The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 904, 905, 906, 907, 908, 909, 910 ... 2022  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 11:21 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:
Nothing. I keep looking for something to come out in theaters so I can go eat some popcorn, but it all looks like trash.

Ditto that. Some of it's bad enough that even when it comes out on video and it's free at the library I still feel cheated.

PostPosted: Sat November 17, 2018 5:05 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Ant Man and The Wasp - this was pretty good. I really enjoy the smaller scale Marvel films

PostPosted: Sun November 18, 2018 6:08 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Mandy

Just awful. Overtly derivative of Evil Dead and David Lynch. Slow as shit, with a bunch of nonsensical stylistic choices.

ok, i'm not gonna backpedal on this, the movie sucked. BUT -- lots of imagery from the movie has been popping up in my mind's eye clear as day. So while i think the overall film was really bad, some of the frames were pretty great i guess.

PostPosted: Sun November 18, 2018 8:37 am 
Mind Your Tanners

The Meg. This was REALLY dumb, but it was also kinda fun

PostPosted: Sun November 18, 2018 10:38 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

The Clovehitch Killer.

It was ok....i was expecting a more cinematic experience. It looks pretty TV. But its a fine story.

PostPosted: Sun November 18, 2018 11:04 pm 
The Master

Movies on airplanes:

15:17 To Paris: Obviously a dice roll using the real life heroes in the lead roles. They are all pretty wooden, and most of the movie plays like an Army ad produced by the Hallmark Channel, but ill be damned if i didn't get a little teared up at the end.

Couples Retreat: The perfect airplane movie? I was mildly invested in the characters yet had no problem with pressing stop when our flight landed ten minutes before the credits rolled.

PostPosted: Mon November 19, 2018 9:02 pm 
The Master

Well ill be darned. I absolutely loved Bohemian Rhapsody.

PostPosted: Mon November 19, 2018 9:02 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon November 19, 2018 9:20 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Strat wrote:

Honest question.
The thing seems to be it’s an awful film but the last 20 minutes is awesome and will make you forget how bad all that came before was.

Be honest. Is that the case?

PostPosted: Mon November 19, 2018 9:42 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Honest question.
The thing seems to be it’s an awful film but the last 20 minutes is awesome and will make you forget how bad all that came before was.

Be honest. Is that the case?

Nah, i really enjoyed the entire thing. The ending and the Live Aid performance was remarkable though. I was almost in tears and had chills. They magically captured what it was like to be in an arena screaming and singing along with your favorite band. Brilliant.

Malek was amazing to watch.

Im not a huge queen fan nor do i know the in's and out's of their career or drama....I found it super entertaining and a great movie. I also left thinking "Fuck, I take Queen for granted"

Of course, it is a music biopic movie and those always tread on ridiculous ground but overall I absolutely loved it.

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 1:16 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

Yeah, so i havent seen any of the HP movies, i havent seen the previous one from this series...yeah, i was a little bit bored and confused with the storytelling.

But i enjoyed Depp a lot. It was a long time since i liked him this much.

Jude Law looks old as fuck.

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 1:24 am 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
Yeah, so i havent seen any of the HP movies, i havent seen the previous one from this series...yeah, i was a little bit bored and confused with the storytelling.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 1:39 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

yeah, that's rich

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 3:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:

Yeah, in tone, in lore, in world-building and expansion, it's as much a sequel to Deathly Hallows as it is to Fantastic Beasts. You absolutely HAVE to see Fantastic Beasts to have any idea what's going on in this (it wisely forgoes unnecessary recapping and exposition and just picks up and runs with the ball). But if you don't Potter, you're gonna be lost af.

I really liked the film. It's dense. There is A LOT going on. I wish this was a book, so badly. JK is packing this full of lore and references and world expansion.

Going back to Hogwarts felt legit like I was going back to my actual high school. It was so effective and emotional. The performers are outstanding. The visuals are stunning. The action is tense and extreme. This movie is DARK AS FUCK.

Spoiler: show
NO FEWER THAN TWO BABIES ARE KILLED!!!

But... it's also a bit tangled. JK has almost put too much into the film. Characters that are expected to drive the narrative take a backseat. This is as much Dumbledore and Grindelwald's movie as it is Newt's. And I did not expect that. Eddie does a WONDERFUL job but he's practically a secondary character.

End of the day... I loved the movie but it's definitely flawed. Certainly not the dumpster fire I was lead to believe it was. Infinitely interesting and compelling and upping the ante for Potter fans. I could drown in JK Rowling's storytelling. Her imagination is off the chart.

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 4:08 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Yeah, in tone, in lore, in world-building and expansion, it's as much a sequel to Deathly Hallows as it is to Fantastic Beasts. You absolutely HAVE to see Fantastic Beasts to have any idea what's going on in this (it wisely forgoes unnecessary recapping and exposition and just picks up and runs with the ball). But if you don't Potter, you're gonna be lost af.

I really liked the film. It's dense. There is A LOT going on. I wish this was a book, so badly. JK is packing this full of lore and references and world expansion.

Going back to Hogwarts felt legit like I was going back to my actual high school. It was so effective and emotional. The performers are outstanding. The visuals are stunning. The action is tense and extreme. This movie is DARK AS FUCK.

Spoiler: show
NO FEWER THAN TWO BABIES ARE KILLED!!!

But... it's also a bit tangled. JK has almost put too much into the film. Characters that are expected to drive the narrative take a backseat. This is as much Dumbledore and Grindelwald's movie as it is Newt's. And I did not expect that. Eddie does a WONDERFUL job but he's practically a secondary character.

End of the day... I loved the movie but it's definitely flawed. Certainly not the dumpster fire I was lead to believe it was. Infinitely interesting and compelling and upping the ante for Potter fans. I could drown in JK Rowling's storytelling. Her imagination is off the chart.

I hated Newt. Hated the performance of Redmayne. The whole cast minus Depp and Law are so bored to be there. They keep doing the same thing over and over again.
I thought the narrative was very clumsy. Lots of scenes were its hard to follow whats happening and why those guys are there. The scene at the library was weird with those two running to find who that guy was and suddenly they stop to talk endlessly about them.

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 5:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Oh man, Redmayne is outstanding. I'm sure familiarizing yourself with the first film in the series would help inform your take on him. Not that you'll totally change your mind totally but it'll give you needed information.

Some plot beats are clumsy. Some of it is just convoluted and will unfurl better upon repeated viewings and future sequels, I'm sure. I hate to say it because I adore JK Rowling as a novelist... but she probably shouldn't write these scripts alone. Her imagination is so sprawling, she should be writing these as novels and allowing somehow else to cut and modify for the screen. Maybe she'll get better as she writes more screenplays. But I hope she gets help for the next one.

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 5:16 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, i mean..im sure the potter books are great.

Ill watch the first part for sure, but here i didnt saw a character..i just saw Redmayne in a funny wig doing weird faces. It was distracting...but outside from Depp and Law, the whole cast was kinda like that.

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 5:51 pm 
The Master

The HP movies are great, VG. Give them a chance.

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 5:54 pm 
The Master

newt bores me

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 5:55 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The HP movies are great, VG. Give them a chance.

yeah, i will. I
m planning on starting soon maybe. But ill watch them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 904, 905, 906, 907, 908, 909, 910 ... 2022  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment