Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: What movies are you watching?

Sun February 05, 2023 4:29 pm

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:I think i'm the only one here who didn't like Babylon :comp:

It seems like most people who watched it didn't like it, it got pretty bad reviews and social media is full of people making fun of specific scenes

Still hoping to watch it someday, it sounds at least interesting

Sun February 05, 2023 4:46 pm

Jorge wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:I think i'm the only one here who didn't like Babylon :comp:

It seems like most people who watched it didn't like it, it got pretty bad reviews and social media is full of people making fun of specific scenes

I wish you the best.

Sun February 05, 2023 4:50 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:I’m like 30 minutes into Under the Silver Lake. Much goofier than I expected. Feels like a late period John Waters movie.

i had to bail on this. i may try it again when i'm in a different mood, but it wasn't grabbing me. All its attempts at surrealism and style felt like some film school grad just cribbing from other movies. It was pissing me off.

Sun February 05, 2023 4:56 pm

Malloy wrote:
tree_ wrote:The Heartbreak kid. I respect the Farrelly brothers quite a bit. It’s not easy to have so many clever jokes packed in a short movie, as stupid and vulgar as they can be

you should get your hands on elaine may's far superior version

Surely a different animal

Sun February 05, 2023 4:57 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:I’m like 30 minutes into Under the Silver Lake. Much goofier than I expected. Feels like a late period John Waters movie.

i had to bail on this. i may try it again when i'm in a different mood, but it wasn't grabbing me. All its attempts at surrealism and style felt like some film school grad just cribbing from other movies. It was pissing me off.

You should stick to Puss In Boots level stuff

Sun February 05, 2023 4:59 pm

Jorge wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

You should stick to Puss In Boots level stuff

Puss In Boots laughs in the face of this movie!

Sun February 05, 2023 5:22 pm

Jorge wrote:

You should watch it on the cinema for the correct experience. Like Avatar.

Sun February 05, 2023 5:23 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:

Under the silver lake is one of the best movies from recent years Trag. Just give it your attention.

Sun February 05, 2023 5:47 pm

Anders wrote:The Book Thief

Thought this was just ok. My mother and my wife seemed to think more highly of it. Naturally a powerful story at times, taking place during ww2. The movie also looks good.

Sun February 05, 2023 6:11 pm

VinylGuy wrote:
Jorge wrote:

You should watch it on the cinema for the correct experience. Like Avatar.

Sun February 05, 2023 6:37 pm

Yes goddamnit yes!!

And ask for the biggest screen they have !

Sun February 05, 2023 7:29 pm

Watching Belle now. Plan on watching Blue Ruin next, either to close out the weekend, or tomorrow. Have seen neither before.

Will then have 20 movies left from my list of 2013, ten I have seen before and rated highly, and ten well rated movies, that I’ve never seen before.

Sun February 05, 2023 7:30 pm

Blue Ruin is wonderful. I love Jeremy Saulnier.

Sun February 05, 2023 7:32 pm

Look forward to it.

Sun February 05, 2023 7:44 pm

Blue Ruin is awesome. Very sticky too. I find myself thinking about it at random occasions.

Sun February 05, 2023 7:56 pm

yeah, i need a rewatch soon.

Sun February 05, 2023 9:34 pm

Under the Silver Lake

Spoiler: show
"I am the voice of your generation."

Terrific.

In Trag's defense, it does start slow.

Sun February 05, 2023 9:43 pm

I did find Belle interesting. Googled the true story afterwards, and found that the movie had taken a lot of liberties. Of course a movie is a work of art, and can be enjoyed without being a true story. But sometimes, when a true story is told with falsehoods, I think it diminishes the end product in my mind.

Sun February 05, 2023 10:02 pm

I'm really surprised you're not feeling Silver Lake, trag.

Seems up your alley.

Sun February 05, 2023 10:22 pm

Maybe trag isn't the man we thought he was, after all
Post a reply