The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1700, 1701, 1702, 1703, 1704, 1705, 1706 ... 2032  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue January 31, 2023 6:57 pm 
The Master

Malloy wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
It's interesting that The Coens have so many movies with such warm, interesting, endearing characters, but also a handful of movies with truly unpleasant people presented unpleasantly that are torture to watch. It's almost like they want to punish their audience.

my reading of the coens is that they're misanthropes, and that even the most endearing of their characters are in fact dupes of various stripes. not all, but most.

so there is a political valence to their stuff that is quote/unquote bad. i can suspend that shortcoming because they're very good writers and make good pictures.

to your original q. I find the pastiche in hail caesar to be lots of fun & as "authentic" as can be hoped for, in a movie like this. it's filled with great scenes. why? if I find them funny. and though I never found much use for his thinking, i liked seeing one of the more visible exponents of the frankfurt school in a hollywood movie. clooney has been a wonderful comic instrument for them and he is here, too, and this movie adds josh brolin to their character repertoire of capable idiots. no grand argument. just plays to my predictions and pretensions

Well said. As always!

PostPosted: Tue January 31, 2023 8:23 pm 
Production Police

Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer

tragabigzanda wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
We saw the new Puss in Boots movie with my daughter today, and it was really funny.

Are there references to the extended Shrek universe

I've only watched like 40% of Shrek, so no, not really, but similar humor in some parts.

On the docket for this frigid snowy day

Puss In Boots rules so hard

:luv:

I swear I’m not joking when I say I’ve been thinking about this one a lot. Lots of themes around mortality, fear of death, meaning of life…And awesome animation and voices too.

PostPosted: Tue January 31, 2023 10:10 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Biohazard 4D-Executer

Not good!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue January 31, 2023 10:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

a couple nights in a row now watching a total bore fest of a 3 hour movie..last night was Blonde...meh

PostPosted: Tue January 31, 2023 11:37 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
Biohazard 4D-Executer

Not good!

:shake:

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 12:58 am 
The Master

Saw
Predestination

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 1:02 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

doug rr wrote:
a couple nights in a row now watching a total bore fest of a 3 hour movie..last night was Blonde...meh

You watched the whole thing?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 1:53 am 
jeeeesus relax already

On The Count Of Three.

Yeah, a very very minor movie thats trying so hard to be deep it gets really boring. Christopher Abbot of course is great.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 9:40 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Spectacular Now

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 11:46 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Malloy wrote:
to your original q. I find the pastiche in hail caesar to be lots of fun & as "authentic" as can be hoped for, in a movie like this. it's filled with great scenes. why? if I find them funny. and though I never found much use for his thinking, i liked seeing one of the more visible exponents of the frankfurt school in a hollywood movie. clooney has been a wonderful comic instrument for them and he is here, too, and this movie adds josh brolin to their character repertoire of capable idiots. no grand argument. just plays to my predictions and pretensions

I agree. It's colorful, it's funny, the music is great, the "villains" are a group of communist screenwriters. It's a great time. I prefer it over several Coens films, to me it's nowhere near their worst. I know it's controversial but I saw it then (and still see it) as a bounce back in quality from the widely loved Inside Llewyn Davis. As far as unlikeable characters, that's never been a problem for me. I've never felt like I needed to personally like the characters in order to enjoy the movie

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 1:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Anders wrote:
The Spectacular Now

Think Miles Teller was really good in this. Fairly straightforward story, but it went a bit different than I had imagined anyway.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 1:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Inside Llewyn Davis is pretty cool. It’s on my list of remaining 2013 movies. I’ve got 10 rewatches, thst I’ve all rated highly previously, and 17 I’ve never seen before.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 1:21 pm 
The Master

Jorge wrote:
Malloy wrote:

I agree. It's colorful, it's funny, the music is great, the "villains" are a group of communist screenwriters. It's a great time. I prefer it over several Coens films, to me it's nowhere near their worst. I know it's controversial but I saw it then (and still see it) as a bounce back in quality from the widely loved Inside Llewyn Davis. As far as unlikeable characters, that's never been a problem for me. I've never felt like I needed to personally like the characters in order to enjoy the movie

Ditto for the most part on the last point. And with those kind of Coens’ characters they are always entertaining.

What’s your bottom 5 Coen joints?

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 1:26 pm 
Production Police

I can settle on bottom four pretty easily

A Serious Man
Inside Llewyn Davis
Hail Caesar!
The Man Who Wasn’t There

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 1:42 pm 

The communist cell of writers was the only thing I really liked about it, but they aren't in the movie much. The only time I laughed was when the cowboy guy says "so it's communists."

Outside of that, everyone else is hamming it up in the worst ways. Clooney is awful. Everything looks cheap and ugly (which I assume was on purpose, but showing Hollywood as fake and gaudy isn't very interesting these days).

Maybe if they would have concentrated on making the movie about the hero movie exec vs evil commie writers, that might have been funny, but it's too unfocused. I don't know why Channing Tatum is in this movie at all.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 1:45 pm 

I also never want to see a Hollywood movie about the good old days of Hollywood again.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 2:04 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:

A Serious Man

An Unserious Post

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 2:13 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
The communist cell of writers was the only thing I really liked about it, but they aren't in the movie much. The only time I laughed was when the cowboy guy says "so it's communists."

Outside of that, everyone else is hamming it up in the worst ways. Clooney is awful. Everything looks cheap and ugly (which I assume was on purpose, but showing Hollywood as fake and gaudy isn't very interesting these days).

Maybe if they would have concentrated on making the movie about the hero movie exec vs evil commie writers, that might have been funny, but it's too unfocused. I don't know why Channing Tatum is in this movie at all.

Part of the humor of it all is the weird choices, left turns it makes throughout. Think Big Lebowski. It's quirky. Channing Tatum's arc is quite hilarious, if you think about it. They can make a Fargo when they feel like it. But this isn't that.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 2:17 pm 
The Master

bart wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

A Serious Man

An Unserious Post

Yes I love this one.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 2:39 pm 

tree_ wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Part of the humor of it all is the weird choices, left turns it makes throughout. Think Big Lebowski. It's quirky. Channing Tatum's arc is quite hilarious, if you think about it. They can make a Fargo when they feel like it. But this isn't that.

Don't ever compare this movie to Big Lebowski again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1700, 1701, 1702, 1703, 1704, 1705, 1706 ... 2032  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment