The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 281  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 11:22 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
On The Road.

Starting tomorrow.

Its been so long since i last read that one!! its pure bliss.

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2013 8:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Started this today. Liking it so far. Sure wish I'd picked it up a decade or so ago, however.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 10:52 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

durdencommatyler wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
Tell me which to get:

:thumbsup:

I decided to go with the Goffman book, since I'm still reading through Layden's Blood, Sweat, and Chalk and don't want to get involved with two football books at once, especially in season. But I'm sure I'll read Smart Football before too long.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 3:28 am 

This excellent short post on Google's evolution, with a some nice Robert Frost lines at the end.

Quote:

In its highest form, a search has no well-defined object. It’s open-ended, an act of exploration that takes us out into the world, beyond the self, in order to know the world, and the self, more fully.

Google searches have always been more cut and dried, keyed as they are to particular words or phrases. But in its original conception, the Google search engine did transport us into a messy and confusing world—the world of the web—with the intent of helping us make some sense of it. It pushed us outward, away from ourselves. It was a means of exploration. That’s much less the case now. Google’s conception of searching has changed markedly since those early days, and that means our own idea of what it means to search is changing as well.

Google’s goal is no longer to read the web. It’s to read us.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 4:00 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

"Kindred" by Octavia Butler. It's about slavery and time travel--oh my!

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 4:01 am 

Finished Keynes' General Theory. Some comments soon.

Still working on Gibson's Idoru.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 4:32 am 

Also dipping into this, from the library:

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 1:20 am 
Future Drummer

Simple Torture wrote:

This is one of my brother's girlfriend's absolute favorite books, she's always trying to get me to read it.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 1:41 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Orpheus wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

This is one of my brother's girlfriend's absolute favorite books, she's always trying to get me to read it.

It was pretty good!

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 2:03 am 
Looks Like a Cat

This Neil Young memoir is such a fun break from fiction, mostly because it sort of ends up feeling like fiction when you read for long stretches.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 7:34 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Lynne Tillman - "Haunted Houses"

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 7:40 pm 
The Master

Me and the devil

An aging New Yorker, a writer named Nick, feels life ebbing out of him. The world has gone to hell and Nick is so sick of it all that he can't even have a glass of champagne. Then one night he meets a tantalizing young woman who agrees to come back to his apartment. Their encounter is the most strangely extraordinary of his life. Propelled by uncontrollable, primordial desires, he enters a new and unimagined dimension of the forbidden and is filled with a sexual and spiritual ecstasy that is as intense as it is unholy.

Suddenly Nick's senses are alive. He feels strong, unconquerable , beyond all inhibition and earthly morality. He indulges in life's pleasures, pure and perverse, sublime and dangerous, from the delicate flavors of the perfect tomato to the fleshy beauty of a woman's thigh. But Nick's desire to sustain his rapture leads him to a madness and a darkness far greater and dreadful than have ever ridden the demon mares of night.

Writing in a lineage that includes Dante, William S. Burroughs, Charles Bukowski, Hubert Selby, Jr., and Hunter S. Thompson, Nick Tosches may be America's last real literary outlaw-a fearless, uncensorable seeker of our deepest secret truths and desires, from the basest to the most beautiful. Me and the Devil is outrageous, disturbing, and brilliant, a raw and blazing novel truly unlike any other. Like the man said: Read him at your peril.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 8:18 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
Me and the devil

An aging New Yorker, a writer named Nick, feels life ebbing out of him. The world has gone to hell and Nick is so sick of it all that he can't even have a glass of champagne. Then one night he meets a tantalizing young woman who agrees to come back to his apartment. Their encounter is the most strangely extraordinary of his life. Propelled by uncontrollable, primordial desires, he enters a new and unimagined dimension of the forbidden and is filled with a sexual and spiritual ecstasy that is as intense as it is unholy.

Suddenly Nick's senses are alive. He feels strong, unconquerable , beyond all inhibition and earthly morality. He indulges in life's pleasures, pure and perverse, sublime and dangerous, from the delicate flavors of the perfect tomato to the fleshy beauty of a woman's thigh. But Nick's desire to sustain his rapture leads him to a madness and a darkness far greater and dreadful than have ever ridden the demon mares of night.

Writing in a lineage that includes Dante, William S. Burroughs, Charles Bukowski, Hubert Selby, Jr., and Hunter S. Thompson, Nick Tosches may be America's last real literary outlaw-a fearless, uncensorable seeker of our deepest secret truths and desires, from the basest to the most beautiful. Me and the Devil is outrageous, disturbing, and brilliant, a raw and blazing novel truly unlike any other. Like the man said: Read him at your peril.

Go on...

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 8:19 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
Me and the devil

Go on...

I just started. I needed a big change from the previous books. This should be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 8:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Sounds like it. Keep me posted.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 9:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

http://www.jimdero.com/Bangs/Bangs%20Pitts.htm

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 9:25 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Strat wrote:
Me and the devil

I just read an Esquire interview with Nick Tosches. Seems like a really cool guy. And, now I want to read this book to. Enjoying it so far?

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2013 7:03 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Ken Kalfus - Thirst

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2013 9:53 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I feel like I've tried to pimp Kalfus in this thread before, but I'm certainly willing to try again: pick this guy up! Good stuff, good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun January 20, 2013 7:33 am 

Re-reading this, and still thinking through The General Theory:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 281  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment