The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 830, 831, 832, 833, 834, 835, 836 ... 2032  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 4:32 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Rewatching The Post. Man, this movie kinda floors me. Spielberg's natural intuition for composition - and I mean everything that entails: blocking, framing, lighting, camera movement, editing - is just unparalleled. I didn't even notice the first time (and no one seems to be talking about) how many floating long-takes are used, which I think is because they are so organic and seamless - the opposite of the show-stopping showiness of someone like Alfonso Cuaron. He always thinks about how each shot and cut will affect the whole of the work. There's one beautiful one near the beginning where the camera tracks characters while being separated by a row of desks before cutting through an aisle to get closer and then following them into an office and gracefully moving around them to the other side of the room. Just effortless, fluid, magnificent. Never calls attention to itself - it simply breathes naturally. The film is buoyed by constant, subtle visual vitality.

On top of that, Spielberg's love of character idiosyncrasies is in full effect; again, I keep noticing things I didn't catch the first time around, especially with Streep's character. Taking off her large earring to answer a phone call, for example. Just an consistent stream of tiny details to give the characters (and the movie) a sense of life and personality. My god, what a talent he is.

Verm can you tell me more about the ghost/skeleton/shrouded figure please.

Nope, I’m mystified. I kept my eyes out for it this time. It’s a little scary, TBH.

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 4:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Rewatching The Post. Man, this movie kinda floors me. Spielberg's natural intuition for composition - and I mean everything that entails: blocking, framing, lighting, camera movement, editing - is just unparalleled. I didn't even notice the first time (and no one seems to be talking about) how many floating long-takes are used, which I think is because they are so organic and seamless - the opposite of the show-stopping showiness of someone like Alfonso Cuaron. He always thinks about how each shot and cut will affect the whole of the work. There's one beautiful one near the beginning where the camera tracks characters while being separated by a row of desks before cutting through an aisle to get closer and then following them into an office and gracefully moving around them to the other side of the room. Just effortless, fluid, magnificent. Never calls attention to itself - it simply breathes naturally. The film is buoyed by constant, subtle visual vitality.

On top of that, Spielberg's love of character idiosyncrasies is in full effect; again, I keep noticing things I didn't catch the first time around, especially with Streep's character. Taking off her large earring to answer a phone call, for example. Just an consistent stream of tiny details to give the characters (and the movie) a sense of life and personality. My god, what a talent he is.

Verm can you tell me more about the ghost/skeleton/shrouded figure please.

Nope, I’m mystified. I kept my eyes out for it this time. It’s a little scary, TBH.

It's this little moment that has me more interested in seeing this movie than anything else.

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 4:47 pm 
The Master

I think you’d like the movie.

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 4:52 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It is really good

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 4:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I really want to see it but my wife really doesn't. I'll have to watch it one of these nights when she's working late.

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 9:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Maybe I've mentioned this before but I have this weird birthday tradition. I didn't intend it. It just sort of happened. For the past few years I've gone to go see a Jason Sudeikis movie on or the day after my birthday. I've either gotten super drunk during the movie or gone in super hungover. To honor this budding tradition, last night, my wife and I drank too much whiskey and watched Kodachrome. We did not like it very much. But Ed Harris is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 10:00 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The last movie of his I watched was Colossal. That was such a good movie, and so different from what I expected from him as an actor. It started pretty much what I thought it would be like but it got pretty dark. Such a great movie.

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 10:05 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
The last movie of his I watched was Colossal. That was such a good movie, and so different from what I expected from him as an actor. It started pretty much what I thought it would be like but it got pretty dark. Such a great movie.

Colossal was my Booze & Sudeikis birthday movie last year!

And I really loved it. It's by far the best of the Booze & Sudeikis movies I've seen.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 3:35 am 
Production Police

Last Flag Flying.

Like a lot of Linklater, the characters transcend the filmmaking technique. Steve Carrell has barely any lines, yet he owns the whole film. Despite being based on a book, it feels more like a play.

It's a road movie; a war movie (Vietnam and Iraq 2003); a film about men; about getting older and death; about regrets and looking forward; about religion; addiction... It's all of those things and none of those things, because it's really just four guys talking as they transport a body across the country.

Linklater gets a little schmaltzy at times, but then other scenes hit really hard. One scene in particular got me choked up -- Cicely Tyson outshines Carrell with about two minutes of screen time.

Unless you're a big Linklater fan; feeling particularly pensive; or maybe if you're a veteran (I'm just guessing), you can probably skip it. But I really enjoyed it, despite it being mostly a bummer.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 5:18 pm 
AnalLog

Super Troopers II

can't recall the last time i had laughed that much in a theater :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun April 29, 2018 3:13 am 
Production Police

wife has never seen Training Day so we watched that. Still awesome. Are any other Fuqua movies worth my time?

PostPosted: Sun April 29, 2018 3:22 am 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
wife has never seen Training Day so we watched that. Still awesome. Are any other Fuqua movies worth my time?

Not really. The Equalizer is a piece of shit.

PostPosted: Sun April 29, 2018 3:23 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:

Shooter is a bit of a hidden gem, and I actually like his King Arthur. Southpaw is also good

PostPosted: Sun April 29, 2018 3:26 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

The Argonaut wrote:
Stumbled across an interesting movie on Netflix that I'd never heard of before: Last Knights. It stars Clive Owen and Morgan Freeman, and is kind of hard to explain. The best I can come up with is that it's a samurai flick that takes place in a post-racial dystopia 1000 years ago in the future. Really, it's just a samurai movie with a multi-ethnic cast and a white leading man, but whatever. Apparently, there was no U.S. theatrical release.
It's not stupendous or anything, but it's better than its 14% on Rotten Tomatoes, for sure. Worth a look. Good movie for a night of easy, action viewing.
It's also just perfectly in my wheelhouse: a samurai movie starring Clive Owen is the stuff of dreams for me.

Bump from jan 2017 because my writeup of this movie is dope as hell.

PostPosted: Sun April 29, 2018 4:58 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:

I don't even think Training Day is worth your time.

PostPosted: Sun April 29, 2018 5:03 am 
The Master

Fuqua is hit or miss. I love Southpaw and Brooklyn’s Finest.

PostPosted: Sun April 29, 2018 6:00 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I liked Tears of the Sun.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun April 29, 2018 6:21 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Tragedy Girls.

Awesome awesome....a fun, violent, gory movie with great performances. What a great surprise. Oh and that ending!!

PostPosted: Sun April 29, 2018 11:16 am 
Looks Like a Cat

"Wind River" - Mixed about this one, the rape metaphor was just too in your face.

PostPosted: Sun April 29, 2018 1:36 pm 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
"Wind River" - Mixed about this one, the rape metaphor was just too in your face.

this felt like a network TV movie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 830, 831, 832, 833, 834, 835, 836 ... 2032  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment