The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 684, 685, 686, 687, 688, 689, 690 ... 2035  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2017 6:02 pm 
Production Police

washing machine wrote:
I watched Blow yesterday for the first time in maybe ten years. I remember it being meh on the cinematic front but enjoyable from a purely movie fan perspective. Something you wouldn't turn off if it came on TV...

This time around, I kind of hated it. None of George's moves from A to B to C seemed realistic, the soundtrack wasn't as good as I remember, and there were a lot less of the coke-addled freak outs or Mexican standoffs that actors and actresses in these sorts of movies often do well. No Scarface or Goodfellas moments to speak of.

Could have been a very disappointing afternoon all around if not for the quick remedy of walking over to the ice house down the street for tacos and beer after the credits started rolling.

Ice house? What is this ice house concept you speak of?

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2017 6:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I watched Blow yesterday for the first time in maybe ten years. I remember it being meh on the cinematic front but enjoyable from a purely movie fan perspective. Something you wouldn't turn off if it came on TV...

This time around, I kind of hated it. None of George's moves from A to B to C seemed realistic, the soundtrack wasn't as good as I remember, and there were a lot less of the coke-addled freak outs or Mexican standoffs that actors and actresses in these sorts of movies often do well. No Scarface or Goodfellas moments to speak of.

Could have been a very disappointing afternoon all around if not for the quick remedy of walking over to the ice house down the street for tacos and beer after the credits started rolling.

In general
In particular

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2017 6:09 pm 
Production Police

washing machine wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
washing machine wrote:

In general
In particular

Fascinating. And here I've been buying my dry ice from a local company called The Ice House all this time, and had no idea about the history of the term. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2017 6:21 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Anytime, my friend.

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2017 10:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

I got dragged to see beauty and the beast

What bothered me is the dudes curse was to be turned into a beast and wiped out of everyone's minds.. someone finally discovers him.. instead of devising a plan to use him to leading ladies there/break the spell, he decides to permanently lock him up

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2017 11:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Split - loved this! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Gorillas in the Mist :thumbsup:
Green Room :wave:

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 12:46 am 
The Master

I just saw two movies with a live introduction by James Ellroy, and if anyone is wondering, James Ellroy is a lunatic.

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 12:49 am 
Production Police

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I just saw two movies with a live introduction by James Ellroy, and if anyone is wondering, James Ellroy is a lunatic.

I'd love to hear more. I'm assuming you watched LA Confidential and Black Dahlia? I never saw the latter, but loved the former. Should I bother?

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 1:00 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I'd love to hear more. I'm assuming you watched LA Confidential and Black Dahlia? I never saw the latter, but loved the former. Should I bother?

No, it was two Film Noir movies from the '50s (Nightfall, which I've seen before and love, and The Lineup, which is mostly dull but has a great central performance and a great final act). But, FWIW, I like The Black Dahlia. Any Brian De Palma movie is worth watching as a general rule of thumb.

As for Ellroy, he grunted and howled a lot. Referred to the audience as "pederasts, pantie-sniffers, punks, and pimps." He mentioned his "donkey dick" multiple times, said all of his books are masterpieces, and said if everyone in the theater buys 100 copies of one his books, they will get to have sex with anyone they want forever.

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 1:03 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Nice

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 1:09 am 
Production Police

Yikes

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 3:49 am 
Production Police

Moonlight. Fantastic. I loved literally everything about this film. The characters felt entirely real. The hand-held camera work felt visceral and immediate in a way that so many others strive for. The structure of the story was executed perfectly -- concise and honest, without needless exploration, over-dramatization, or other pointless padding. Every single performance was stellar, and the three actors playing Chiron somehow all managed to string together their individuals performances to create a cohesive portrait. Really superb, and just so ridiculous that a movie like Hell of High Water could even be considered to compete for a best picture nom with something like this.

Also, this makes me feel good:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/moo ... 0edc2ec6fa

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 4:07 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Noghtcrawler - holy shit, Woody Harrelson would love this movie

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 4:09 am 
Production Police

Kaius wrote:
Noghtcrawler - holy shit, Woody Harrelson would love this movie

Nightcrawler is awesome, but I don't understand the Woody comment?

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 12:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Rogue One on digital download.

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 5:49 pm 
Production Police

tragabigzanda wrote:
Moonlight. Fantastic. I loved literally everything about this film. The characters felt entirely real. The hand-held camera work felt visceral and immediate in a way that so many others strive for. The structure of the story was executed perfectly -- concise and honest, without needless exploration, over-dramatization, or other pointless padding. Every single performance was stellar, and the three actors playing Chiron somehow all managed to string together their individuals performances to create a cohesive portrait. Really superb, and just so ridiculous that a movie like Hell of High Water could even be considered to compete for a best picture nom with something like this.

Thinking more about this early this morning, I was struck by how the second-to-last shot of the film (not the kid in the blue moonlight, but adult Chiron at Kevin's apartment) was so perfect...And yet it's just a shot of Chiron's face. And you can see everything there: his fear, his sweetness, his anticipation for his impending intimacy with Kevin, his anger, his brutality...It's a testament to both the quality of the film and the actor's performance that a shot of his face could convey so much.

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 6:01 pm 
Production Police

This quote from Peter Travers's review is right on the money:

It's just when you think you hear the clichés clicking into place that Jenkins pulls the rug out from under you.

Yes, absolutely. This film could have so easily devolved into pretentious Oscar bait, but it soars above its obvious conventions from start to finish.

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 6:14 pm 
The Master

Man I am gonna hate this movie

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 6:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Solace - was pretty good despite the crappy ending

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 6:38 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:

I liked the photography and the edition, and a few stylish ideas in the direction....but i didnt liked anything else really...the story was a big wtf.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 684, 685, 686, 687, 688, 689, 690 ... 2035  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment