The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184 ... 187  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6885
Location: I am taking care of some ducks
For myself:

Image

Image

_________________
a sweet boy with a friendly disposition and a good sense of humor


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
durdencommatyler wrote:
Really thinking about diving into this baby at some point this week...

Image

Finally finished this guy.

Not sure what's next.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6885
Location: I am taking care of some ducks
Image

_________________
a sweet boy with a friendly disposition and a good sense of humor


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
I want to read that series.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6885
Location: I am taking care of some ducks
I'm not sure yet if they're good books, they seem to be making some kind of claim about history but it's not clear what yet, but fuck they're fun to read.

_________________
a sweet boy with a friendly disposition and a good sense of humor


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Mickey wrote:
I'm not sure yet if they're good books, they seem to be making some kind of claim about history but it's not clear what yet, but fuck they're fun to read.

Maybe this is too much like the "best" vs "favorite" conversation but it's weird that something that is fun to read isn't also great. Not that something great has to be fun to read. But I feel like fun to read makes it great. It's like the whole square/rectangle thing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6885
Location: I am taking care of some ducks
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:
I'm not sure yet if they're good books, they seem to be making some kind of claim about history but it's not clear what yet, but fuck they're fun to read.

Maybe this is too much like the "best" vs "favorite" conversation but it's weird that something that is fun to read isn't also great. Not that something great has to be fun to read. But I feel like fun to read makes it great. It's like the whole square/rectangle thing.


I guess I mean I don't know if it's a capital-I important book. Put it this way: reading this before bed is often the highlight of my day, but I'm not sure yet it'd be worth writing an essay about.

_________________
a sweet boy with a friendly disposition and a good sense of humor


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6885
Location: I am taking care of some ducks
Though of course there are tons of essays to be written about Ferrante as a publishing phenomenon.

_________________
a sweet boy with a friendly disposition and a good sense of humor


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Mickey wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:
I'm not sure yet if they're good books, they seem to be making some kind of claim about history but it's not clear what yet, but fuck they're fun to read.

Maybe this is too much like the "best" vs "favorite" conversation but it's weird that something that is fun to read isn't also great. Not that something great has to be fun to read. But I feel like fun to read makes it great. It's like the whole square/rectangle thing.


I guess I mean I don't know if it's a capital-I important book. Put it this way: reading this before bed is often the highlight of my day, but I'm not sure yet it'd be worth writing an essay about.

:thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 11:12 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 3265
I bailed on this a few years back, giving it another shot.

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 11:49 am 
Online
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 18197
Location: Cumberland, RI
This is a re-read, although I think I first read it a full 10 years ago, so it seems like another lifetime. I let someone borrow my copy and they never gave it back--that'll teach me for being nice.

Image

Quote:
Ghosts is about a construction worker’s family squatting on a building site. They all see large and handsome ghosts around their quarters, but the teenage daughter is the most curious. Her questions about them become more and more heartfelt until the story reaches a critical, chilling moment when the mother realizes that her daughter’s life hangs in the balance.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13083
Location: Oslo, Norway
digster wrote:
I bailed on this a few years back, giving it another shot.

Image


Good luck :thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13083
Location: Oslo, Norway
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 3:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 1062
reread

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 4:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 13558
Location: here
Look at me reading RM again

_________________
Argo wrote:
Once when I was 7 or 8 my parents got in a fight at the library & told me they were going to get a divorce. I insisted on bringing this big stick home with us. They are still together & I have no idea where the stick is. Also I'm a librarian now


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6885
Location: I am taking care of some ducks
Malloy wrote:
reread

Image


:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

_________________
a sweet boy with a friendly disposition and a good sense of humor


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 2:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6885
Location: I am taking care of some ducks
Image

_________________
a sweet boy with a friendly disposition and a good sense of humor


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Starting this tomorrow:

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 42229
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
Anders wrote:
digster wrote:
I bailed on this a few years back, giving it another shot.

Image


Good luck :thumbsup:

I like Dune, but gave up on the other ones. I hear the fourth one is good.

_________________
verily, if life had no sense, and had I to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me also.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 42229
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
Gonna attempt Deleuze. Figure I should start with what I know. see this thread next year.

Image
Image

_________________
verily, if life had no sense, and had I to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me also.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184 ... 187  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun September 27, 2020 2:14 pm