Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: What are you currently reading?

Fri July 20, 2018 5:22 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:sounds great, will pick it up. thx.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm blown away, honestly. It's been a long time (if ever, really) since I've encountered something that's such a perfect balance between philosophy, poetry, and personal essay. Hopefully, you'll get something out of it, too.

Wed July 25, 2018 6:45 pm

When Women Were Birds is immaculate. I will carry the book with me for a long time. And I know I will gift a copy many, many times. This book is essential. God. Damn.

Thu July 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Gonna start Needful Things because the whole time I was watching the Castle Rock pilot last night, I just kept thinking... "man, I really need to read Needful Things."

Thu July 26, 2018 6:39 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:Before the Fall by Noah Hawley is also awesome. But it's over 400 pages...

I've been meaning to check out Noah's books. His tv show's are amazing. I'll have to check it out.

I just started The Expanse series. The first book is a wonderful, light read - especially for the SciFi genre. I'm supplementing the light reading with American Pastoral. I haven't read it in awhile and Roth's themes match up well with the times.

Thu July 26, 2018 8:11 pm

I had a fun idea. I want to throw a party when I read my 1000th book (probably around age 40-45). Not that 1000 is that amazing of a number of books for one to have read, but it is cool nonetheless. I'm going to try to get a copy of each of the books, put them up in bookshelves there, and let people take what they want

Thu July 26, 2018 8:15 pm

The Argonaut wrote:I had a fun idea. I want to throw a party when I read my 1000th book (probably around age 40-45). Not that 1000 is that amazing of a number of books for one to have read, but it is cool nonetheless. I'm going to try to get a copy of each of the books, put them up in bookshelves there, and let people take what they want

I like it.

Thu July 26, 2018 8:17 pm

no way you know exactly how many books you've read though

Thu July 26, 2018 8:23 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:no way you know exactly how many books you've read though

He's on the spectrum, though. He knows.

Thu July 26, 2018 8:31 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:no way you know exactly how many books you've read though

He's on the spectrum, though. He knows.

:lol:

Thu July 26, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm not on the spectrum, as a matter of fact. And I've been using Goodreads to track the books I read since 2009. For two years before that, I posted in the old board's incarnation of this thread about every book I read. When I started my Goodreads, I went back and input that info. So I have every book I've read going back to mid-2007 listed on my Goodreads. I'm at a little under 420 now. That's my entire adult life.

Thu July 26, 2018 10:20 pm

unless you started counting with Goodnight Moon, this is some very fuzzy math

Thu July 26, 2018 10:27 pm

How is that fuzzy math? 11 years, 420 books, that's less than 40 books a year

Thu July 26, 2018 10:30 pm

yes but surely you're much closer to 1000 if you include all books read throughout your life

Thu July 26, 2018 10:30 pm

IM JUST TRYING TO HELP YOUR BOOK COUNT ARGO

Thu July 26, 2018 10:36 pm

adult life

Sun July 29, 2018 3:41 am

Recommend some books on writing (anything).

Sun July 29, 2018 4:03 am

i miss reading

Sun July 29, 2018 4:11 am

BurtReynolds wrote:Recommend some books on writing (anything).

The Believer Book of Writers Talking to Writers
its sequel
Playwrights at Work by the Paris Review

Sun July 29, 2018 11:15 am

BurtReynolds wrote:Recommend some books on writing (anything).

Stephen King's On Writing is the best. Get that.

Also, "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott and the Hemingway On Writing books are good, too.

The Artist's Way is fantastic if you want homework and practical experience. It might be a bit too new agey for you though.

Sun July 29, 2018 11:30 am

durdencommatyler wrote:Gonna start Needful Things because the whole time I was watching the Castle Rock pilot last night, I just kept thinking... "man, I really need to read Needful Things."

That one is kinda way ahead of its time.

It’s an uncomfortable read but a good one.
Post a reply