The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40703 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1209, 1210, 1211, 1212, 1213, 1214, 1215 ... 2036  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2021 7:30 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

doug rr wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Our friends have a house in the Poconos and an apartment in the city. They're lease in the city is up. They're coming in tomorrow to pack their apartment, put stuff in storage, etc.

So we're going out to their house in PA to watch their dog for the week. We plan on watching a bunch of movies while we're out at the house. I'd love to get in a dozen, at least.

This will be one of them.

i hope they're not giving up a rent controlled city apartment...

oh heavens no

PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2021 7:32 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

enjoying I'm Thinking of Ending Things so far.. i must be in the correct mood for it

PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2021 7:38 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

i'm actually laughing quite a bit

PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2021 7:45 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

lol he turns into a petulant child completely embarrassed by his parents when they finally make it down the stairs.. there's a lot going on here with this house and family. so weird and hilarious

PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2021 7:50 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

lmao you'd think he'd have mentioned his weird feelings about his family on the long drive over but no they just show up

PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2021 7:56 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

wow this young actress is great i like her a lot

PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2021 8:10 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

oh man i love this movie i can't believe i let you idiots convince me i shouldn't watch it

PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2021 9:32 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

okay i can see why people have problems with this movie now.. it was really great until they leave the house though now it's weird and kinda baffling

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 5:20 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Nomadland.

Going to sit with this one but my initial impression is that while the cinematography and sound are stunning and McDormand was strong as usual, this was underwhelming.

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 5:41 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Mickey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Nomadland.

Yeah, i mean i liked it enough but there was absolutely no element of surprise with this movie. The framing and the photography reminded me of Malick sometimes, Mcdormand is good but at the same time, she can do this stuff in her sleep....the score was horrible, forcing you to feel sad about it...violins and piano while you see people work LOOK, LOOK THEY ARE WORKING FEEL SAD ABOUT IT.

It felt super weird.

ugh i'm going to hate this aspect

yeah, i hated it. Because it felt so class.

How do you mean?

sorry if its not the right translation...but those scenes with that music, forcing you to feel those moments were sad, were all you see is people working, trying to earn a living...felt like such a social class prejudice.

Hmm. I can see what you mean in theory but I haven't seen the movie so I can't really comment yet. I do think having to sell your labor in order to not die is sad! But I also think what you're describing sounds heavy handed and condescending. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's available to stream so I'll have to report back

of course its a hard life but violins? that piano...its all so miserable its super condescending. Its just people working and living and doing the best they can.

Yeah sounds really on the nose. I'm still looking forward to seeing it though so I'll let you know what I think.

Okay so I had a slightly different take but maybe it kind of dovetails with yours. I was actually fine with the score, I thought it was really beautiful, it fit with the landscape views and while I wasn't tracking it exactly I feel like they primarily used it when she was on the road, so that didn't feel condescending re: labor. I read it moreso as really emphasizing the sense of, you know, almost sublime freedom she feels which is also colored by, and maybe even produced by, intense grief. But I do agree that McDormand was underutilized, her acting was good but I don't know that we have a sense of who Fern is other than that she's quirky. The film was really precious with its plot development. No surprises, even down to a shot level (as soon as we see the old mine we basically know she's going to go inside and cry). It was only an hour and forty five but it felt much longer. And I'm not exactly sure how to articulate this but something about the whole labor part was off. Like I said, I didn't find it condescending exactly, I think the film did a good job actually of characterizing why these people are on the road and what kind of work they have to do to get by. But something about this return to 2008 felt heavy handed--really beating you over the head with this (especially the scene with the brother in law). And in a movie that was so understated in terms of plot it felt like the director was just holding up cue cards that said "THEME," "BIG IDEA." And it totally distanced me from the world of the movie itself in a way that felt like we were getting an outsider's view, an NPR view. Which is to say I both am and am not surprised that this is the Best Picture favorite.

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 7:42 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tree_ wrote:
okay i can see why people have problems with this movie now.. it was really great until they leave the house though now it's weird and kinda baffling

Lol yeah that happens

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 3:48 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Mickey wrote:
Mickey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Nomadland.

Yeah, i mean i liked it enough but there was absolutely no element of surprise with this movie. The framing and the photography reminded me of Malick sometimes, Mcdormand is good but at the same time, she can do this stuff in her sleep....the score was horrible, forcing you to feel sad about it...violins and piano while you see people work LOOK, LOOK THEY ARE WORKING FEEL SAD ABOUT IT.

It felt super weird.

ugh i'm going to hate this aspect

yeah, i hated it. Because it felt so class.

How do you mean?

sorry if its not the right translation...but those scenes with that music, forcing you to feel those moments were sad, were all you see is people working, trying to earn a living...felt like such a social class prejudice.

Hmm. I can see what you mean in theory but I haven't seen the movie so I can't really comment yet. I do think having to sell your labor in order to not die is sad! But I also think what you're describing sounds heavy handed and condescending. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's available to stream so I'll have to report back

of course its a hard life but violins? that piano...its all so miserable its super condescending. Its just people working and living and doing the best they can.

Yeah sounds really on the nose. I'm still looking forward to seeing it though so I'll let you know what I think.

Okay so I had a slightly different take but maybe it kind of dovetails with yours. I was actually fine with the score, I thought it was really beautiful, it fit with the landscape views and while I wasn't tracking it exactly I feel like they primarily used it when she was on the road, so that didn't feel condescending re: labor. I read it moreso as really emphasizing the sense of, you know, almost sublime freedom she feels which is also colored by, and maybe even produced by, intense grief. But I do agree that McDormand was underutilized, her acting was good but I don't know that we have a sense of who Fern is other than that she's quirky. The film was really precious with its plot development. No surprises, even down to a shot level (as soon as we see the old mine we basically know she's going to go inside and cry). It was only an hour and forty five but it felt much longer. And I'm not exactly sure how to articulate this but something about the whole labor part was off. Like I said, I didn't find it condescending exactly, I think the film did a good job actually of characterizing why these people are on the road and what kind of work they have to do to get by. But something about this return to 2008 felt heavy handed--really beating you over the head with this (especially the scene with the brother in law). And in a movie that was so understated in terms of plot it felt like the director was just holding up cue cards that said "THEME," "BIG IDEA." And it totally distanced me from the world of the movie itself in a way that felt like we were getting an outsider's view, an NPR view. Which is to say I both am and am not surprised that this is the Best Picture favorite.

yeah, i get that and i agree. The whole ¨theme¨ ¨Big idea¨stuff is totally there...almost as her pointing out how important that scene was look!! she is poor!! look! oh you dont get it? well here are some string for you!!!, oh you still dont get it? well, here its her sister telling that exact same thing to her!

Overall it felt like i already knew were the movie was headed since the first frame almost. And yeah, Mcdormand is just there to put her quirky face and thats pretty much it.

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 4:15 pm 
The Master

half of Hart’s War...not sure if I will finish

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 4:56 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy, if you don't like manipulative scores, may I recommend some Michael Haneke? He avoids them like the plague for the most part.

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 5:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Have an expiring Starz trial subscription so I'm probably going to watch either Natural Born Killers, True Romance, or Out of Sight today before it ends.

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 5:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Or, alternately, all three.

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 6:41 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Mickey wrote:
Or, alternately, all three.

Sounds unimaginably boring!

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 6:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm never surprised by the limits of your imagination

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 8:18 pm 
Production Police

Out Of Sight is the best of that bunch by a fair margin.

I watched Midnight Run. Pretty solid 80s buddy cop pic (so to speak).

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 8:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Mickey wrote:
I'm never surprised by the limits of your imagination

hard for me to imagine being such a loser I had the time or lack of energy required for watching 3 movies a day. but I do know people like you are out there. I am aware even if I can't relate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40703 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1209, 1210, 1211, 1212, 1213, 1214, 1215 ... 2036  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment