The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1241, 1242, 1243, 1244, 1245, 1246, 1247 ... 2032  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 4:39 am 
Production Police

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Very fun! A little dated in its hip cheekiness. Kilmer was especially great.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 4:49 am 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Very fun! A little dated in its hip cheekiness. Kilmer was especially great.

I love that movie.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 5:00 am 
Mind Your Tanners

VinylGuy wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Mickey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
WeWork: Or the Making and Breaking of a $47 Billion Unicorn

Man, that was awesome. I love this docs were they show you this stories.

Yeah echoing this, this was great.

I didn't like this as much as y'all did. I didn't hate it by any means but it's a pretty service level doc. I have so many questions and some of the narrative choices are strange if not distasteful, especially regarding the wife.

Still, a lot to think about and discuss. I'm always interested in things like this. It definitely makes me want to look into it more.

what did you found distasteful about his wife? If only i thought they should have put her and the other partner more into the spotlight

Yeah I'd be curious about this too. His wife is just as nuts as he is and I thought the movie... showed that.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 5:40 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Reminds me of my brief experience with a big game corporation. Millions lit on fire by idiot children every week. It was amazing to watch in real time.

This doc is plodding and surface level though. Maybe it's because I saw a great episode of American Greed before (they also have a good Fyrefest one), but I kept wishing they'd get to the point.

They never even say why WeWork was a bad idea. They barely even touch on the grift!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 6:54 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Best Of Enemies

Sounds like an interesting story. Even just two minutes in I’m intrigued.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 2:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Mickey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
WeWork: Or the Making and Breaking of a $47 Billion Unicorn

Man, that was awesome. I love this docs were they show you this stories.

Yeah echoing this, this was great.

I didn't like this as much as y'all did. I didn't hate it by any means but it's a pretty service level doc. I have so many questions and some of the narrative choices are strange if not distasteful, especially regarding the wife.

Still, a lot to think about and discuss. I'm always interested in things like this. It definitely makes me want to look into it more.

what did you found distasteful about his wife? If only i thought they should have put her and the other partner more into the spotlight

Yeah I'd be curious about this too. His wife is just as nuts as he is and I thought the movie... showed that.

I wanted more of her for sure. That's a big part of it.

Is she as nuts as him? Does the movie show that? I know the movie told me that but they didn't show me.

Adam is given some slack. We hear over and over how charming he is, his easily we can make excuses fire him. He's given layers and context. We're told to distrust and dislike her from the jump. And seemingly a big reason for that is... Gwyneth Paltrow...?

It's a Yoko Ono style hit job. I wish they had talked about and presented her differently. It just felt icky and kinda misogynistic to me. I just wanted more context and nuance.

She might be bonkers. She might be manipulating him. She might be shrewd and controlling. But show me the evidence of that don't just say it in them move on.

There are so many holes and unexplored roads in this doc.

Like what about the other partner? What's his story? Is he still involved? Did he get a golden parachute?

It was an interesting piece but not a great documentary.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 2:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
Reminds me of my brief experience with a big game corporation. Millions lit on fire by idiot children every week. It was amazing to watch in real time.

This doc is plodding and surface level though. Maybe it's because I saw a great episode of American Greed before (they also have a good Fyrefest one), but I kept wishing they'd get to the point.

They never even say why WeWork was a bad idea. They barely even touch on the grift!

Yeah, team Burt. I still don't feel like I understand what it is or what happened really.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 2:33 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I tried WeWork for a month. I enjoyed the space but it was too crowded and it took forever to use the elevators because they were always full. A guy I met there told me about this different coworking space he was going to be moving to, and I followed him over. And that's how I met my now girlfriend, who was working the front desk at the new place! Thanks for sucking, WeWork

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 3:29 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Interesting, it didnt felt misogynistic at all to me.

Like i said, it felt she and the partner got away with a lot while the doc is mainly focused on the main guy, and from the get go, the first frame, its not a good light he is on. As for her part, well its documented enough with her interactions with crowds and the We Learn stuff. That and We Live sent shudders to my spine.

Of course the doc needs to address more stuff, but its mainly focused on the culture of capitalism and its new ways of propaganda, the social networks, the overall greediness of these guys...The We Work idea wasnt bad. And it worked super well, but those guys, the japanese guy, they all sell smoke mirrors....a tech company? thats hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 3:29 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Jorge wrote:
I tried WeWork for a month. I enjoyed the space but it was too crowded and it took forever to use the elevators because they were always full. A guy I met there told me about this different coworking space he was going to be moving to, and I followed him over. And that's how I met my now girlfriend, who was working the front desk at the new place! Thanks for sucking, WeWork

Such a hipster.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 3:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

epilogue wrote:
Yeah, team Burt

I usually take this as a warning sign.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 3:37 pm 
The Master

inherent vice - i was loving the first 30-45 minutes, but my interest in the overall plot began to wane...i know it's going to be one i'll need to see again to gauge how i really feel though

it's always pleasant to be reminded how good joaquin is though

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 3:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I tried to watch Inherent Vice on a plane once and just could not follow the thread. Should go back to it in a better environment.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 3:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I tried to read the book...impossible. Saw the movie just once and didnt understand a thing.

I might re watch it just for that Brolin scene eating the marihuana

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 3:53 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I liked it. Brolin is great.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 3:56 pm 
Production Police

Brolin is awesome but it’s a bad movie

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 4:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Home Alone 3 with the fam last night. There are a lot of guns in this for a kid’s movie.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 4:21 pm 
The Master

Mickey wrote:
I tried to watch Inherent Vice on a plane once and just could not follow the thread. Should go back to it in a better environment.

i'm not sure it's follow-able, but also i'm dumb as hell

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 4:22 pm 
The Master

the hilarious bits are alone enough to watch it though

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 4:47 pm 
Future Drummer

Inherent Vice is meant to be intentionally confusing I think, often to its detriment. But there's still a lot of great stuff in it. It's a really pretty movie to look at.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1241, 1242, 1243, 1244, 1245, 1246, 1247 ... 2032  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment