The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762, 763 ... 2022  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Mon September 18, 2017 3:26 am 
jeeeesus relax already

The Transfiguration.

Loved it. A slow burner full with beautiful, sad and haunting moments. Beautifully shot and with a pretty interesting ending. Very cool movie.

PostPosted: Mon September 18, 2017 7:54 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Mother!

:facepalm:

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon September 18, 2017 8:11 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Can we make it illegal for atheist Hollywood directors to make Christian allegories? They are boring me to tears. nobody. fucking. cares.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon September 18, 2017 8:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

Loving all the bizarre reviews/reactions to Mother!

I didn't like the trailer, but people seem to be leaving the theater genuinely perplexed.

I'm gonna have to watch it.

PostPosted: Mon September 18, 2017 10:06 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Watched Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul because I have a son in that age range who's read all the books. Also it was a free Redbox rental. Let me tell you: that was a terrible movie. There was one or two moments where it was legit LOL funny but I don't think it was due to the script or the acting. The one that sticks out the most was the scene that was a parody of Psycho, just because it was so far out of place that it was borderline absurd. There were jokes that were so obvious you could see them coming and the worst part is that maybe 50% of them never arrived. They just set them up and...that was it.

I guess taking a five-year break between movies made it so they had to recast everyone but holy crap. Alicia Silverstone?

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 12:25 am 
jeeeesus relax already

run2death wrote:
Loving all the bizarre reviews/reactions to Mother!

I didn't like the trailer, but people seem to be leaving the theater genuinely perplexed.

I'm gonna have to watch it.

I had an argument about it today...a co worker told me she was surprised on how It won the box office instead of mother! and that the studio must be baffled because of it.

Really? No way in hell they pretended this movie to be a hit right?

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2017 8:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Finally got around to watching Baby Driver - Really liked most of it, but it kinda fell apart at the end. Amazing soundtrack though!

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:56 am 
Future Drummer

Mother! was very impressive as a technical achievement and I wouldn't quite say I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say it's a bad film either. Interesting to compare it to The Fountain. Who hurt you, Darren?

PostPosted: Fri September 22, 2017 2:55 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

It.

Loved it. Im reading the book and they did a good job with the adaptation...the real fright of being a kid, the menace of the adults, the bullies..Derry itself...I would have loved more from that, but its still a great movie. Pennywise is fuckin good and the kids too.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 7:04 pm 
The Master

Movies I watched since I was last on RM:

It This was AWESOME. Incredibly faithful to the book, and the kids bring the same level of chemistry and acting as is found in The Goonies and Stand By Me; it's precisely what makes the scary parts of the movie work so well. I haven't had this much fun at a movie since Mad Max Fury Road. That said, I actually wish they just abandoned the plans for a sequel. If they stay as faithful to the source material as they did for the first one, that second movie is going to be awfully dark. This one worked because the kids were fun, and they brought a real sense of playfulness and levity to balance out the horror. But without any real levity to be found in the later adult story (spoiler alert: they're all pretty fucked up as adults), I think the sequel will probably suck.

American Honey Terrific piece of filmmaking that runs about 30 minutes too long. Shia Labeouf is at the top of his game. The film has an extremely visceral quality, and all the characters elicit real emotion from me. It was like Gummo with heart.

Richard Linklater: Dream Is Destiny If you're a Linklater fan, you'll love this.

Videos For Cats: Birds and Squirrels Wally and I both enjoyed this well enough.

American Ultra This was awful.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 7:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Killing Gunther - What a piece of crap, although I did enjoy Arnie in it

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 7:11 pm 
The Master

Welcome home, trag!

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 7:14 pm 
The Master

Thanks LV! How's everybody doing? Any major life news amongst the RMers?

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 7:17 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Thanks LV! How's everybody doing? Any major life news amongst the RMers?

Argo's Canadian now...I think that's it

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 7:23 pm 
The Master

Bourne Legacy. It was a Bourne movie without the charisma of Damon.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 7:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

“Wonder Woman” - good stuff, despite it feeling like 300 sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 11:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
Movies I watched since I was last on RM:

It This was AWESOME. Incredibly faithful to the book, and the kids bring the same level of chemistry and acting as is found in The Goonies and Stand By Me; it's precisely what makes the scary parts of the movie work so well. I haven't had this much fun at a movie since Mad Max Fury Road. That said, I actually wish they just abandoned the plans for a sequel. If they stay as faithful to the source material as they did for the first one, that second movie is going to be awfully dark. This one worked because the kids were fun, and they brought a real sense of playfulness and levity to balance out the horror. But without any real levity to be found in the later adult story (spoiler alert: they're all pretty fucked up as adults), I think the sequel will probably suck.

American Honey Terrific piece of filmmaking that runs about 30 minutes too long. Shia Labeouf is at the top of his game. The film has an extremely visceral quality, and all the characters elicit real emotion from me. It was like Gummo with heart.

Richard Linklater: Dream Is Destiny If you're a Linklater fan, you'll love this.

Videos For Cats: Birds and Squirrels Wally and I both enjoyed this well enough.

American Ultra This was awful.

I hope they stay true with the main source and made a really dark fucked up sequel to It.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 1:20 am 
The Master

Nocturnal animals

A little melodramatic but I really enjoyed it. The "novel" sequence was my favorite and i Love Amy Adams

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 2:12 am 
jeeeesus relax already

The Bad Batch.

Fucking boring piece of shit. It tries so hard to be cool and edgy it forgets to tell a story...reminds me of all the posers going to a burning man fest or something like that. Man, a waste of time.
The only good thing is Keanu. That men is a legend.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 8:16 pm 
The Master

I watched "The Survivalist" last night. I really enjoyed it. Definitely a very slow movie with little dialogue but this is my kind of movie. Post apoclypitc period in anywhere Earth. No idea what happened, where it is located, or know much background on anyone. Slow burn. Very graphic and real.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_survivalist_2017/

A time of starvation. The Survivalist lives off a small plot of land hidden deep in forest protecting his crop from intruders with his shotgun and improvised traps. But the long years alone have taken their toll on him and he is beginning to lose his grip on reality. Everything changes when a starving woman called KATHRYN and her teenage daughter, MILJA, discover the farm. Desperate for shelter, the mother offers up her daughter to spend the night with him in return for bed and board. Overcome with desire, Survivalist breaks his strict code of self-preservation and accepts them into his cabin. As the exchange becomes an uneasy ongoing arrangement, the women plot to get rid of Survivalist and have the farm for themselves. But just as they are about to put their plan into action, an intruder kidnaps Milja and Survivalist risks his life to save her. As he is nursed back to health by the women, food runs short on the farm and they are forced to make desperate decisions to survive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762, 763 ... 2022  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment