Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: What are you currently reading?

Tue July 11, 2017 8:35 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:I'm already on book 4 of Harry Potter.

that one was overrated

I'm liking it.

It's the best one.

I spoke a little too soon. I have complaints.

goddamnit

Well, it's still the best one.

Thu July 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Guys, "Before the Fall" is a great read. That Noah Hawley guy kinda knows how to write.

Thu July 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Reading this at the moment

First of the Jack Reacher novels I've read and thankfully I don't see Tommy Cruiser in my head while reading it

Tue July 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Excellent so far.

Tue July 18, 2017 9:56 pm

:thumbsup:

I loved The Elegant Universe and The Hidden Reality, but haven't read that one yet.

Mon July 24, 2017 1:26 am

Reading the first book by Patrick deWitt (Sisters Brothers, Undermajordomo Minor) and this shit is bleak. I mean like I can only read about 4-5 pages at a time before I just need to take a break. Holy crap. It's like he was purging everything bad so he could write those other two books.

Mon July 24, 2017 9:16 pm

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/hem ... nt-of-view

Tue July 25, 2017 2:40 pm

basic gist: a man is sent to the moon to covertly root out a potential spy leaking information to the federation, a conglomerate of human populated non-earth planets, as political tensions between earth and the federation rise.

i've been picking up old printings of arthur c. clarke books and slowly working my way through them. this book was a fairly easy read, with the plot acting more as the background for clarke to place his visions of moon life and activity on. it's not a must-read by any means, but worth the few hours of time if you're in to clarke/old sci-fi.

Tue July 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Started this today.

Tue July 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Almost finished.

Fri July 28, 2017 2:38 am

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/20- ... ou-rathers

Fri July 28, 2017 2:45 am

Simple Torture wrote:https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/20-literary-would-you-rathers

20. Would You Rather actually admit you enjoyed Infinite Jest or carry the book around with you out in public everywhere you go for one thousand days?

I bought this in paperback the other day and I felt like a boss walking to my car.

Fri July 28, 2017 11:24 pm

I enjoyed this novella, but I wish King had taken the time to write a full novel. It takes long jumps in Gwendy's life, a year at a time, then even longer. King's normal style would have been to get deep into that. There were two characters who fell apart, and it would have been cool for King to follow that destruction.

Sat July 29, 2017 3:32 am

Little, Big

Sat July 29, 2017 4:14 am

B wrote:Image

I enjoyed this novella, but I wish King had taken the time to write a full novel. It takes long jumps in Gwendy's life, a year at a time, then even longer. King's normal style would have been to get deep into that. There were two characters who fell apart, and it would have been cool for King to follow that destruction.

Please tell me more. How many pages? What's the overall breakdown of feeling that is % King / % Chizmar? I am a diehard King fan, but go through his stuff in spurts...

Sun July 30, 2017 8:48 pm

Hold Still by Sally Mann is just outstanding. I need to read more non-fiction.

Fri August 11, 2017 4:45 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
B wrote:Image

Please tell me more. How many pages? What's the overall breakdown of feeling that is % King / % Chizmar? I am a diehard King fan, but go through his stuff in spurts...

175 page. I'd say 40% King.

Fri August 11, 2017 7:15 pm

Catching the Big Fish by David Lynch is amazing. I might start carrying it around with me all the time, everywhere I go. Treat like my Bible.

Fri August 11, 2017 8:21 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:Catching the Big Fish by David Lynch is amazing. I might start carrying it around with me all the time, everywhere I go. Treat like my Bible.

Great, right? You can just pick it up and put it down whenever. Illuminating read.

Fri August 11, 2017 8:44 pm

washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:Catching the Big Fish by David Lynch is amazing. I might start carrying it around with me all the time, everywhere I go. Treat like my Bible.

Great, right? You can just pick it up and put it down whenever. Illuminating read.

Exactly. It's so great. Insightful and inspiring.
Post a reply