The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347 ... 505  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 7:35 pm 
The Master

geezes, trag.

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 7:50 pm 
Production Police

*If Joey is really bipolar then I apologize and rescind my comment.

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 8:10 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Regarding the Theon fight scene...

It made me think of a conversation back in season 2 or 3 between Cersei and (I think) Tyrion. She said the thing that makes Varys so dangerous is that he doesn't have a cock. I think it's also part of what makes the Unsullied so badass; they don't have that vulnerability, that weakness.

I might be reading too much into Theon getting kneed in the groin, but it might be the moment when he embraces his cocklessness and sees it as a strength rather than a hindrance. It was more symbolic than anything else.

Also, my two cents to Malice: I would super not read the books until the series is over. It will only set you up for disappointment. If you hold off on the books you will still have something to look forward to after the show is over.

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 8:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I love that the show doesn't care what gender you are. Arya can be a badass killer, just like the Hound. Joffrey can be a terrible person, just like Cersei. Jon and Brienne can both the true and honorable. Jamie and Dany are ruthless. However, we do need a wide range of stories, even some that go for a sort of redemption. It would be boring if all the characters that are perceived as evil, just die. So I like that Theon has an arc of doing something he believes in, and something that is selfless and even good to a certain degree.

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 8:32 pm 
slower than 82% of US

tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm not sure what you like about Theon's story. That scene fell flat because it was entirely unearned. Redeeming Theon is a Herculean task that I don't athink is possible, ultimately. Therefore, no matter what they do, it will feel unearned and fall flat. They should just kill him.

D&D are also now in danger of undermining one of the key themes of the story, one of the things that has made the story so good all along, by having Theon swoop in a rescue poor, defenceless, damsel Yara. I hope that doesn't happen the way they are setting it up. That's gonna be gross if it does. And also completely unearned.

god you're sexy

I'm so confused. I made a less-erudite complaint about Theon's story yesterday, and Joey attacked me for not liking stuff. Is Joey bi-polar?

Joey only cares that they not diminish the idea that the women in the story don't need men to save them. While I don't care about Theon's story, I don't think this really goes back on subverting that trope because it's not about a guy saving a girl and they fall madly in love; it's a brother, who grew up always doubting that he was actually a part of the Greyjoy family realizing that she's the only family that matters to him. It's more about his growth of accepting that he's a greyjoy who was raised as a stark and wanting to save his sister. He had a debt to repay her for being the only person who tried to save him

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 9:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm not sure what you like about Theon's story. That scene fell flat because it was entirely unearned. Redeeming Theon is a Herculean task that I don't athink is possible, ultimately. Therefore, no matter what they do, it will feel unearned and fall flat. They should just kill him.

D&D are also now in danger of undermining one of the key themes of the story, one of the things that has made the story so good all along, by having Theon swoop in a rescue poor, defenceless, damsel Yara. I hope that doesn't happen the way they are setting it up. That's gonna be gross if it does. And also completely unearned.

god you're sexy

I'm so confused. I made a less-erudite complaint about Theon's story yesterday, and Joey attacked me for not liking stuff. Is Joey bi-polar?

wat

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 9:45 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

god you're sexy

wat

HE SAID

I'M SO CONFUSED. I MADE A LESS-ERUDITE COMPLAINT ABOUT THEON'S STORY YESTERDAY, AND JOEY ATTACKED ME FOR NOT LIKING STUFF. IS JOEY BI-POLAR?

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 10:14 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 10:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

god you're sexy

wat

HE SAID

I'M SO CONFUSED. I MADE A LESS-ERUDITE COMPLAINT ABOUT THEON'S STORY YESTERDAY, AND JOEY ATTACKED ME FOR NOT LIKING STUFF. IS JOEY BI-POLAR?

God, I love you so hard.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 12:36 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 12:42 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wat

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 1:24 am 
post-structuralist

Dscans wrote:
Regarding the Theon fight scene...

It made me think of a conversation back in season 2 or 3 between Cersei and (I think) Tyrion. She said the thing that makes Varys so dangerous is that he doesn't have a cock. I think it's also part of what makes the Unsullied so badass; they don't have that vulnerability, that weakness.

I might be reading too much into Theon getting kneed in the groin, but it might be the moment when he embraces his cocklessness and sees it as a strength rather than a hindrance. It was more symbolic than anything else.

Also, my two cents to Malice: I would super not read the books until the series is over. It will only set you up for disappointment. If you hold off on the books you will still have something to look forward to after the show is over.

I honestly had difficulty slogging through the first few hundred pages when i bought them, and i used to read quite a lot. i don't know how far I'd make it through if all the writing feels that loaded down with bleh, i just don't enjoy Martin's writing much so I'll have to update you if i make a decision

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 4:32 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 7:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wat

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 7:28 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
wat

They fucked on a boat.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 7:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

They sure did!

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 7:49 pm 
post-structuralist

durdencommatyler wrote:
They sure did!

so you know how most people overuse exclamation points in posts? like there's no way anyone could possibly be that happy/excited in real life? Not you dct, never you. I'm fairly certain you actually sound exactly like your posts

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 7:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

malice wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
They sure did!

so you know how most people overuse exclamation points in posts? like there's no way anyone could possibly be that happy/excited in real life? Not you dct, never you. I'm fairly certain you actually sound exactly like your posts

8-)

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 7:53 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
malice wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
They sure did!

8-)

It's probably your only endearing quality.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 8:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
malice wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
They sure did!

8-)

It's probably your only endearing quality.

I'll take it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347 ... 505  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment