Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: What movies are you watching?

Mon March 25, 2024 1:21 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
tommy wrote:Watching Ricochet (1991)

Goddamn, Denzel just oozes charisma.

:bammer: haven't seen this in years but I remember it being really gritty

This was a great time. A little Cape Fear, a little French Connection 2 and a lot of crazy. Lithgow was such a great psycho.

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Rollerball. James Caan was wild in the 70’s

Loved this. James Caan is fantastic.

Mon March 25, 2024 3:29 pm

Napoleon

Overall, I really liked this, but it’s kind of a mixed bag. Still not sure how I feel about Joaquin Phoenix’s performance. Right now I’m leaning towards “didn’t quite work for me”. I kind of wish they had just picked a lane and gone all in with the dark comedy.

The battle scenes were incredible. The military strategy was depicted very clearly and it was easy to follow what was going on, which is always appreciated. Thanks, Ridley.

Tue March 26, 2024 12:02 am

Rewatched The Long Good Friday this evening. What a fantastic movie. Great score and a killer lead performance from Bob Hoskins.

Tue March 26, 2024 12:55 am

tommy wrote:Rewatched The Long Good Friday this evening. What a fantastic movie. Great score and a killer lead performance from Bob Hoskins.

Did you like the Supet Mario Bros (1993) movie?

Tue March 26, 2024 4:49 pm

I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.

Tue March 26, 2024 4:55 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.

Yeah that movie sucks hard. Crazy how many people like or love it.

Tue March 26, 2024 4:57 pm

tree_ wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.

Is it better or worse than Now you see me?

Tue March 26, 2024 4:58 pm

tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Haven't seen it, but I hear it's really bad too

Tue March 26, 2024 5:03 pm

tree_ wrote:
tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Is Ed Norton actually a good actor? He always seems to be making the exact same face. I liked him in Kingdom of Heaven (under a mask) but the last movie I saw him in was Red Dragon and he was awful.

Maybe he should stick to voice acting.

Tue March 26, 2024 5:06 pm

tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Is Ed Norton actually a good actor? He always seems to be making the exact same face. I liked him in Kingdom of Heaven (under a mask) but the last movie I saw him in was Red Dragon and he was awful.

I think he's very inconsistent. He displayed some fun, novel charm in the 90s in movies like American History X and Rounders. I tried watching that Motherless Brooklyn movie he wrote, directed and starred in several years ago, and "oof" is all I can say about that one. But he was good in like, what else, ... Birdman. I just think he kind of worn out his welcome and showed all he has to offer. He's about on par with Leo with his acting ability but doesn't have his looks or charisma.
Last edited by tree_ on Tue March 26, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue March 26, 2024 5:07 pm

Is Birdman worth a watch?

Tue March 26, 2024 5:07 pm

tommy wrote:Is Birdman worth a watch?

oh yeah! you'll like it, though might find it a tad pretentious

Tue March 26, 2024 5:12 pm

tree_ wrote:
tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I think he's very inconsistent. He displayed some fun, novel charm in the 90s in movies like American History X and Rounders. I tried watching that Motherless Brooklyn movie he wrote, directed and starred in several years ago, and "oof" is all I can say about that one. But he was good in like, what else, ... Birdman. I just think he kind of worn out his welcome and showed all he has to offer. He's about on par with Leo with his acting ability but doesn't have his looks or charisma.

I think this is right on the money.

Tue March 26, 2024 5:15 pm

:thumbsup: oh, he was charming in Fight Club too... what else...

Tue March 26, 2024 5:21 pm

Did you know that Edward Norton is insanely rich? He has like 300 million dollars.

Tue March 26, 2024 5:25 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:

It's utter nonsense. Excepting the bit about Motherless Brooklyn which I haven't seen, but have no desire to see, and also the book sucks. But otherwise! Nonsense!

Tue March 26, 2024 5:37 pm

He’s a good actor. Had some great roles.

Tue March 26, 2024 5:40 pm

Tue March 26, 2024 5:42 pm

epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:

It's utter nonsense. Excepting the bit about Motherless Brooklyn which I haven't seen, but have no desire to see, and also the book sucks. But otherwise! Nonsense!

sorry, you're pro or anti Norton?

For my money, his best role is 25th Hour, but it's not like he stretched out in that role; I just think his resting state served the movie perfectly.

Tue March 26, 2024 5:56 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tommy wrote:
tree_ wrote:

sorry, you're pro or anti Norton?

For my money, his best role is 25th Hour, but it's not like he stretched out in that role; I just think his resting state served the movie perfectly.

What's Barry Pepper's best role?
Post a reply