The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 898, 899, 900, 901, 902, 903, 904 ... 2017  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Wed October 17, 2018 11:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

If I had the time I'd research it better but yeah, he basically said he used the animated one as a template for some shots.

PostPosted: Thu October 18, 2018 2:20 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yeah but James Spader was Ultron

PostPosted: Thu October 18, 2018 2:24 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Yeah but James Spader was Ultron

No, no. He was Robert California.

PostPosted: Thu October 18, 2018 2:25 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

the frisbee joke was funny

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 3:53 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Eight Grade.

So kids these days are stupid nervous useless pieces of shit right?

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 8:18 am 
what on earth am I talking about

bune wrote:
If I had the time I'd research it better but yeah, he basically said he used the animated one as a template for some shots.

This one? Side by side comparison. He used tons from it

PostPosted: Mon October 22, 2018 1:47 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Galveston.

Wow. i was worried Laurent wouldnt be able to grab the sorrow and sadness of the book. Also the brutality. Its all here. The photography is stunning. Ben Foster owns his character.

Loved it.

PostPosted: Mon October 22, 2018 2:41 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Sounds great then!

PostPosted: Mon October 22, 2018 2:48 am 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
Galveston.

Wow. i was worried Laurent wouldnt be able to grab the sorrow and sadness of the book. Also the brutality. Its all here. The photography is stunning. Ben Foster owns his character.

Loved it.

rad

PostPosted: Mon October 22, 2018 2:50 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Watched Skyscraper with the family. If you were willing to switch off your brain it wasn't too bad

PostPosted: Mon October 22, 2018 7:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Watched Weird Science the other day. It's weird seeing how RDJ is still basically the same actor just with a little more weariness around the eyes.

PostPosted: Mon October 22, 2018 9:08 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

dimejinky99 wrote:
Lord of the rings (the animated one)

This is kinda brilliant. Somehow a lot more faithful to the book but it seems like it was a template both in story and in a ton of shots and sequences for Jackson’s version.
It’s really charming but also kinda terrifying. The ringwraiths are scary here and they never really managed to make them scary in the live action.

Not bad for 50c in a goodwill. Well worth looking up

I still remember the first time I saw it. I was looking through the stacks of videos at the local Video Shack one summer. 1987 I believe. I was mad for Tolkien. I saw the cover and looked at it for like 5 mins trying to figure out how it could possibly be what I thought it was. There was really a Lord Of The Rings movie?!?! I wasn't even sure if I liked it at first but I kept watching it. I watched it over and over and over. Really bummed they never finished it.

PostPosted: Wed October 24, 2018 2:28 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Currently watching War on Everyone because it just happened to be in the netflix search I did. Holy crap is it a black comedy. You hear people say that and sometimes it's even true. Weird tonal shifts though, not sure if that'll make sense eventually.

So many people in this that I'm like I know that guy from something but what? There's Alexander Skarsgard, Michael Pena, Theo James (Divergent), Tessa Thompson, Caleb Landry Jones (Get Out), Malcolm Barrett (Better Off Ted), and in a "hey, is that Paul Reiser?" moment: Paul Reiser.

Jesus, they just keep making cop-shooting jokes and it's hilarious.

Slight spoiler: So they track this black guy to Iceland. AS says to MP "How are we going to find this guy, we don't have a lot to go on" I say to myself, he's black and you're in Iceland, duh. MP says to AS "he's black and we're in Iceland, we'll just stand here until we see him. *waits a beat* Oh, there he is."

So ridiculous, I'm loving it.

Yeah, that was a crazy movie. I'm not sure of the swings but I liked it overall.

Quote:
Michael Peña character's name Bob Bolaño, is a wink to a Chilean writer Roberto Bolaño.

PostPosted: Wed October 24, 2018 9:03 am 
what on earth am I talking about

bada wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

This is kinda brilliant. Somehow a lot more faithful to the book but it seems like it was a template both in story and in a ton of shots and sequences for Jackson’s version.
It’s really charming but also kinda terrifying. The ringwraiths are scary here and they never really managed to make them scary in the live action.

I still remember the first time I saw it. I was looking through the stacks of videos at the local Video Shack one summer. 1987 I believe. I was mad for Tolkien. I saw the cover and looked at it for like 5 mins trying to figure out how it could possibly be what I thought it was. There was really a Lord Of The Rings movie?!?! I wasn't even sure if I liked it at first but I kept watching it. I watched it over and over and over. Really bummed they never finished it.

Ah that’s cool. Those magic find moments pre internet are treasures.
I believe there’s an animated Return of the king by rank and baskin which is supposed to be pretty good. I’ve never seen it. But this one I don’t know. Although incomplete it has something going for it. It feels a lot more true to the book. Or at least some elements of it I love so maybe that’s why I’m having that response to it.

It is a real shame they never finished it.

PostPosted: Wed October 24, 2018 1:21 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

dimejinky99 wrote:
bada wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Ah that’s cool. Those magic find moments pre internet are treasures.
I believe there’s an animated Return of the king by rank and baskin which is supposed to be pretty good. I’ve never seen it. But this one I don’t know. Although incomplete it has something going for it. It feels a lot more true to the book. Or at least some elements of it I love so maybe that’s why I’m having that response to it.

It is a real shame they never finished it.

Yeah the Rankin/Bass Hobbit and Return Of The King were my introduction to Tolkien as a little kid. Both are definitely for kids but I have a lot of love for them. There is a musical number in Return Of The King that goes "where there's a whip there's a way" that has been burned into my head for life. Rankin/Bass had a bunch of good fantasy movies when I was little. Last Unicorn, Flight of Dragons and Wind in the Willows. All great....or at least I remember them as being great.

PostPosted: Wed October 24, 2018 2:13 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I Think Im Alone Now.

What a piece of shit. It looks good yeah, but the movie itself is garbage. Pure garbage.

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 11:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I watched The Craft this past weekend in PA. What a glorious, chunk of cinematic awesome that movie is. It had been way too long since I watched it.

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 5:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm watching Inherent Vice and I'm wondering if maybe I'm not high enough for the flick. WTF is going on? I imagine it'll make more sense as we go on but it's such a 'drop you in the middle of a story' flick.

And it doesn't help that I recognize just about every actor from something else so I'm constantly checking iMDB. Like that one Asian chick from Downsizing that sounds like Kristin Chenoweth with a weird Southern USA / Vietnamese accent...and she's talking about eating pussy. Not weird at all.

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 5:38 pm 
The Master

bune wrote:
I'm watching Inherent Vice and I'm wondering if maybe I'm not high enough for the flick. WTF is going on? I imagine it'll make more sense as we go on but it's such a 'drop you in the middle of a story' flick.

And it doesn't help that I recognize just about every actor from something else so I'm constantly checking iMDB. Like that one Asian chick from Downsizing that sounds like Kristin Chenoweth with a weird Southern USA / Vietnamese accent...and she's talking about eating pussy. Not weird at all.

horribly disappointing movie

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 7:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

That movie felt like something where I missed a lot of small cues that I'd see if I either A) watched it again or B) found a reddit thread about it. Or maybe if I read the book? It's in my queue at least.

Now I'm watching It Follows.

Uh. Sure.

Ok, what was that.

Last edited by bune on Fri October 26, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 898, 899, 900, 901, 902, 903, 904 ... 2017  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment