The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 745, 746, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751 ... 2032  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Sun July 30, 2017 4:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The Argonaut wrote:
You threw "progressive" into the middle of that list just to annoy people, didnt you? When you say a film is "progressive", what do you mean?

8-)

In this case, I absolutely did it as a jokey reference.

PostPosted: Sun July 30, 2017 4:32 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

you sneaky mom

PostPosted: Sun July 30, 2017 4:37 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I mean, if you can't laugh at yourself...

PostPosted: Sun July 30, 2017 10:07 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Baby Driver.

Boring lame excuse of a movie. Wright is so busy trying to be cool, to have the coolest soundtrack and sequence that he forgets to make an actual movie....the love chemistry between the main character and the girl is zero. What a waste of time.

PostPosted: Sun July 30, 2017 10:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - I liked this for the most part, had a typical Guy Ritchie feel to it, but the wheels started to fall off towards the end

PostPosted: Sun July 30, 2017 10:15 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

VinylGuy wrote:
Baby Driver.

Boring lame excuse of a movie. Wright is so busy trying to be cool, to have the coolest soundtrack and sequence that he forgets to make an actual movie....the love chemistry between the main character and the girl is zero. What a waste of time.

agreed

Rangi Guy wrote:
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - I liked this for the most part, had a typical Guy Ritchie feel to it, but the wheels started to fall off towards the end

also agreed.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 3:09 am 
jeeeesus relax already

John Wick Chapter 2.

Well, i love Keanu and i like this character but it was a little boring. Im not sure this is a 2 hour long movie.
The Jerry Cantrell song at the end rules tough.

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 2:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

VinylGuy wrote:
Baby Driver.

I was so excited for the soundtrack and it's just about the most boring thing I've listened to this year.
VinylGuy wrote:
John Wick Chapter 2.

Well, i love Keanu and i like this character but it was a little boring. Im not sure this is a 2 hour long movie.
The Jerry Cantrell song at the end rules tough.

I liked the way it set up and carried the deaf bodyguard, that was really impressive. The shooting (film) was also amazing, with the amount of colors and action and style that just kept coming at you. Though that was almost to it's detriment at times.

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 2:59 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

If the soundtrack is boring....the movie clearly sucks.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 5:08 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Dunkirk. Really not good. It has a few strong points (performances, which are GREAT, and the score which is very effective) but relies far too much on editing to hack together a vaguely coherent story. I don't know how one could watch that and come away feeling like they just saw a satisfying piece of filmmaking. Also Nolan's blocking choices are bizarre

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 5:32 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
Dunkirk. Really not good. It has a few strong points (performances, which are GREAT, and the score which is very effective) but relies far too much on editing to hack together a vaguely coherent story. I don't know how one could watch that and come away feeling like they just saw a satisfying piece of filmmaking. Also Nolan's blocking choices are bizarre

I've heard there's little character focus or development, and that it's not really a great story nor a great war movie. Is it really a case of an unseen enemy?

Is this one of those movies that are better enjoyed if you read the book, or are aware of the true events that it's based on?

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 11:50 am 
The Master

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

I've heard there's little character focus or development, and that it's not really a great story nor a great war movie. Is it really a case of an unseen enemy?

Yes

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 7:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:

It seems I liked Dunkirk more than most. It's still not a great film. The performances are amazing. The score is... fine? It's effective, I guess, but it's also really front and center. It's a very in your face score. Which isn't necessarily bad but it did pull me out of the movie from time to time.

The editing itself didn't bother me. But I did feel that the narrative choice was unnecessary. The time jumps and non-linear nature also took me out of the movie at times.

I do disagree (as some have said) that the film lacks feeling and emotion. I had very visceral reactions to the final act especially. Ultimately, I liked but didn't love the movie. Definitely, one of the lesser Nolan films. But it still has a lot to like about it. Performances, tension, imagery, mood, and a very powerful final act.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 7:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Is this one of those movies that are better enjoyed if you read the book, or are aware of the true events that it's based on?

I wouldn't call it a "war movie" at all.

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 1:42 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

What a fucking rip-off! This A Ghost Story movie wasn't scary at all!

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 1:44 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

someone should sue them for false advertising.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 1:47 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

I wouldn't call it a "war movie" at all.

how in the holy fuck is dunkirk not a war movie joey

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 1:49 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

It seems I liked Dunkirk more than most. It's still not a great film. The performances are amazing. The score is... fine? It's effective, I guess, but it's also really front and center. It's a very in your face score. Which isn't necessarily bad but it did pull me out of the movie from time to time.

The editing itself didn't bother me. But I did feel that the narrative choice was unnecessary. The time jumps and non-linear nature also took me out of the movie at times.

I do disagree (as some have said) that the film lacks feeling and emotion. I had very visceral reactions to the final act especially. Ultimately, I liked but didn't love the movie. Definitely, one of the lesser Nolan films. But it still has a lot to like about it. Performances, tension, imagery, mood, and a very powerful final act.

That final act was hilarious. He just piled on a bunch of phony, manipulative, melodramatic "triumph" to the end of his dead-eyed, emotionless movie in a very "This is what humans feel, yes?" kind of way. He is a robot.

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 2:15 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The Argonaut wrote:
What a fucking rip-off! This A Ghost Story movie wasn't scary at all!

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 2:16 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

We Are All Robot. We Are All Have Feelings Inside and Outside. Hahahaha. Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 745, 746, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751 ... 2032  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment