The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797, 798 ... 2035  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu January 25, 2018 8:29 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Get Out best movie?
Hilarious. I only support that because of its genre ( its a horror film dont call it ¨social¨) and because of Jason Blum.

PostPosted: Thu January 25, 2018 8:30 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Get Out is very good

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 6:34 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

The critics' top choice is also Get Out. http://www.criticstop10.com

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 8:17 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

How much of this is critics now just want to be seen to say the most acceptable thing rather than the truth.

In no universe was Get Out the best film of the year. It would have been that brave thought provoking film of the main character was white and the rest of the cast as rich black people.
That’s a dangerous film. Its almost like Scream with a twist. Politics aside it’s a forgettable film.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 8:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Only The Brave. :thumbsup: This was a lot better than I'd expected

Oh - and in the first 30 minutes or so Even Flows is playing

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 9:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
How much of this is critics now just want to be seen to say the most acceptable thing rather than the truth.

In no universe was Get Out the best film of the year. It would have been that brave thought provoking film of the main character was white and the rest of the cast as rich black people.
That’s a dangerous film. Its almost like Scream with a twist. Politics aside it’s a forgettable film.

This is such a stupid post dime. On many levels. The only level I'll dignify with a response is that is the idea that in no universe is this best picture. I think that's absurd. This nomination isn't about politics. The movie is well crafted on every single level and deserves the praise it's receiving. Do I personally think it's the bets film nominated? No. I don't. Am I glad to see that it's in the discussion? Absolutely. It sounds to me like you're letting your own bullshit get in the way of what is at least a highly enjoyable film.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 12:45 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

This is such a stupid post dime. On many levels. The only level I'll dignify with a response is that is the idea that in no universe is this best picture. I think that's absurd. This nomination isn't about politics. The movie is well crafted on every single level and deserves the praise it's receiving. Do I personally think it's the bets film nominated? No. I don't. Am I glad to see that it's in the discussion? Absolutely. It sounds to me like you're letting your own bullshit get in the way of what is at least a highly enjoyable film.

Not at all. I just didn’t like it much at all and don’t think it’s worthy of being in that category.
It’s definitely one that’s sparked conversation but it’s just so weirdly out of place and really is only included cos of the point it’s making rather than its merits as a film. I don’t know all the criteria required to be counted in that category but all the other films this year are better made works of the craft of cinema than Get out.

*for much the same reason I don’t see why ladybird is in there. At all. Found it to be completely unremarkable and forgettable.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 3:41 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

dimejinky99 wrote:

I agree with you. Its well crafted? yes. But its not great beside its politics in its time. Wes Craven did a better version of this more than 20 years ago...With Hollywood desperately trying to be inclusive in its bullshit way, this gets nominated.

I havent seen Ladybird but im guessing its kinda the same. I really want to see it though.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 3:47 pm 
The Master

Guys, the Oscars have been terrible for a long time. We really shouldn’t be using “Best Picture material” like that actually means anything about a movie’s quality.

OF COURSE Get Out is only being nominated because of its racial commentary. But that only says something about the Academy, not the movie, which is legitimately a great genre movie, hype or no hype.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 3:48 pm 

VinylGuy wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I agree with you. Its well crafted? yes. But its not great beside its politics in its time. Wes Craven did a better version of this more than 20 years ago...With Hollywood desperately trying to be inclusive in its bullshit way, this gets nominated.

I havent seen Ladybird but im guessing its kinda the same. I really want to see it though.

It’s kind of irrelevant in a way cos the Post will probably end up winning anyways.
But that just adds to the Oscars long and storied history of picking the totally wrong film in this category.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 3:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Ladybird's strengths rest in the performances of the ensemble and in Gerwig's uncanny ability to completely transport to a specific time and place. It's themes are universal enough to cross gender and age lines. Men and women both become attached to the characters because their experiences are so well drawn and the setting is so specific. Gerwig does for Sacramento what Woody Allen has long been credited for doing for New York City.

Ladybird is a love letter to a place, to a growing up as much as it is anything else. I'm not going to pretend the movie is some vast, next level, artistic achievement in cinema or anything like that. But it's well made. It is pure craft. And it has heart. It's not groundbreaking but it is foundational.

Get Out is groundbreaking. Every component of that film works in tandem for a pure, elevated experience. The more I watch it and the more I read about it, the more I understand just how masterful that movie is on every level. It's an astounding debut film.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 3:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

If The Post wins, it'll be a monumental upset.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 3:55 pm 
The Master

I really like Get Out but I definitely don’t think it’s in “masterful on every level” territory at all. The comic relief friend subplot is a glaring problem for me, and they pussied out with the ending (should have stuck with the original). Whenever the movie begins to reach maximum intensity, they cut to the friend and sap all the tension. It’s really frustrating. Seems like Peele resting on his comic background and not committing as fully as he should to the uncomfortable horror he’s created. I suspect he will get better at this as he matures as a filmmaker.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 3:56 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:

Yeah lol, The Post has no chance. It’s probably the best film in the race, though.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 3:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I really like Get Out but I definitely don’t think it’s in “masterful on every level” territory at all. The comic relief friend subplot is a glaring problem for me, and they pussied out with the ending (should have stuck with the original). Whenever the movie begins to reach maximum intensity, they cut to the friend and sap all the tension. It’s really frustrating. Seems like Peele resting on his comic background and not committing as fully as he should to the uncomfortable horror he’s created. I suspect he will get better at this as he matures as a filmmaker.

That's fair. I'm not sure I entirely agree but I understand what you're saying and I'll totally concede that the "comic relief" is often unnecessary and sometimes clumsy.

"Masterful on every level" is probably my typical hyperbole. But it's amazing to me how many layers the film has. The way the music, lighting, pace, performances, and all technical elements work together is masterful. And there are some super deep connections that really enrich the film, sometimes sub-consciously.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 4:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yeah lol, The Post has no chance. It’s probably the best film in the race, though.

I still need to see it. And I'm really looking forward to it. It's got some really tough competition for "best film in the race" though. I'm not expecting it to be that. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 4:00 pm 

If they had real balls Call me by your name would win. It’s the most artistic and human of all of them. Bloody heartbreaking and then uplifting. Loved it deeply.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 4:01 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

That's fair. I'm not sure I entirely agree but I understand what you're saying and I'll totally concede that the "comic relief" is often unnecessary and sometimes clumsy.

"Masterful on every level" is probably my typical hyperbole. But it's amazing to me how many layers the film has. The way the music, lighting, pace, performances, and all technical elements work together is masterful. And there are some super deep connections that really enrich the film, sometimes sub-consciously.

This was part of my confusion watching it. Is this a comedy? Then it’s a thriller? Wtf is going on?

I might watch it again. Always open to seeing new layers I missed.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 4:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
If they had real balls Call me by your name would win. It’s the most artistic and human of all of them. Bloody heartbreaking and then uplifting. Loved it deeply.

Another I've yet to see. I am looking forward to it, though. There's something really unsettling to me about the premise that has kept me from running out and seeing it. But I'll try to get to it before the ceremony.

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2018 4:04 pm 
The Master

I think I’m gonna try to see all the nominees before the Oscars, which I’ve never really done before.

Except The Shape of Water, since I’d definitely rather watch that one in 4K.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797, 798 ... 2035  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment