The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 807, 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813 ... 2032  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 6:31 pm 
The Master

yeah the editing was weird sometimes. also random stuff that was in there that didn't really need explanation, but piqued my curiosity enough to bother me. like why did an older sheriff in missouri have a young, attractive australian wife, or why did mildred dress like she worked in a factory when she worked in a gift shop? and tyrion lannister was kinda shoehorned into the movie.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 6:33 pm 
The Master

you know what? it felt like an episode of a tv series, not a standalone movie. seems there was a lot more there to explore.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 6:35 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Oh man, the ending wrecked me. I'm not sure what was so "safe" about it. Especially in context. But I'm super bummed that it didn't work for you. I know you were excited for the film.

I still liked the movie though. Baker is one of the best for sure. He has the vision.

Spoiler: show
The disney montage...it felt safe and kinda cheap. We have been watching the real life of this girls, never had a fantasy moment and when the shit got more real he kinda bails out and makes sort of a happy ending? It was way more powerful to have the two girls saying goodbye

I see what you mean but I think it worked. It was the message and power behind rusty very juxtaposition that was so meaningful and impactful to me.

But I get what you're saying.

Its still a wonderful movie, a triumph of aesthetics and an incredible way to handle a cast.

Still thinking about The Florida Project. Im still baffled about the ending but, what a great movie. Art in its purest form.
What a talented guy.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 6:39 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Oh man, the ending wrecked me. I'm not sure what was so "safe" about it. Especially in context. But I'm super bummed that it didn't work for you. I know you were excited for the film.

I still liked the movie though. Baker is one of the best for sure. He has the vision.

The disney montage...it felt safe and kinda cheap. We have been watching the real life of this girls, never had a fantasy moment and when the shit got more real he kinda bails out and makes sort of a happy ending? It was way more powerful to have the two girls saying goodbye

I see what you mean but I think it worked. It was the message and power behind rusty very juxtaposition that was so meaningful and impactful to me.

Its still a wonderful movie, a triumph of aesthetics and an incredible way to handle a cast.

Still thinking about The Florida Project. Im still baffled about the ending but, what a great movie. Art in its purest form.
What a talented guy.

i think the ending works. running into disney just temporarily suspends the inevitable.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 6:50 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

spike wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

What a talented guy.

i think the ending works. running into disney just temporarily suspends the inevitable.

I read it as a mental construction, a fantasy. They cant afford going there...thats why i dont like it...because we spent the whole movie watching their real life, no deconstruction about their fantasy...and when we finally see her realize whats going on bum, fantasy. It would have been more powerful to stay there.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 8:26 pm 
The Master

yeah i like that. a child insulting themselves within a fantasy as a reaction to major emotional trauma is beautiful but also heartbreaking.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 10:24 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Watched a few things recently...

Three Billboards - I agree with what you guys seem to be saying about it. Pretty good film, but it does have shifts in tone that seem a bit odd. Such a tragic subject matter, but weird moments of comedy in there felt off to me. I'd venture to say this is my least favourite of the Oscar noms this year.

Lady Bird - I can't help it, I loved this. It ticked all the boxes for me. Definitely the least 'showy' of the Oscar films but it definitely moved me. Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf worked so well together.

The Shape of Water - I watched this morning before work, and I thought it was great. I don't know how GDT did it, but he actually made me believe a woman could fall in love with the weird monster thing. Sally Hawkins blew me away, I think I'm a little in love with her after this. She should definitely get Best Actress.

Blade Runner 2049 - WOW. The Last Jedi was my favourite film of 2017, but this has beat it. So much so that the next day I went out and bought the blu ray. The FEEL of this film was something else. Visually striking, and left me with a strange melancholic feeling that I can't fully shake. This is a masterpiece, which is weird because I HATE the first film.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 10:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

BootsToAsses wrote:

Three Billboards - I agree with what you guys seem to be saying about it. Pretty good film, but it does have shifts in tone that seem a bit odd. Such a tragic subject matter, but weird moments of comedy in there felt off to me. I'd venture to say this is my least favourite of the Oscar noms this year.

Lady Bird - I can't help it, I loved this. It ticked all the boxes for me. Definitely the least 'showy' of the Oscar films but it definitely moved me. Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf worked so well together.

The Shape of Water - I watched this morning before work, and I thought it was great. I don't know how GDT did it, but he actually made me believe a woman could fall in love with the weird monster thing. Sally Hawkins blew me away, I think I'm a little in love with her after this. She should definitely get Best Actress.

Blade Runner 2049 - WOW. The Last Jedi was my favourite film of 2017, but this has beat it. So much so that the next day I went out and bought the blu ray. The FEEL of this film was something else. Visually striking, and left me with a strange melancholic feeling that I can't fully shake. This is a masterpiece, which is weird because I HATE the first film.

Sally Hawkins was good yeah, and i was surprised on how hot she actually is.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 10:53 pm 

VinylGuy wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:

Sally Hawkins was good yeah, and i was surprised on how hot she actually is.

Indeed. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I was totally into her during the film. Maybe it's the way she mails that look of longing and desire. Made me feel special feelings.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 11:00 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah, and her body.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 11:03 pm 

VinylGuy wrote:
Yeah, and her body.

Another excellent point.

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2018 1:33 am 
Rank This Poster

Passengers - interesting moral dilemma and J. Lawrence. I enjoyed it.
Arrival - interesting moral dilemma, but pretty boring.
Trainspotting - holds up. Hopefully I can get to T2 soon.

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2018 2:36 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

daft twat wrote:
Passengers - interesting moral dilemma and J. Lawrence. I enjoyed it.
Arrival - interesting moral dilemma, but pretty boring.
Trainspotting - holds up. Hopefully I can get to T2 soon.

Arrival is fantastic you rube.

Also, Passengers is great

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2018 3:42 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Lady Bird.

What an honest, warm, heartfelt movie. Its flawed, very flawed but at the same time it nails a lot of its subjects. The final montage with her driving he car was superb. Gerwig has a voice and its shows here.
Very nice.

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2018 6:59 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
Lady Bird.

What an honest, warm, heartfelt movie. Its flawed, very flawed but at the same time it nails a lot of its subjects. The final montage with her driving he car was superb. Gerwig has a voice and its shows here.
Very nice.

:luv:

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2018 1:38 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Lady Bird.

Very nice.

:luv:

What did you loved about the movie?

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 1:39 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Watched the new IT last night. I liked it, a good updating of a story I was already familiar with. I generally like the kid actors and the tone of the film. And this version of Pennywise was fine, not a Tim Curry copycat in any way. I also liked that they didn't go overboard with CGI and managed to create some genuinely creepy sequences.
I'm sure I will see the follow up but the kid's half of the story is the better half. I also hope the producers go a different route with the final showdown than a giant spider.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 1:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

A Futile and Stupid Gesture. I'd like to read the book.

PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2018 10:46 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

The Birdcage 1996 Robin Williams, Nathan Lane

I hadn’t seen this since it was in cinemas and a podcast I listen to covered it this week so gave it a rewatch. Such a brilliant layered and hysterical film :)
In a way a lot of the humour and topics in it have kinda dated but in another way they haven’t either, our view changes at this remove but somehow we’re still dealing with those Same topics (‘you’re not a woman’ ‘oh..you bastard!’ Swoon :) and the abortion jokes.

one of the most subtle performances from Robin Williams ever but understated suits him here trying to keep his wife/partner/fill in appropriate, in check against a really uncomfortable but weirdly timely Gene Hackman performance as the Conservative republican senator mid scandal mid election.

Hank Azaria OWNS his role as Agador and the son, Val, is just a prick. On every level. But Armand and Albert do all they can to fulfill his totally unfair expectations and demands.

Never managed to see the original French version. Eager to look it up now.

Happy I gave this a spin :)

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 9:35 pm 
The Master

After rewatching the whole series:

1. The Fast and the Furious
2. The Fate of the Furious
3. Fast Five
4. Furious 6
5. 2 Fast 2 Furious
6. Furious Seven
7. Tokyo Drift
8. Fast & Furious

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 807, 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813 ... 2032  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment