The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Iron Man 3 (05-03-13)
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 pm 
AnalLog

Peeps wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
I can except the "house party protocol" not being used till the end
I still can not except that SHIELD was not the ones digging out that house / guarding the armor. They were all up in Tonys business when he lost control in 2, but NO EXPLANATION to why their no where to be seen in 3? especially after the Avengers? is pretty lame.

That end sequence of "oh yeah I got the metal in my chest taken out" was really lame too.

Other than that its a fine summer block buster bang em up / explode things / witty one liners movie.

oh, and the people on other boards that are seriously saying this movie is better than the Avengers need to stop trying to be cool by saying somethings better than the Avengers simply to try and say somethings better than the Avengers? If anything this movies biggest weakness is that they tried to make the final battle as grand as the Avengers.

Im ready for The Wolverine (see any of you who want to talk mutant in the X-thread :twisted: )

i cant accept you dont know the difference between accept and except....

I can accept that except ill still make the mistake again at some point im sure... cursed engrish wangauge!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The "House Party Protocol" would have been much better if they hadn't blown it already in the trailer.

And yeah, i kept wondering the whole time about not needing the arc reactor to power the suit. Was that ever explained? If so, I'm guessin it was in the second movie after Cheadle stole War Machine.

Good movie but not great though. Like it was mentioned, Tony spent more time out of the suit than in it and most probably expected the opposite.

And the Mandarin thing kinda disappointed me. He seemed like a truly dark villain but turned out hollow. I wanted him to be like Bain.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Marvel Cliffhanger: Robert Downey Jr.'s $50 Million Sequel Showdown
5/7/2013 by Borys Kit , Paul Bond Hollywood Reporter

On May 6, Robert Downey Jr. and about 20 well-wishers settled into a private dinner at Spago organized by his wife and producing partner, Susan Downey. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige attended, as did Disney Studios head Alan Horn and director Shane Black.

The Monday night get-together ostensibly was to celebrate the amazing opening for Iron Man 3, which scored the second-highest domestic bow to date with $174.1 million (second only to Downey’s own The Avengers at $207.4 million). Internationally, where the movie opened earlier, the tally stood at $504.8 million for a worldwide total of $678.9 million after just 10 days.

But the meal also kicked off a crucial period for Disney, Marvel and Downey because the actor -- arguably the center of the mega-grossing Marvel movie universe -- is not signed for another turn as Tony Stark. Sources close to the dealmaking say Downey has entered negotiations to reprise his role in Marvel’s The Avengers 2 and The Avengers 3, the first of which has a May 1, 2015, release date and will cap what is known as Phase 2 of the Marvel movies in the same way 2012’s Avengers culminated the first Marvel wave that began with 2008’s Iron Man. Avengers 3 has no release date and probably will not hit screens at least until the end of Phase 3, in 2017.

But sources say Iron Man 4 has not been part of the discussions, and it’s unclear whether Downey, 48, wants to return for another stand-alone sequel.

Signing him for one or multiple movies won’t be cheap. When Iron Man became a surprise blockbuster, Downey’s CAA reps negotiated a deal to include what sources told THR in 2012 is a slice of Marvel’s first-dollar gross from every movie in which he plays the character. One source pegged that in the 5 percent to 7 percent range; Disney, Marvel and Downey’s reps declined comment. For Avengers, Downey’s pay zoomed past $50 million with box-office bonuses and backend, a number the actor confirmed in the June issue of GQ. “Isn’t that crazy? They are so pissed,” he said of Marvel. “I’m what’s known as a strategic cost.”

That strategic cost likely will be about the same for Iron Man 3. And it might go up if Marvel, led by the famously frugal Ike Perlmutter, wants Downey back. The numbers suggest Downey, far more than any other Marvel player, is worth his price. Despite success launching stand-alone franchises in Thor and Captain America, the fact is the Marvel movies in which Downey appears perform far better than those in which he doesn’t. Iron Man 2, for instance, outgrossed Thor by 39 percent and Captain America by 69 percent worldwide.

Thanks to the success of the Marvel movies and their ancillary revenue, analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen and Co. says the unit generates $400 million to $500 million in annual operating income, about 5 percent of Disney’s total haul. With taxes, Creutz believes Disney CEO Robert Iger’s $4.3 billion acquisition of the company in 2009 will have paid for itself in 15 years, far earlier than analysts first predicted. Even Paramount, whose right to distribute Iron Man 3 was bought out in the 2009 Disney deal, will earn more than $100 million if the film continues its trajectory, according to another analyst.

Cruetz suggests a Downey departure could cost Marvel as much as 9 percent of its earnings in the near term. “It would be a definite negative for that particular franchise. "He is Tony Stark. The other individual franchises -- Thor, Captain America, Hulk -- etc., don’t have near the level of box-office potential that Iron Man does,” says Creutz. “The other way to look at it is that Iron Man would probably look more like those other franchises in terms of box-office performance without Downey.”

But Iron Man wouldn’t die if Downey left, nor would Avengers. Actors learned long ago that no one is irreplaceable. Batman and James Bond have been played by many men. Marvel has used three actors to play the Hulk (Eric Bana, Edward Norton and Mark Ruffalo). Terrence Howard was replaced by Don Cheadle after the first Iron Man, and sources say Marvel has used the threat of recasting in negotiations with such franchise players as Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Evans. For its upcoming Phase 2 adventure movie Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel cast low-cost Parks and Recreation actor Chris Pratt to star and hired low-budget filmmaker James Gunn (Slither) to direct.

Even as Phase 2 gets under way with Iron Man 3 and sequels to Thor and Captain America, Marvel is working on Phase 3. Ant-Man, a project to be directed Edgar Wright, has a release date of Nov. 6, 2015. Beyond that, the company is tight-lipped about its plans. Marvel has a writing program it uses as a concept generator and has scripts for Blade and Ms. Marvel features, for example. Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Black Panther and The Runaways are other projects on the horizon. The company slowly has been reacquiring licenses to characters it lost during the 1990s, snapping up Blade, Ghost Rider, Power Man and Daredevil in the past year alone.

Still, a Phase 3 without Iron Man 4 might be a risk Marvel and Disney would rather not take. And Downey, who reinvented himself with the character after years of personal struggles, seems game for the challenge of being a 50-year-old superhero. “I don’t know,” he said April 30 on The Daily Show, adding with a wink, “I had a long contract with them, and now we’re gonna renegotiate.”

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:13 pm 
A Return To Form

In the superhero world, anybody's replaceable, but Downey's certainly the least replaceable. He has mountains of cash after these four movies alone; I'm thinking he could probably stand to negotiate down for the good of the franchise (and maybe a raise for the rest of the cast).

Which is not to say that Marvel shouldn't buck up and just pay him whatever. He's the spark that started this whole thing for them.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

griffinxi wrote:
In the superhero world, anybody's replaceable, but Downey's certainly the least replaceable. He has mountains of cash after these four movies alone; I'm thinking he could probably stand to negotiate down for the good of the franchise (and maybe a raise for the rest of the cast).

Which is not to say that Marvel shouldn't buck up and just pay him whatever. He's the spark that started this whole thing for them.

he is, but what if captain america came out first? or ang lee's hulk took the approach

as a wee lad back in the 80s, i would have said this guy right here was the epitome of tony stark....

eric braeden from the young and the restless

they also said jack nicholson couldnt be replaced as the joker

you also couldnt replace becky from rosanne

or aunt viv

or major charles winchester

or darren stevens...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm pretty sure no one said that about at least half your list.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:37 am 
AnalLog

Thats insane how much Downey was paid... and, also insane, if he thinks its HIM who was bringing in all the money... pretty sure it was the fact that it was the Avengers, something fans have been waiting for, and as long as the actor could act, the movies were going to be profitable.

Be interesting to see a comparison with the X-men cast's paychecks... considering the big name actors that are currently filming Days of Futures Past (Ian, Patrick, Hugh, Halle, McAvoy, Fassenbender, and Jennifer Lawrence) from what those actors are saying, they all jumped at the chance to come back to the franchise with Singer at the helm.

Youd think considering the situation and the money Avengers pulled in, and Iron Man 3, Downey would say "okay guys, ive made enough, give the other guys some, lets make this franchise something special"

and then use that extra money to get Hugh to come over and make a cameo SNiKT!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:40 am 
jeeeesus relax already

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Thats insane how much Downey was paid... and, also insane, if he thinks its HIM who was bringing in all the money... pretty sure it was the fact that it was the Avengers, something fans have been waiting for, and as long as the actor could act, the movies were going to be profitable.

Be interesting to see a comparison with the X-men cast's paychecks... considering the big name actors that are currently filming Days of Futures Past (Ian, Patrick, Hugh, Halle, McAvoy, Fassenbender, and Jennifer Lawrence) from what those actors are saying, they all jumped at the chance to come back to the franchise with Singer at the helm.

Youd think considering the situation and the money Avengers pulled in, and Iron Man 3, Downey would say "okay guys, ive made enough, give the other guys some, lets make this franchise something special"

i would say...maybe 60% or 70% of the avengers success was because of Downey Jr. And for Iron Man 3 i would say its 90%...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:29 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Kevin Smith talks about "Iron Man 3" for 12 minutes:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:16 am 
Rank This Poster

im bummed they didnt introduce pym yet..

mainly bec i want ultron as the avengers 3 villain

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:

i would say...maybe 60% or 70% of the avengers success was because of Downey Jr. And for Iron Man 3 i would say its 90%...

Iron Man, yes, the Avengers, NO
there was a lot of people who came out to see the Avengers who did not see Iron Man 1/2
they came out to see the Avengers. The old time comic book fans who finally got to see the Avengers, and, because of the Avengers, those people saw Downey as Iron Man, and came out for Iron Man 3 giving it its boost... If it wasnt for the Avengers success, IM3 would not be making this kind of money.

but the Batman movies have proved, the CHARACTER is the draw, as long as the actor is not a total hack, and the writing is good, the franchise will go on. AND in the case of the Avengers... so Downey wants 50 mil? tell him to take a hike, cut the Stark scenes, stick any actor in the suit who just has to spout off a bunch of robotic scientific mumbo jumbo, and let Cap, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther, Miss Marvel, Ant Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch / Quicksilver (both of whom Whedon is teasing for Avengers 2 even though theyd have to work around them being Mutants and owned by Fox)

so clearly, the Avengers can go on without the billionaire playboy actor, and replace him... pretty much like they do in the comics :peace:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:09 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The first Iron Man film built the foundations for the entire Marvel cinematic universe, in terms of tone and approach. Favreau has been clear about how much Downey's performance and comedic timing informed the entire film. Downey's replacement would be catastrophic for this franchise.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:19 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

theplatypus wrote:
The first Iron Man film built the foundations for the entire Marvel cinematic universe, in terms of tone and approach. Favreau has been clear about how much Downey's performance and comedic timing informed the entire film. Downey's replacement would be catastrophic for this franchise.

catastrophic? not sure that bad and while he is now associated with the character if i was going to pick one thing that didnt seem right to me as opposed to the comic character this is based on is the comedy side of things.

stark is not nearly as comical in the books as they made him appear to be

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:21 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

True enough, but most of the world doesn't read comic books. To the general public, Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man, and replacing him would be a terrible idea. Like that article states: "Despite success launching stand-alone franchises in Thor and Captain America, the fact is the Marvel movies in which Downey appears perform far better than those in which he doesn’t. Iron Man 2, for instance, outgrossed Thor by 39 percent and Captain America by 69 percent worldwide. "

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm 
RM Elitist

Im a lot easier to please than most when it comes to these types of movies, and even I acknowledge at this point that there can not be a replacement for Downey in the current Avengers universe. Downey IS Iron Man, and frankly, Iron Man is the Avengers franchise. He took what was a B comic book hero to the vast majority of society (with the A's being Batman, Superman, Spiderman, and the Xmen) and probably put him in the 2 or 3 slot. Without Downey, Iron Man would lose its strongest element- a guy that in some respects we should hate, but love pretty much based entirely on the charisma of Downey.

The light hearted snark of the Avengers is what has separated it from the rest of the comic book universe, but there becomes a fine line between camp and funny if you dont have the right people filling the roles. Evans, Hemsworth, and the rest are fine doing what they do, but none of them are going to be able to do anything near the level of Downey in keeping the balance between Fun and Action.

Having said all of that, I have no doubt in my mind that all the discussion about this is nothing more than contract negotiations.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:

Iron Man, yes, the Avengers, NO
there was a lot of people who came out to see the Avengers who did not see Iron Man 1/2
they came out to see the Avengers. The old time comic book fans who finally got to see the Avengers, and, because of the Avengers, those people saw Downey as Iron Man, and came out for Iron Man 3 giving it its boost... If it wasnt for the Avengers success, IM3 would not be making this kind of money.

but the Batman movies have proved, the CHARACTER is the draw, as long as the actor is not a total hack, and the writing is good, the franchise will go on. AND in the case of the Avengers... so Downey wants 50 mil? tell him to take a hike, cut the Stark scenes, stick any actor in the suit who just has to spout off a bunch of robotic scientific mumbo jumbo, and let Cap, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther, Miss Marvel, Ant Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch / Quicksilver (both of whom Whedon is teasing for Avengers 2 even though theyd have to work around them being Mutants and owned by Fox)

so clearly, the Avengers can go on without the billionaire playboy actor, and replace him... pretty much like they do in the comics :peace:

Maybe they didnt went there looking just for Iron Man but the movie was around Downey Jr. And the fact that they chose to see Iron Man 3 and got these numbers...well that all Downey Jr to me.
Im not saying they cant replace him, but so far i would say he is one of the main reasons of their success.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:44 am 
slower than 82% of US

team platypus

Spoiler: show
the Pepper "dying" scene lost almost all its effect for me knowing that she was being treated with the super soldier serum whose name is escaping me at the time

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:41 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Mecca wrote:
team platypus

the Pepper "dying" scene lost almost all its effect for me knowing that she was being treated with the super soldier serum whose name is escaping me at the time

Did I miss something? She survived because she had extremis

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:44 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Peeps wrote:
Mecca wrote:
team platypus

Did I miss something? She survived because she had extremis

which makes it a pretty lame death scene when everyone knows she can't be dead.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:28 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

i would hope people were smart enough to realize she wasnt dead nor could she die

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment