The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all inclusive video game thread
PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 3:59 am 
Rank This Poster

Certain games that are extremely popular should probably warrant an individual thread..

Like you'll post about a random game in this and no one will notice it stuck in the middle of 6000 gow posts

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 11:59 am 
AnalLog

Orpheus wrote:
I'd have to disagree completely about the direction of gaming. More and more I'm finding games that are getting rid of some of the more tedious aspects of gaming and leaving room for pure fun. Things like turning loot into money immediately (thank you Dishonored) and other mechanics. I've finally fallen in love with stealth games over the last five years because they've gotten more and more immersive until you really feel like you're hiding/infiltrating real spaces with real stakes. I also feel like more developers are paying attention to tone and delivering emotions through games that might be unpleasant or controversial, like Inside's incredible depiction of loneliness, fear and unease.

I still find that there are crappy games that don't hold my attention or are just lame, but the ones that grab me these days really, really grab me.

Yep. Games are coming into really a awesome period. It's a bit lazy throw out criticism that games lack innovation, and come out super stale and not polished.

Some of the coolest and most original game designs are coming out right now. Just look at GoW. Combination of open world design with the dark souls style action in the God of War game world. Thats awesome. That shit wouldn't happen five years ago. Combine that with no camera cuts for the entire game - I'm pumped.

Yeah you have your marvel style games which is another way of saying that some company's pump out the same game every year like battlefield and call of duty but outside of that there is so much cool shit coming out. There's a lot more genre mixing now and designers are testing the boundaries of what games can do.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 12:33 pm 
The Master

Yeah, we just disagree. The games you guys are pointing to as examples do absolutely nothing for me. (Dishonored was straight-up unplayable as far as I’m concerned.) Nobody agrees with me about which movies are exciting and which movies suck, so it kinda makes sense that games would be the same. Except with games there don’t seem to be ANY I find exciting anymore.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 12:50 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

LV, I'm pretty sure you like Ocarina (lol). I wonder if you'd like Breath of the Wild?

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 12:51 pm 
The Master

But then I would have to buy a Nintendo system which I would never use again

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 12:53 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yeah I understand that. I just meant for the sake of this argument. Breath of the Wild really surprised me

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 2:41 pm 
AnalLog

Oh for sure. We're just going to disagree and that's fine. I usually find your arguments interesting because they come from a totally different point of view which is awesome.

Here, the arguments don't add up to me. So it's confusing.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 4:21 pm 
The Master

While the modern tech that allows for slick online/co-op play is amazing, I agree that most games have become fairly rote in their mechanics. Outside of a handful of modern titles (XCom 2 being at the top of the list), I see very few games that are actually pushing the boundaries of gaming, despite their advances in graphics, sound, etc. I sort of feel like the games peaked in the early 90s with all the great Sierra/LucasArts adventure games, plus odd titles like The 7th Guest and Myst; the current advances in graphics and sound make for more immersive environments, but don't work my brain's gears even remotely as hard as the older stuff.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 6:31 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
While the modern tech that allows for slick online/co-op play is amazing, I agree that most games have become fairly rote in their mechanics. Outside of a handful of modern titles (XCom 2 being at the top of the list), I see very few games that are actually pushing the boundaries of gaming, despite their advances in graphics, sound, etc. I sort of feel like the games peaked in the early 90s with all the great Sierra/LucasArts adventure games, plus odd titles like The 7th Guest and Myst; the current advances in graphics and sound make for more immersive environments, but don't work my brain's gears even remotely as hard as the older stuff.

Games aren't becoming rote. Boundaries are being pushed a lot.

X-Com 2 is amazing and it may have created it's own genre but man Divinity Original Sin 2 is one the best games I've ever played. It's the most immersive, boundary pushing games out there. The writing is top notch. I don't think you can do anything better than that. The Witcher series is fantastic. Pillars of Eternity is a wonderful take on the Baldur's Gate style of RPG's with some new concepts and the sequel looks even better.

Darkest Dungeon is a awesome, creative take on the dungeon diving concept. Your characters actually deal with psychological damage from the enemies you face.

Warhammer: Vermintide is a great co-op game with very cool game mechanics.

There's incredible stuff out there.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 7:48 pm 
Future Drummer

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
(Dishonored was straight-up unplayable as far as I’m concerned).

Why did you feel this way? Just curious. I've heard you say this about other games of this ilk (Bioshock etc.) but I've never really understood why.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 11:13 pm 
Champion of RM

LV has been major-jaded since the last Mass Effect was a turd. He wouldn't be this jilted if it was good.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 11:15 pm 
Champion of RM

eBay has N64 US versions of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest. Does anyone know anything about these? I assume they are bootlegs. The first and only time the Master Quest was made available in the US was on that Gamecube bonus disc, right?

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 11:40 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
eBay has N64 US versions of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest. Does anyone know anything about these? I assume they are bootlegs. The first and only time the Master Quest was made available in the US was on that Gamecube bonus disc, right?

I believe so. I bet this is a ROM on a cartridge.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 11:46 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
LV has been major-jaded since the last Mass Effect was a turd. He wouldn't be this jilted if it was good.

There might be some truth to this.

PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 1:54 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I keep seeing it on sale for 6 bucks. Is it worth it?

PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 6:01 am 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Absolutely not

PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 11:19 am 
Champion of RM

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Absolutely not

I bought it on Black Friday for $15, but I sold the steel book case it came with for $6. I hope to play it this summer. I survived KotOR 2, I'll survive this.

PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 1:16 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Absolutely not

I bought it on Black Friday for $15, but I sold the steel book case it came with for $6. I hope to play it this summer. I survived KotOR 2, I'll survive this.

i bought it on a PS+ sale for 15 bux and it was worth that much. if you can somehow trick yourself into forgetting that it's a ME game, it's a serviceable open world 3rd person space shooter. i mostly just tore through the main storyline though, didn't feel compelled to explore many side quests.

PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 1:55 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Absolutely not

i bought it on a PS+ sale for 15 bux and it was worth that much. if you can somehow trick yourself into forgetting that it's a ME game, it's a serviceable open world 3rd person space shooter. i mostly just tore through the main storyline though, didn't feel compelled to explore many side quests.

What a missed opportunity. I am very dubious of their new game Anthem too.

PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 3:18 pm 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Absolutely not

What a missed opportunity. I am very dubious of their new game Anthem too.

Same here. A lot is riding on Anthem too. Like the future of Bioware so I expect the company to get broken up and sold off bit by bit by EA after Anthem fails.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games