Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: What movies are you watching?

Tue June 05, 2018 7:32 pm

I finally got around to seeing T2: Trainspotting. It was better than it had any right to be.

Tue June 05, 2018 7:36 pm

T2 was great, really great

Tue June 05, 2018 7:44 pm

I really want to see it, but Starz seems to have an exclusive on the rental.

Tue June 05, 2018 7:52 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:T2 was great, really great

I feel like some of the references to the original were shoehorned in a little hard, but otherwise it was great.

Tue June 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Ello Sailor wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:T2 was great, really great

I feel like some of the references to the original were shoehorned in a little hard, but otherwise it was great.

That’s fair, but I think it works because the movie is all about examining nostalgia, so it doesn’t just feel like “Hey remember TRAINSPOTTING???”

Tue June 05, 2018 8:03 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:I just don't enjoy watching stuff like that. Call me old fashioned, but I usually like to root for somebody in film & tv.

So you're not a Sopranos fan?

I loved The Sopranos, but I could route for Tony. I admire his weird ethical code. Patrick Bateman, and the gangsters in early Tarantino fit this mold too.

So, you find it easy to root for Patrick Bateman but not Don Draper?

Tue June 05, 2018 8:03 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:I just don't enjoy watching stuff like that. Call me old fashioned, but I usually like to root for somebody in film & tv.

I loved The Sopranos, but I could route for Tony. I admire his weird ethical code. Patrick Bateman, and the gangsters in early Tarantino fit this mold too.

So, you find it easy to root for Patrick Bateman but not Don Draper?

Yes.

Tue June 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Ok, I don't "route" (root?) for Bateman, but the absurdity of his character is such that I can be entertained without being repulsed.

Tue June 05, 2018 8:04 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:

Tony was a HORRIBLE person, he was a hypocritical bully who destroyed many lives both literally and figuratively. I don't think he had much of an ethical code beyond loving his family

Tue June 05, 2018 8:06 pm

theplatypus wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:

Tony was a HORRIBLE person, he was a hypocritical bully who destroyed many lives both literally and figuratively. I don't think he had much of an ethical code beyond loving his family

He had a code. He loved his friends, but the code of confidence trumped that (Big Pussy, etc).
He hated his mother because she was awful, but he put up with it because she was family.
He killed Christopher because he had become a risk to the larger goals...

I found him to be a very complex character. The toughest parts for me were when he would extort money from honest business owners.

Tue June 05, 2018 8:17 pm

So, "love your family until they're a risk to your goals THEN KILL THEM" is an admirable code?

Tony is a complex and fascinating character, yes, but he is the definition of a horrible monster of a person, way more horrible than just a selfish and dishonest wall street crook (Jordan Belfort). Is the fact that Belfort is a real person what gets you?

Tue June 05, 2018 8:19 pm

theplatypus wrote:So, "love your family until they're a risk to your goals THEN KILL THEM" is an admirable code?

Tony is a complex and fascinating character, yes, but he is the definition of a horrible monster of a person, way more horrible than just a selfish and dishonest wall street crook (Jordan Belfort). Is the fact that Belfort is a real person what gets you?

No, I just thought he was obnoxious. His avarice was total; Tony Soprano's is one of inner turmoil.

Tue June 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Tony was definitely a piece of shit, yeah.

Tue June 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Trag, did you watch the entire series of Mad Men?

Tue June 05, 2018 9:08 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:Trag, did you watch the entire series of Mad Men?

No, but my wife was rabid about it and I saw enough episodes and heard enough bits about what she watching to get the gist.

I wish they had done a spinoff about Sal, that was a guy I could root for.

Tue June 05, 2018 9:17 pm

I don’t want to root for anyone

Tue June 05, 2018 9:22 pm

i usually root for the main character - vile or not

Tue June 05, 2018 9:27 pm

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:i usually root for the main character - vile or not

who is the main character in the rm movie?

Tue June 05, 2018 9:30 pm

doug rr wrote:

it's a toss-up between madTIGERman and section411

Tue June 05, 2018 9:32 pm

doug rr wrote:

malice
Post a reply