Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: What movies are you watching?

Wed August 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Rangi Guy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:Fight Club is an amazing piece of art. The novel and the film are both stand-outs in their respective genres/mediums. The film is easily one of the greatest pieces of cinema of its decade. Furthermore, in my humble opinion, it's one of the most important, competent, moving, poignant, and entertaining American films of all time. It is damn near perfect. What Fincher did in adapting that novel and it's inherent themes to the screen is, without hyperbole, nothing short of genius.

I was just about to come here and post this word for word. Now I don't have to

:heartbeat:

Wed August 01, 2018 7:51 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:Fight clubs would be a good idea for the US right now.

Blow off some team rather than building up a head of it for the big social breakdown shootout that’s comin

Might as well have The Purge while we're at it

The first rule of Fight Club is... you don't talk about The Purge.

Wed August 01, 2018 7:53 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:Fight Club is an amazing piece of art. The novel and the film are both stand-outs in their respective genres/mediums. The film is easily one of the greatest pieces of cinema of its decade. Furthermore, in my humble opinion, it's one of the most important, competent, moving, poignant, and entertaining American films of all time. It is damn near perfect. What Fincher did in adapting that novel and it's inherent themes to the screen is, without hyperbole, nothing short of genius.

It’s okay

Wed August 01, 2018 8:26 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

It’s okay

:lol:

Wed August 01, 2018 11:15 pm

I also found the second half lacking

Wed August 01, 2018 11:16 pm

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:I also found the second half lacking

Meta As fuck there Lenny

Wed August 01, 2018 11:29 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:I also found the second half lacking

Meta As fuck there Lenny

wat

Thu August 02, 2018 3:12 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:Fight clubs would be a good idea for the US right now.

Blow off some team rather than building up a head of it for the big social breakdown shootout that’s comin

You should check out Chuck's newest book because it's basically a sequel to Fight Club in the way you phrased that sentence.

Sat August 04, 2018 11:48 pm

Woke up early to watch Christopher Robin. Standard bullshit "daddy works too much and companies are evil" storyline (ironic coming from Disney Corp) but that somber mood was right up my alley. I teared up a little. I love those little critters.

Sun August 05, 2018 12:07 am

BurtReynolds wrote:Woke up early to watch Christopher Robin. Standard bullshit "daddy works too much and companies are evil" storyline (ironic coming from Disney Corp) but that somber mood was right up my alley. I teared up a little. I love those little critters.

it looks a lot like Where the Wild Things Are.
???

Sun August 05, 2018 12:14 am

tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:Woke up early to watch Christopher Robin. Standard bullshit "daddy works too much and companies are evil" storyline (ironic coming from Disney Corp) but that somber mood was right up my alley. I teared up a little. I love those little critters.

it looks a lot like Where the Wild Things Are.
???

Yeah similar

Sun August 05, 2018 1:03 am

The Hundred Acre Wood stuff is great. Like if Terrence Malick made a kid's movie.

Mon August 06, 2018 3:38 am

First Reformed.

Wow. Another highlight from Paul Schrader. After the insanity and virtuosity of Dog Eat Dog i was wondering where he was going to go next. This is kinda the exact opposite in terms of pace and frame...Every frame looks like a still. There are almost no camera movements. And its a slow story about a religion and morals, but its so goddamn powerful. Ethan Hawke delivers such a good performance.

I hope Schrader keeps going because the last two movies from him are up there with his best work.

Fri August 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Watched Downsizing the other day. It tries to be so many different films throughout and I'm not sure if any of them really shine. It starts out with Ove the Scientist and they're going to save the world and everyone's happy! Then it's suddenly about human rights and how the little people shouldn't have the same rights as the big people and Mr. Tanaka getting drunk in the bar trying to start a fight. And then it was a body horror thing where they were shaving everyone and giving everyone enemas and taking everyone's fillings out of their mouths. And I'm sure other things, but thankfully it was just the fillings.

I could keep on going but it was a weird juxtaposition and that was maybe 20-30 minutes in. Though it was funny when my wife made a crack about "oh so who's going to shrink themselves to take care of all of these people" and then 15 minutes later we're in the slums with the people who were shrunk because a job is a job and then even later in the mini slums.

Kristen Wiig is good in her role but I'm pretty sure she was cast because of one of her SNL characters because she shows up with a bald head and missing an eyebrow that really reminded me of her on the show.

I wish they would have subtitled the languages more. On the flip side of that, I was annoyed that when they went to the OG settlement in Norway everyone was speaking English instead of their native language.

The best part of the film was that the sets looked appropriately tiny, and I don't know if they used tilt-shift to shoot or something but you definitly got a feeling that these were models being walked around, not just 'oh look they're tiny woo'. That by itself was pretty impressive.

The one part that I couldn't get past was the miniature technology. I know it's suspension of disbelief and all that but I just don't think you can shrink LCDs like that. The actual tech sure but aren't LCDs all one size?

Just remembered: The accent from Hong Chau at times made it sound like she was Vietnamese by way of the Deep South. There were so many times where it just sounded like a Georgia accent that I had to finally ask my wife if she was hearing it as well.

Fri August 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Downsizing was great. But it should have been a series. There are so many awesome things it's exploring and taking on, that it needs the depth and breadth of TV to really explore everything fully. As is, I loved it, though. I just wanted more time with everyone. And the movie ultimately feels like the first act of something else. And I want to see that thing, whatever it is.

I was surprised by how much I loved it. Though, going in, I thought it was a Soderbergh movie for some reason. When credits rolled and I saw that it was Alex Payne I was surprised. But it also made me go, "ah, right, that's why."

Fri August 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Yes, there were a lot of ideas present but not all of them were given time to actually become something other than an afterthought.

Sat August 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Watched Unbreakable for the first time since it came out. I liked it a lot. The ending is VERY janky though

Sat August 11, 2018 5:05 pm

theplatypus wrote:Watched Unbreakable for the first time since it came out. I liked it a lot. The ending is VERY janky though

I've been in movie re-watch mode recently, and this is def one I should look at again

Sat August 11, 2018 11:09 pm

Has anyone seen Action Point? Trying to decide between that and Deadpool 2 for tonight.

Sun August 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Predator 2 makes no goddamn sense
Post a reply