The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 829 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: The Office
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:16 am 
Rank This Poster

At its peak (seasons 2-4), this show was as good as sitcoms get. It completely defied expectations after its first season, which poorly aped the British series almost line by line. The second half of this series' run had some truly lame storylines, but the characters kept me coming back. Last night's penultimate episode was schmaltzy, for sure, and Andy's part was totally unnecessary, but aside from that, it was pretty great. Jim and Dwight's interactions were really funny, and while my wife was inundated with tears at the end, I was sipping my whiskey extra hard and doing my best not to join her. I will miss this show.

Post subject: Re: The Office
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:54 am 
RM Elitist

daft twat wrote:
At its peak (seasons 2-4), this show was as good as sitcoms get. It completely defied expectations after its first season, which poorly aped the British series almost line by line. The second half of this series' run had some truly lame storylines, but the characters kept me coming back. Last night's penultimate episode was schmaltzy, for sure, and Andy's part was totally unnecessary, but aside from that, it was pretty great. Jim and Dwight's interactions were really funny, and while my wife was inundated with tears at the end, I was sipping my whiskey extra hard and doing my best not to join her. I will miss this show.

Yeah, last nights episode was incredibly hokey.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I'm gonna miss this show :(

I didn't watch last night's episode, but have it recorded. I gotta admit, I'm enjoying the office more this season than I have in like 3 or 4 years.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

These last two episodes have been outstanding. This show is going to do it. It's going to end the right way. I'm excited. And I'm really going to miss it. Which is not something I would have said going into this season. The back half of this season (pretty much everything since the Xmas episode) has been really solid to great.

Good to see one of my favorite shows go out on a high.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

@SkitchP wrote:
daft twat wrote:

This probably could describe every episode this season.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:39 pm 
RM Elitist

Chris_H_2 wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
daft twat wrote:

I think i've watched like 3 this season. I only watched the one last night because I thought it was the finale.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:57 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

It's been hokey as shit for a while, but it still gets to me. I am both really glad that it is finally ending and sad to see it go. I know that I am going to miss watching it. I sometimes forget how funny this show was. Just being in love with these characters is the only thing that has kept me still watching for the last (at least) three seasons.
End of random thoughts and cliches post.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Chris_H_2 wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
daft twat wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:35 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
These last two episodes have been outstanding. This show is going to do it. It's going to end the right way. I'm excited. And I'm really going to miss it. Which is not something I would have said going into this season. The back half of this season (pretty much everything since the Xmas episode) has been really solid to great.

Good to see one of my favorite shows go out on a high.

Absolutely, 100% agree.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:48 am 

The bestiche mensch or whatever reveal moment got to me, haha.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:55 am 

Ok, I think every moment involving him is going to get to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:04 am 

Yup, he was 3 for 3 tonight, So far at least.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:19 am 
Rank This Poster

as a stand alone episode, the finale wasn't great in terms of comedy. michael scott's 2 lines were awesome, and meredith's son dancing killed me. her line about being hammered, but it was college, was also great. beyond that, i don't know if i laughed. that said, i think i was smiling the whole time. it provided excellent closure, and it felt like a proper good-bye. it isn't, though. this show will join cheers and seinfeld for me. i'll be watching it for decades here and there, one at a time or in mini marathons.

a final thought: the finale reminded me of holden's final line at the end of catcher in the rye: don't ever tell anybody anything. if you do, you start missing everybody.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:59 am 
RM Elitist

That was incredibly awful. Michael was cool, if not obvious. But the whole thing was awful. When the office forgets its a comedy, its unwatchable.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:49 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I liked it okay. The Office hour episodes always felt long and adding 15 minutes didn't help that. I thought the panel scene was a good idea but didn't really pan out. The Michael Scott bit was a nice semi-surprise, I can understand why they wanted to keep that part under wraps. The whole thing with Ryan and Kellie and the baby was not needed. Of course all the extra people in the group photo were the behind the scenes crew I'm sure; I know that was Greg? Daniels in the blue suit next to Pam.
The final bit where the regulars returned to the office was a good way to wrap. While I can't say it was excellent tv or one of the great finales I left satisfied.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I enjoyed it. It was more of a heartwarming episode than anything, with some funny lines here and there. Which is fine for me - the show's always had an endearing quality to it. I was pretty surprised with the Michael Scott appearance, they did a great job keeping that from leaking. I was hoping for some more lines from him, but my guess is he probably only wanted a very small part of the show.

Also, where was Todd Packer???

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:01 pm 
Future Drummer

EJ wrote:
I enjoyed it. It was more of a heartwarming episode than anything, with some funny lines here and there. Which is fine for me - the show's always had an endearing quality to it.

I felt the same way. It was totally relatable to anyone who has left a job after years there. And transformation of the Jim/Dwight dynamic at the end of this season was just a perfect ending for those characters.

Dwight Schrute wrote:
Do I get along with my co-workers? First of all, I don’t have co-workers anymore. I have subordinates. So, have I gotten along with my subordinates? Let’s see. My supplier relations rep, Meredith Palmer, is the only person I know who knows how to properly headbang to Motorhead. Oscar Martinez, my accountant, is now godfather to my son. Angela Schrute, my former accountant, is now my wife. My top salesman, Jim Halpert, was best man at my wedding. And office administrator, Pamela Beesly Halpert, is my best friend. So yes, I’d say I have gotten along with my subordinates.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:42 pm 
RM Elitist

I disagree with all of you. The Office at its best was a heartwarming comedy. It worked as that. Finishing off as a heartwarming show with a couple jokes thrown in did nothing for me at all.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:46 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Yeah, I liked having Jim & Pam move on and liked how the Jim/Dwight relationship closed. Pretty cool of Dwight to fire the Halperts so they could get severance.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:52 am 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
I disagree with all of you. The Office at its best was a heartwarming comedy. It worked as that. Finishing off as a heartwarming show with a couple jokes thrown in did nothing for me at all.

You need to relax, bro.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 829 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment