The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: TV: Arrested Development
PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 7:51 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

old thread here:

http://archive.theskyiscrape.com/viewto ... 947a57cb93

Post subject: Re: TV: Arrested Development
PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 8:51 pm 
RM Elitist

Television Blend wrote:
What better way to close out 2012 than with word of the premiere date for the fourth season of Arrested Development? Netflix's planned return of the Bluth family for another season is one of many reasons to look forward to 2013, but until now, we didn't have any idea exactly when we should expect Season 4 to arrive on Netflix. It's looking like May 4 will be the series' return date. That's a Saturday, which might be an odd day for a TV premiere date under normal circumstances, but those planning to binge-watch the entire fourth season in one sitting will likely appreciate the weekend debut.

We knew already that Netflix planned to drop the entire fourth season on subscribers of the streaming video service all at once at some point during 2013. Via Zap2It, Oh No They Didn't managed to secure the details of the comedy's return, which they obtained off the Fox Fast site before it was eventually removed. Not only did the page list May 4, 2013 as the air date for all of the listed episodes, but they also had the episode titles included. They are as follows:

"Michael 1"
"Michael 2"
"George 1"
"George 2"
"Lindsay 1"
"Lindsay 2"
"Tobias"
"Gob"
"Maeby"
"Lucille"
"Buster"
"George Michael 1"
"George Michael 2"
"Gob 2"

That's a total of fourteen episodes, unless we count the two-parters as 1, which gives us the originally expected total of ten (since it looks like Gob's episodes are split). While it looks like all of the Bluths will be getting their own titled episode, it seems a few characters are getting twice as much attention (in title, anyway). Though I expect we'll see plenty of all of the members of this hilarious and beloved dysfunctional family when the show returns at long last, this Spring.

According to Zap2It, that May 4 release date applies to Netflix subscribers in the U.S., U.K. and Canada. Other territories have yet to be confirmed.

*May 4th date has since been stated as inaccurate

PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 9:17 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I was really hoping for an Annyeong episode.

PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 9:26 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Oscar?

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 5:49 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

My wife and I would like to thank you for having us over to your dinner party.

Last edited by The Argonaut on Wed June 26, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am 
jeeeesus relax already

The Argonaut wrote:
All of the episodes will be released at once?

yeah, i really can´t wait for this.

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 12:41 pm 
RM Elitist

The Argonaut wrote:

That's the most rumored plan. I am really not sure how to approach this. We've been waiting, what, 7 years for this.. do I really want to blow it all in one day? But knowing that everyone else has seen all of them will drive me crazy too. Im thinking I may do 2 episodes a night for a week.

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 1:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I looked at three articles about this yesterday, and in each one someone had logged into the comments section as Tom Jayne and written "I just want my kids back."

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 1:31 pm 
RM Elitist

McParadigm wrote:
I looked at three articles about this yesterday, and in each one someone had logged into the comments section as Tom Jayne and written "I just want my kids back."

You know, I kinda love everything about the internet sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 5:46 pm 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

That's the most rumored plan. I am really not sure how to approach this. We've been waiting, what, 7 years for this.. do I really want to blow it all in one day? But knowing that everyone else has seen all of them will drive me crazy too. Im thinking I may do 2 episodes a night for a week.

When I was first going through the series I watched the first two seasons multiple times before viewing the third, just because I didn't want it to end. This time, I feel like i'm going to want to binge.

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 11:09 pm 
Future Drummer

are these eps going to be linear or can we mix and match how we watch them? if so, i kind of like the idea that we all might have different viewing experiences.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 2:38 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Over the past week or so, my girlfriend has become fond of saying (apropos of nothing): "Solid as a rock!"

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 12:21 am 
Future Drummer

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tessastuart/sec ... -developme

Quote:

"We shouldn't be here," Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz said on Wednesday afternoon, flanked on stage by stars Will Arnett, Jessica Walter, Jeffrey Tambor, Jason Bateman, Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour.

Arrested Development was perhaps the ultimate example of a show cancelled too soon, brutally ripped away from a legion of devoted fans while still in its infancy, just three short seasons after its premiere on Fox in November 2003. Against all odds, the cast has reunited to produce a slate of new episodes.

Hurwitz said that making the show's 14 new episodes, which will premiere on Netflix in May, almost felt like writing fan fiction for the show — and in fact, he said, "There were some fan fiction things that would scoop us."

And Bateman clarified: "It is not season 4." But making the episodes for Netflix, allowed the the show's creators to make them more complex, Bateman said, partly because they'll be free from the distractions of commercials.

Though there is definitely an order to the episodes, in order to create the maximum number of surprises, the new episodes will be made available all at once, Hurwitz said. Still, fans don't necessarily have to do watch it in that order. They can think of it like an album, Hurwitz said — "almost a choose-your-own-adventure kind of thing."

Cera — who played George-Michael Bluth, the son of Bateman's character Michael Bluth — was in the writers' room for much of the season, coming in at first to help with the episode based from his character's point of view, and he ended up just sticking around.

He wasn't the only one who stopped by the writers' room. Walter, who played family matriarch Lucille Bluth, said it was the first place she wanted to go when she landed back in L.A., because she wanted to congratulate them on the new episodes. "Name one writer!" an incredulous Arnett challenged.

"It's different than the original Arrested Development and beyond anything I had hoped," Walter continued, unruffled.

In a new twist, each episode is presented from the point of view of a different character, so each character gets to be "king" for one episode. That decision, said Horowitz, was motivated by the fact that they couldn't afford to have all of the characters together in every episode.

The episodes are still in post-production, and the TCA panel ended with a clip from the new episodes, one of which Hurwitz said was an outtake. Here's that scene: Lucille is sitting in the living room, smoking a cigarette. Every time she exhales, she blows the smoke directly into her son Buster's (Tony Hale) mouth. He captures it and hurries to the french doors, and blows it outside. The cycle repeats four or five times, until Lucille can't bear it any longer and bursts out laughing.

But, Hurwitz added, if the audience at TCA liked the clip enough, he'd add it into an episode. Or maybe it could make it into an Arrested Development movie — the possibilities of which have been rumored for years. Tantalizingly, at TCA, Hurwitz would not confirm the movie — but he didn't deny it, either.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 12:24 am 
Future Drummer

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/01/so-abo ... t-reunion/

Quote:
“Mitch Hurwitz is a bastard. He doesn’t even know that Arrested Development season four should look EXACTLY the same way as seasons one-three did. What’s that, Hurwitz? You want to try something different, stretch your creative muscles like on the oh-so-successful Running Wilde? Well, that’s a huge…blunder. I bet you expected me to say ‘mistake.’ COME OFF,” is what I’m sure many an AD fan exclaimed this morning, after reading USA Today‘s article about Netflix. Because when the show returns in May, it’s not going to look the same.

Arrested is applying a new model, less because of its new home than competing demands for its stars, several of whom appear in other projects. “Contractually, we couldn’t use all the characters in every episode; they were not free to do as much television as they want,” Hurwitz says.

Each of 13 or 14 episodes (up from 10 originally planned) will focus on a single character, and only Michael Bluth (Jason Bateman), the level-headed son who holds the clan together, will appear in all of them. (Michael Cera, who plays son George Michael, is also now among the show’s writers.) (Via)

I’ll assume Hurwitz forgot about Franklin (racist), because Franklin should and will appear in every scene. But will the show look different?

“The show will look very different,” Hurwitz says, and is being assembled as a “very, very complex puzzle” from scenes shot out of sequence over many months…”We’re not jumping from one thing to another; you’re staying with one character,” while other cast members appear in smaller roles, and recurring characters played by Henry Winkler and Liza Minnelli, among others, will return.

“The bigger story is the family has fallen apart at the start of our show,” Hurwitz says. “They all went their own way, without Michael holding them together, so they’re left to their own devices, and they’re not the most successful devices.” The season is designed as a “first act to what we eventually want to do, which is a big movie,” though there’s no guarantee it will ever get made.

“Each individual (episode) kind of depicts what happens in 2006 as the Bluths fled from the law on the Queen Mary” in what was once the series’ finale, then explains what’s happened to them since and leaves them in the present day, he says. (Via)

Maybe Hurwitz and the other writers are going to Newsroom it and comment on cultural events that happened years ago? In the George Michael episode, they can mock Dennis Kucinich trying to impeach Dick Cheney, and for Lindsay’s, the unrelenting coverage of the balloon boy hoax. I think I speak for everyone when I say we want, nay, need to know Tobias’s thoughts on Larry Craig, if only to hear David Cross say “wide guy.”

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:28 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Waiting for this. Im just sitting here, looking at the sky, thinking about the good day when this is out.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:29 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
Waiting for this. Im just sitting here, looking at the sky, thinking about the good day when this is out.

I was going to rewatch the series (again) in anticipation. I got 5 or 6 episodes in, but then started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I need to pick AD back up.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 5:07 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

I started re-watching. I finished season 2 last night.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 5:10 pm 
The Master

Good ol' Franklin.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 5:42 pm 
Broken Tamborine

is this the right place to tell everyone i could watch videos of pelicans eating pigeons all day long?

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2013 3:52 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Fine! Jesus, you've talked me into it. I'll start watching it again. From the beginning. I'll give it a second chance, a fresh start.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment