The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: X-men : Movies (and all other Mutant related things)
PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 3:44 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I am fine with the idea of a "shared universe" for film properties, if:
1- The directors are allowed to apply their own style and vision for each film instead of being press-ganged into some faceless "house style",
2- The films are able to stand on their own as satisfying, coherent, cohesive pieces of dramatic fiction instead of advertisements for the next installment.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 3:45 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
1- The directors are allowed to apply their own style and vision for each film instead of being press-ganged into some faceless "house style",
2- The films are able to stand on their own as satisfying, coherent, cohesive pieces of dramatic fiction instead of advertisements for the next installment.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Don't you like Marvel movies, though?

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 3:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:

Absolutely. 100 % agree on both points.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 3:48 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Yeah, that sounds about right. Don't you like Marvel movies, though?

Largely, but my growing frustration with Marvel movies stems from both of those things. I think Civil War is successful in spite of it, while something like Ant-Man crumbles under it. My two favorite Marvel movies are Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man 3, and I think they're the ones that are least bogged-down by those problems.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 5:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

jesus IM3 was a hot mess compared to the others

i dont think there is any house style per se other than the directors furthering the overall story of thanos and the gauntlet

i kind of view each movie with a different director and style as a limited series with different artists. sure it looks a bit different from chapter to chapter but the story still trudges forward

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 5:16 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Peeps wrote:
sure it looks a bit different from chapter to chapter

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 5:55 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Absolutely. 100 % agree on both points.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 7:38 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
I love it when in books, movies or comic books you can sense they are all tied up by the same world. For example, the ViewAskew universe was fun and cool...But in the Marvel movies what was once a novelty become a pure gimmick...

This this this this this. This all day, son. ALL DAY.

they do this extremely well. i think the fatigue comes from so many imitators doing it poorly/desperatley. its like hating pearl jam because you are tired of so many shitty grunge bands on the radio.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 7:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
I love it when in books, movies or comic books you can sense they are all tied up by the same world. For example, the ViewAskew universe was fun and cool...But in the Marvel movies what was once a novelty become a pure gimmick...

they do this extremely well. i think the fatigue comes from so many imitators doing it poorly/desperatley. its like hating pearl jam because you are tired of so many shitty grunge bands on the radio.

no, im talking about the Marvel Universe. Im not even considering the Fox one or Dc comics...The Dc movie universe is something that hasnt been in motion really yet...

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 7:45 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
Surely it wouldn't be a big deal if they just came up with their own, unique villains that didn't have any comic book precedence, right?

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 7:49 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:

For the most part, Marvel does that well. I have no problem with Cap, Thor, IronMan, and the Avengers being one long serial story, but when they cut out from that like in Antman, they can tone it down a bit. Reference the larger world, but that scene with Falcon was long, unnecessary, and uninteresting. Should have been a quick cameo.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 7:52 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

B wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

For the most part, Marvel does that well. I have no problem with Cap, Thor, IronMan, and the Avengers being one long serial story, but when they cut out from that like in Antman, they can tone it down a bit. Reference the larger world, but that scene with Falcon was long, unnecessary, and uninteresting. Should have been a quick cameo.

Yeah, maybe follow some of their shows as an example. In Daredevil and JJ, they just reference "the events of New York". That is all I need to tie it in my head without it getting too involved. Even in all of its cheesiness, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. does the tie ins well.

But now, since Ant-Man, Black Panther, and others have been in Avengers/Captain America movies, I'm afraid most of the more "minor" characters that get movies will all get that treatment now.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 11:28 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Yippee :roll:

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2016 1:02 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2016 1:09 am 
what on earth am I talking about

I agreed with everything this guy said(it's a spoiler review). Be interested to see what you guys think

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2016 1:27 am 
The worst

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Yeah, maybe follow some of their shows as an example. In Daredevil and JJ, they just reference "the events of New York". That is all I need to tie it in my head without it getting too involved. Even in all of its cheesiness, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. does the tie ins well.

But now, since Ant-Man, Black Panther, and others have been in Avengers/Captain America movies, I'm afraid most of the more "minor" characters that get movies will all get that treatment now.

those were some of the highlights of the last movie, though. The issue is whether or not these things are done well, not their existence.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2016 1:28 am 
The worst

VinylGuy wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

no, im talking about the Marvel Universe. Im not even considering the Fox one or Dc comics...The Dc movie universe is something that hasnt been in motion really yet...

I know. I'm disagreeing. I also think the gimmick nature of this is hugely overstated. it's an essential part of their approach to storytelling.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2016 10:19 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

im with team stip. its not a gimmick for marvel. it is what they set out to do from Iron Man. some bits of each movie effect other movies but not on some grand scale where if you never saw the movie you would feel like you were missing out on something

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2016 11:35 am 
Future Drummer

Peeps wrote:
im with team stip. its not a gimmick for marvel. it is what they set out to do from Iron Man. some bits of each movie effect other movies but not on some grand scale where if you never saw the movie you would feel like you were missing out on something
exactly

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2016 12:09 pm 
RM Elitist

I love how Ruddo pushes Agents of SHIELD.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 65  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment