The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813, 814 ... 889  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 14643
Good Time.

Yeah, well...not my coup of tea here. I like the overall aesthetics, framing and the frantic pace, but the script is garbage.
A letdown.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 4:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 36983
Loved, loved, loved Murder on the Orient Express. Beautifully atmospheric, and holy shit, I have never noticed how great of an actor Kenneth Branagh is before. He is AMAZING in this. I have seen other adaptations of this story before, but this blew those away, and a lot of it is because of how he brings Poirot to life.

I really like this article about some of the technical aspects of the film: http://www.studiodaily.com/2017/11/hari ... t-express/

I think the most important thing mentioned is this:

Quote:
The 65mm format worked in concert with film grammar that featured fewer cuts. Zambarloukos estimates the film has an average of 150 edits per reel, a fraction of what’s considered normal in current cinema.


You can really feel this in the way the film breathes; it's like it's ripped from another era. It's still, patient, and controlled - much like Poirot himself. I found it very refreshing. What a wonderful movie.

_________________
96583UP wrote:
Sincerely,
Fred Savage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 5:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Fri March 22, 2013 7:20 pm
Posts: 9153
Location: 41.1716° S, 174.8248° E
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Loved, loved, loved Murder on the Orient Express. Beautifully atmospheric, and holy shit, I have never noticed how great of an actor Kenneth Branagh is before. He is AMAZING in this. I have seen other adaptations of this story before, but this blew those away, and a lot of it is because of how he brings Poirot to life.

I really like this article about some of the technical aspects of the film: http://www.studiodaily.com/2017/11/hari ... t-express/

I think the most important thing mentioned is this:

Quote:
The 65mm format worked in concert with film grammar that featured fewer cuts. Zambarloukos estimates the film has an average of 150 edits per reel, a fraction of what’s considered normal in current cinema.


You can really feel this in the way the film breathes; it's like it's ripped from another era. It's still, patient, and controlled - much like Poirot himself. I found it very refreshing. What a wonderful movie.

Loved the visuals and most of the film. Didn't like the ending

_________________
"I really enjoy sandwiches but the other guys are so good at making sandwiches that I don't make them. Now I make sandwiches."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 5:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 36983
Rangi Guy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Loved, loved, loved Murder on the Orient Express. Beautifully atmospheric, and holy shit, I have never noticed how great of an actor Kenneth Branagh is before. He is AMAZING in this. I have seen other adaptations of this story before, but this blew those away, and a lot of it is because of how he brings Poirot to life.

I really like this article about some of the technical aspects of the film: http://www.studiodaily.com/2017/11/hari ... t-express/

I think the most important thing mentioned is this:

Quote:
The 65mm format worked in concert with film grammar that featured fewer cuts. Zambarloukos estimates the film has an average of 150 edits per reel, a fraction of what’s considered normal in current cinema.


You can really feel this in the way the film breathes; it's like it's ripped from another era. It's still, patient, and controlled - much like Poirot himself. I found it very refreshing. What a wonderful movie.

Loved the visuals and most of the film. Didn't like the ending

Really?! I thought the ending was beautiful. It got me choked up. I though Branagh’s take had a totally different tone and meaning than, say, Lumet’s version. It’s an interesting contrast.

_________________
96583UP wrote:
Sincerely,
Fred Savage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 5:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Fri March 22, 2013 7:20 pm
Posts: 9153
Location: 41.1716° S, 174.8248° E
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Loved, loved, loved Murder on the Orient Express. Beautifully atmospheric, and holy shit, I have never noticed how great of an actor Kenneth Branagh is before. He is AMAZING in this. I have seen other adaptations of this story before, but this blew those away, and a lot of it is because of how he brings Poirot to life.

I really like this article about some of the technical aspects of the film: http://www.studiodaily.com/2017/11/hari ... t-express/

I think the most important thing mentioned is this:

Quote:
The 65mm format worked in concert with film grammar that featured fewer cuts. Zambarloukos estimates the film has an average of 150 edits per reel, a fraction of what’s considered normal in current cinema.


You can really feel this in the way the film breathes; it's like it's ripped from another era. It's still, patient, and controlled - much like Poirot himself. I found it very refreshing. What a wonderful movie.

Loved the visuals and most of the film. Didn't like the ending

Really?! I thought the ending was beautiful. It got me choked up. I though Branagh’s take had a totally different tone and meaning than, say, Lumet’s version. It’s an interesting contrast.

I just thought that the ending was a bit 'Meh' - I am excited for the next installment though

_________________
"I really enjoy sandwiches but the other guys are so good at making sandwiches that I don't make them. Now I make sandwiches."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 1:51 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4405
"The Science of Fasting"

I thought this was going to be about science and nutrition. I was wrong.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 2:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 3465
I'm sure someone has already made this observation in here, but the score in "Dunkirk" is fucking ridiculously overbearing. All sense of drama and scale gets lost because it one fucking tense piece of music after another. Ugh!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 2:45 am 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 21649
Location: the beach
..and to top it off, its a shitty movie


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 2:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 8532
Bi_3 wrote:
"The Science of Fisting"

I thought this was going to be about NFL Flag Protesting. Man, was I wrong.

_________________
Pollster Rights for All


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 13555
Location: mtlqcca
Watched both Sin City movies tonigbt. The first one reallly is great, absolutely holds up. The second is pretty boring actually, totally forgettable, and just not good

_________________
If we don't open our eyes to reality soon, they'll get fucked right out of our heads


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 50702
The Argonaut wrote:
Watched both Sin City movies tonigbt. The first one reallly is great, absolutely holds up. The second is pretty boring actually, totally forgettable, and just not good

i think i'd still dig the first...never had any desire to see the second

_________________
Jammer XCI wrote:
My bong got broken tonight


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 2:54 pm 
Online
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 5593
Location: Washington State
run2death wrote:
I'm sure someone has already made this observation in here, but the score in "Dunkirk" is fucking ridiculously overbearing. All sense of drama and scale gets lost because it one fucking tense piece of music after another. Ugh!
True story.
doug rr wrote:
..and to top it off, its a shitty movie

Image

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 11:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 3465
Tammy and the T-Rex. What... the... fuck!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 21788
Florida project

Jesus this is heavy going

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 33685
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
run2death wrote:
Tammy and the T-Rex. What... the... fuck!

Classic cinema

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 33685
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
Watched both Sin City movies tonigbt. The first one reallly is great, absolutely holds up. The second is pretty boring actually, totally forgettable, and just not good

i think i'd still dig the first...never had any desire to see the second

I still like the first one a lot. I walked out of the second out of sheer boredom

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 12:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 9008
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Loved, loved, loved Murder on the Orient Express. Beautifully atmospheric, and holy shit, I have never noticed how great of an actor Kenneth Branagh is before. He is AMAZING in this. I have seen other adaptations of this story before, but this blew those away, and a lot of it is because of how he brings Poirot to life.

I really like this article about some of the technical aspects of the film: http://www.studiodaily.com/2017/11/hari ... t-express/

I think the most important thing mentioned is this:

Quote:
The 65mm format worked in concert with film grammar that featured fewer cuts. Zambarloukos estimates the film has an average of 150 edits per reel, a fraction of what’s considered normal in current cinema.


You can really feel this in the way the film breathes; it's like it's ripped from another era. It's still, patient, and controlled - much like Poirot himself. I found it very refreshing. What a wonderful movie.


I really want to see this.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Sat March 03, 2018 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Fri March 22, 2013 7:20 pm
Posts: 9153
Location: 41.1716° S, 174.8248° E
The Death of Stalin. Pretty damn good

_________________
"I really enjoy sandwiches but the other guys are so good at making sandwiches that I don't make them. Now I make sandwiches."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Sun March 04, 2018 3:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 8939
Location: An office full of assholes
Guys, I got 4 10 year olds sleeping over tonight and need a movie suggestion. Thinking of Goomies, Jaws, or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Any others?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Sun March 04, 2018 3:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 50917
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Guys, I got 4 10 year olds sleeping over tonight and need a movie suggestion. Thinking of Goomies, Jaws, or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Any others?

Weekend at Bernie's

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813, 814 ... 889  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bart, Majestic-12 [Bot], wease and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Thu September 20, 2018 1:27 am