The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317 ... 505  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:26 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Anders wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Anders wrote:
Feels very strange that Daenarys would agree to an alliance with Cersei at this point. Even with the army of the dead. I really can't see the three armies working together.

Besides that the season does feel rushed. They are travelling great diatances in seconds, and even with time passing in between, with the way the scenes mix, it doesn't make sense. The mission beyond the wall, the people on it, and how they are prepared, also seemed really off.

The fast traveling doesn't bother me. It is the lack of character development to understand their motivations and tactics that is the problem.

Which motivations and tactics are you thinking of?

All of the battles have seemed rushed. Part of it is for the element of surprise to the viewer, but the logistics of these battles are left unexplained.

The scenes around the Painted Table have seemed rushed.

Jaime/Cersei has been rushed.

Jon and Dany's relationship is progressing at warp speed.

The Starks at Winterfell have been rushed. Arya "knows" Sansa's true motivations and they've spent like 2 scenes together since they were reunited.

Assembling the Avengers to go north of the wall all happened in like 20 minutes of this episode. Rushed.

In previous seasons all of these would have been explored/shown in much more detail.

Yes, I really loved last week's episode, and have enjoyed the season, but I agree with most of those. There should be more room for relationships to evolve, more scenes between characters to flesh out what is happening, a feel of time passing and people travelling. With the amount of time that has passed elsewhere, Arya might have been back to Winterfell for months already. But it's impossible to tell.

It gets tougher as more characters come together. In previous seasons those bits of traveling were broken up by scenes with other characters. Now everyone is only in a few locations.

Still, I wish their was more dialogue with a natural conversational tone and less explaining what they are doing to move the plot along.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:32 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Hopefully the pace will slow down now, or at least next season.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I just.... I don't know. I feel like we've had over 80 hours of character development and we're moving in the final act of a major, major epic fantasy tale. There are still some character pieces that need to fall into place. There are still some mysteries to solve or whatever. But we know who these people are at this point. I don't have a problem with the ratio of character moments to plot/forward action moments right now.

I just want the action to flow from what's already been established. I want the character's choices to make sense for the characters and/or for the circumstance the character finds him/herself in.

Last night's episode was my least favorite of this new season. But it wasn't a bad episode by any stretch. It did feel rushed. Right now Gendry's return feels pointless, but let's see where it goes and how it plays out. I hate that Jamie and Bronn got out of their situation so easily. That was probably the thing that bugged me the most.

Otherwise... a totally fine episode.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:38 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I thought Gendry's reintroduction was fine. He's not that important of a character really.

I don't know what Arya's problem is with Sansa.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:41 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
I just.... I don't know. I feel like we've had over 80 hours of character development and we're moving in the final act of a major, major epic fantasy tale. There are still some character pieces that need to fall into place. There are still some mysteries to solve or whatever. But we know who these people are at this point. I don't have a problem with the ratio of character moments to plot/forward action moments right now.

I just want the action to flow from what's already been established. I want the character's choices to make sense for the characters and/or for the circumstance the character finds him/herself in.

Last night's episode was my least favorite of this new season. But it wasn't a bad episode by any stretch. It did feel rushed. Right now Gendry's return feels pointless, but let's see where it goes and how it plays out. I hate that Jamie and Bronn got out of their situation so easily. That was probably the thing that bugged me the most.

Otherwise... a totally fine episode.

Yeah, it wasn't a bad episode by any means. Just really rushed.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
I thought Gendry's reintroduction was fine. He's not that important of a character really.

I think that's exactly why it rubbed me the wrong way. There was so much time between his departure and his return that I built it up. I kept thinking that when he did return, it would be for a reason and super important. That's on me more than the show. But I was underwhelmed. Mainly because so far there's no reason why it needs to be Gendry. Anybody could have gone on with Jon and Co. And listening to D&D talk about it after the episode, Dan basically says, "We didn't know what to do with Davos on the beach. We didn't think it was interesting for him to just sit and wait with the boat. So, we thought, hey what about Gendry? We could squeeze him in now right?! People love him!"

And that's kinda how it felt. Again, not a deal breaker or anything. Just awkward. But maybe there will be a bigger/better payoff for it.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:44 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

I think that's exactly why it rubbed me the wrong way. There was so much time between his departure and his return that I built it up. I kept thinking that when he did return, it would be for a reason and super important. That's on me more than the show. But I was underwhelmed. Mainly because so far there's no reason why it needs to be Gendry. Anybody could have gone on with Jon and Co. And listening to D&D talk about it after the episode, Dan basically says, "We didn't know what to do with Davos on the beach. We didn't think it was interesting for him to just sit and wait with the boat. So, we thought, hey what about Gendry? We could squeeze him in now right?! People love him!"

And that's kinda how it felt. Again, not a deal breaker or anything. Just awkward. But maybe there will be a bigger/better payoff for it.

It would have been better if they sent him off to Storm's End to train to be its heir.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:46 pm 

Any bets on who lives or dies north of the wall?

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Jon will make it out alive.

Tormund is gonna die and then come back as a white walker.

The Hound will live.

Gendry will live.

I'll say Jorah dies, why not?

Who else is there?

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:51 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
Any bets on who lives or dies north of the wall?

I think everyone but Jon dies fulfilling the Long Night/Last Hero story:

The last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it.

Edit: I bet about half of the party dies. You all have convinced me that the show doesn't want to kill off all these characters.

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Mon August 14, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:52 pm 
AnalLog

I'm thinking the heavy drinker guy (thoros of myr) is a gonner. Maybe Jorah?

I think most of them should die but very few will. The show is suddenly keeping characters alive (outside of the Tarly's). Maybe saving everyone for season 8.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:57 pm 

Beric is toast

THoros is too.

Tormund or Gendry are on the bubble

I feel like the Hound... actually he might die, too

I feel like they will keep Jorah around.

Jon will make it for sure.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 7:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Oh yeah, Beric and Thoros will bite it for sure.

I have no idea what they're up to with Jorah. It does seem weird to save his life just to kill him here.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 8:02 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Oh yeah, Beric and Thoros will bite it for sure.

I have no idea what they're up to with Jorah. It does seem weird to save his life just to kill him here.

Right?

Jon definitely survives. Jorah is a likely yes based on his screen time this season. Hound should be a yes. Gendry should be a yes too. Tormund is the face of the wildings, so he's probably a yes. Beric and Thoros are dead men walking.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 8:07 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Will one of Jon's guys sacrifice himself to be turned into a wight? That'd probably be the easiest way to get one back.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 8:08 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
Will one of Jon's guys sacrifice himself to be turned into a wight? That'd probably be the easiest way to get one back.

I'm betting Tormund.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 8:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Jon will survive. Why bring back Gendry only to kill him?

The brotherhood guys should die. Uncertain about Mormont, the Hound and Tormund. Could see a role forward for all of them. Maybe least for Mormont.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 8:30 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

They brought him back to kill him off. It's a cheap way to tie up that story so when it is all over people aren't saying "what about Gendry?"

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 8:35 pm 

It would make for a cheap shock. Or maybe it could be "you thought this was a happy story of a Stark and a Baratheon teaming up again? Nope."

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 9:00 pm 
Production Police

Is there any major house that would shift sides according to their loyalty to House Baratheon? How might Gendry's return be a device to shift larger alliances?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317 ... 505  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment