The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394 ... 505  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire)
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 3:34 am 
mXn

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Yeah, I just wish there were more scenes of traveling. This could be the best show of all time they just devoted entire hour long episodes to silent, weeks long, boat and horse trips.

I know you're kidding, but there are some good travel scenes. Remember Ned and Robert having lunch in a field in Season 1? Arya and the Night's Watch on the road north in Season 2? As the show's focus has shrunk, we've lost some of these things, and it's a shame, but traveling can be great stuff.

You're totally right. There really are some great travel scenes in the show. But I think they key phrases in your post are "Season 1" and "Season 2." :lol:

If these dick weasels hadn't fucked up their planning and yearly writer's room break-downs, I'm not sure anyone would give a shit.

But here we are. At this stage in the game, I'm much more interested in necessary scenes. I don't need people in a field laying character groundwork. And I don't need 45 mins of Sam changing out bedpans. Every time they show that stuff, they're taking away something else. What AREN'T we seeing instead, you know?

Anyway... I just don't have the time jump issues that others have. Totally valid criticism, to be sure. Just not something that gets to me on a show with a lot of larger issues.

I quite liked the bedpan/porridge montage. It was what, 2 minutes long? It established the passage of time and Sam's place in Oldtown quite effectively in a very visual way.

Much better than 14 scenes with the Faceless Men and an Arya getting stabbed and then running away(?) sequence.

You guys should do a trial by combat

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 11:47 am 
Future Drummer

Mecca wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I haven't read all of your theories here or online but am I wrong in noticing that
Spoiler: show
the way that little kid was stapled to the wall by the night King looked a lot like the Targaryen house symbol?

The Children also use symbols like that (see: the layout of the stones where they created the Night King in Season 6). But yeah the spiral shape is certainly similar--if he's really "sending a message" maybe it's directed at a certain house?

No

what did the symbol mean then? anyone?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 11:53 am 
slower than 82% of US

doone wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I haven't read all of your theories here or online but am I wrong in noticing that
Spoiler: show
the way that little kid was stapled to the wall by the night King looked a lot like the Targaryen house symbol?

The Children also use symbols like that (see: the layout of the stones where they created the Night King in Season 6). But yeah the spiral shape is certainly similar--if he's really "sending a message" maybe it's directed at a certain house?

No

what did the symbol mean then? anyone?

It was a symbol the Children used a lot and was present when they created the Night King. Night King has adopted it as a calling card. The director claimed it was like satan adopting an upside down cross

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 3:17 pm 
mXn

If Satan and the night king are so great and powerful why can’t they come up with their own symbols?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 3:21 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Bammer wrote:
If Satan and the night king are so great and powerful why can’t they come up with their own symbols?

That’s a religious thing.
Only god can create. Everything else is subcreation. His work still but through the hands of those he created. Including the devil.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 3:36 pm 
slower than 82% of US

dimejinky99 wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Only god can create. Everything else is subcreation. His work still but through the hands of those he created. Including the devil.

Yeah seriously bammer, open a fucking book

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 3:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Bammer wrote:

"'To create man, God had to remove Himself, and one could say that the defining feature of humanity is that lack. It's a lack that haunts us because, being God's creation, we contain a memory of the infinite, which fills us with longing. But the same lack is also what allows for free will. The act of breaking God's command not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge can be interpreted as a rejection of obedience in favor of free choice and the pursuit of autonomous knowledge. But of course it's God who suggest the idea of eating from The Tree of Knowledge in the first place. God who plants the idea in Eve. And so it can also be read as God's way of leading Adam and Eve to confront the vacated space within themselves ---- the space where God seems to be absent. In this way it is Eve, whose creation required a physical void in Adam, who leads Adam to the discovery of the metaphysical void within him which he will forever mourn, even as he floods it with his freedom and will.'

[...]

"'This is why the rabbis tell us that a broken heart is more full than one that is content: because a broken heart has vacancy, and the vacancy has the potential to be filed with the infinite.'"

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 3:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

My dad mentioned something that I had yet to hear, which might just mean that I don't spend enough time on the internet. But he asked that, if the Night King can ride Viserion, does that make him a Targaryan? I know he "raised" it, but is riding a zombie dragon different than whatever it is they do to control the wights? It doesn't just move at his command, it seems to respond to him, spitting out blue fire and shit when he needs the wall to come down.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 4:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mecca?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 4:33 pm 
slower than 82% of US

durdencommatyler wrote:
Mecca?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 4:35 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Dscans wrote:
My dad mentioned something that I had yet to hear, which might just mean that I don't spend enough time on the internet. But he asked that, if the Night King can ride Viserion, does that make him a Targaryan? I know he "raised" it, but is riding a zombie dragon different than whatever it is they do to control the wights? It doesn't just move at his command, it seems to respond to him, spitting out blue fire and shit when he needs the wall to come down.

Even if the producers are going to shoehorn in the wrong premise that only Targaryens ride dragons, the dragon is a wight itself much like the ice bear in the episode beyond the wall

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 4:41 pm 
mXn

To be honest any one of us could shart onto a piece of white paper and whatever lands there could become our symbol. Night King could have tried that without his creator’s help.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 5:20 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Dscans wrote:

I have a friend on Facebook whose theory is that the Night King is actually the Mad King. I have to find it and post it here; it's insane.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 5:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mecca wrote:
Dscans wrote:

Even if the producers are going to shoehorn in the wrong premise that only Targaryens ride dragons, the dragon is a wight itself much like the ice bear in the episode beyond the wall

worst . . . episode . . . ever . . .

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 5:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
Dscans wrote:

I have a friend on Facebook whose theory is that the Night King is actually the Mad King. I have to find it and post it here; it's insane.

You seen that bonkers theory that Tyrion is Dany's son?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 5:51 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Goddammit

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 5:52 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

durdencommatyler wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Dscans wrote:

That's.. that's not even possible

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 5:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Dscans wrote:

That's.. that's not even possible

I said it was bonkers

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 6:10 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Rickon stark though...he’s still in play right?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 6:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Rickon stark though...he’s still in play right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394 ... 505  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment