terrible. It's one of our worst states by almost every metric, including stolen sports teams.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 2:51 pm 
Online
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 11957
Location: Cumberland, RI
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
to be put on trial for conspiring to kill her husband jon arryn i think

And Lyssa wanted none of it because... she's cray?


She...she did put him on trial.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 4422
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
to be put on trial for conspiring to kill her husband jon arryn i think

And Lyssa wanted none of it because... she's cray?


She...she did put him on trial.

Not unil he basically begged for it.

_________________
matt reeder wrote:
Oklahoma is terrible. It's one of our worst states by almost every metric, including stolen sports teams.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 3:00 pm 
Online
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 11957
Location: Cumberland, RI
Bammer wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
to be put on trial for conspiring to kill her husband jon arryn i think

And Lyssa wanted none of it because... she's cray?


She...she did put him on trial.

Not unil he basically begged for it.


True, but she thought her plan was working right up until the very end: leave him in the sky cells until he gets so nervous/worried/mad that he ends up confessing; that would've given her plenty of leeway to send him out the moon door, and there wouldn't have been any question that he deserved it. An actual trial is much messier.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 3:08 pm 
Online
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 11957
Location: Cumberland, RI
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
to be put on trial for conspiring to kill her husband jon arryn i think

And Lyssa wanted none of it because... she's cray?


She...she did put him on trial.

Not unil he basically begged for it.


True, but she thought her plan was working right up until the very end: leave him in the sky cells until he gets so nervous/worried/mad that he ends up confessing; that would've given her plenty of leeway to send him out the moon door, and there wouldn't have been any question that he deserved it. An actual trial is much messier.


Also, don't forget that Lyssa is not crazy--she was the one who murdered her husband, and not a single person in the realm suspected it. She put on the mask of a madwoman in order to shield herself, and it worked perfectly. She needed an excuse to kill Tyrion because the trial that's Robyn's right as Lord of the Vale--i.e., to sit in judgement over Tyrion's "crimes"--would've been seen as a kangaroo court by the rest of the realm. As soon as Tyrion demands a trial, he's playing into her hands, until he demands trial by combat and Bronn stands up for him.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 2792
Location: Oslo, Norway
Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
to be put on trial for conspiring to kill her husband jon arryn i think

And Lyssa wanted none of it because... she's cray?


She...she did put him on trial.

Not unil he basically begged for it.


True, but she thought her plan was working right up until the very end: leave him in the sky cells until he gets so nervous/worried/mad that he ends up confessing; that would've given her plenty of leeway to send him out the moon door, and there wouldn't have been any question that he deserved it. An actual trial is much messier.


Also, don't forget that Lyssa is not crazy--she was the one who murdered her husband, and not a single person in the realm suspected it. She put on the mask of a madwoman in order to shield herself, and it worked perfectly. She needed an excuse to kill Tyrion because the trial that's Robyn's right as Lord of the Vale--i.e., to sit in judgement over Tyrion's "crimes"--would've been seen as a kangaroo court by the rest of the realm. As soon as Tyrion demands a trial, he's playing into her hands, until he demands trial by combat and Bronn stands up for him.


She is still sort of crazy, although it can be difficult to determine how much, especially in the series.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Gym Leader
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 7:17 pm
Posts: 11044
Anders wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
to be put on trial for conspiring to kill her husband jon arryn i think

And Lyssa wanted none of it because... she's cray?


She...she did put him on trial.

Not unil he basically begged for it.


True, but she thought her plan was working right up until the very end: leave him in the sky cells until he gets so nervous/worried/mad that he ends up confessing; that would've given her plenty of leeway to send him out the moon door, and there wouldn't have been any question that he deserved it. An actual trial is much messier.


Also, don't forget that Lyssa is not crazy--she was the one who murdered her husband, and not a single person in the realm suspected it. She put on the mask of a madwoman in order to shield herself, and it worked perfectly. She needed an excuse to kill Tyrion because the trial that's Robyn's right as Lord of the Vale--i.e., to sit in judgement over Tyrion's "crimes"--would've been seen as a kangaroo court by the rest of the realm. As soon as Tyrion demands a trial, he's playing into her hands, until he demands trial by combat and Bronn stands up for him.


She is still sort of crazy, although it can be difficult to determine how much, especially in the series.

she's crazy jealous. In her mind, getting Littlefinger's affection was her goal because he always loved Cat and she felt inadequate next to her.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 4422
Thanks for all your help. This is just the first in what will be an extensive series of "Bammer doesn't know what the hell is going on so I'll be asking more questions" posts.

Watching it over again there really is a ton of foreshadowing, even in just the first 5-6 episodes. What an amazing story GRRM created, holy shit.

_________________
matt reeder wrote:
Oklahoma is terrible. It's one of our worst states by almost every metric, including stolen sports teams.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6936 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 343, 344, 345, 346, 347

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat September 23, 2017 6:25 pm