The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 282  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri December 30, 2016 9:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Please and thank you.

PostPosted: Fri December 30, 2016 9:50 pm 
The Master

need to read the last in the dunk and egg tales, then not sure what i'd like to move on to next

PostPosted: Fri December 30, 2016 10:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

ST will email you an ebook version of 2666 if you want.

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 12:59 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
ST will email you an ebook version of 2666 if you want.

not sure i will commit to something of it's length right now

PostPosted: Sun January 01, 2017 11:41 pm 
The Master

PostPosted: Mon January 02, 2017 12:12 am 
AnalLog

My wife's been out of town the last few days, so I took a break from American Gods and read through The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. Not bad, but kind of underdeveloped.

PostPosted: Mon January 02, 2017 10:48 pm 
Broken Tamborine

My Christmas gifts:

PostPosted: Tue January 03, 2017 3:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Tue January 03, 2017 3:58 pm 
Posting (live)

Meh

PostPosted: Sun January 08, 2017 8:45 pm 
Posting (live)

Short story is this young guy was a really good cricketer, a child prodigy. He was struck by cricket ball and died at 25. Spoiler alert not necessary. This is a happy and sad read that's affecting me more than I thought it would.

PostPosted: Sun January 08, 2017 8:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sun January 08, 2017 9:23 pm 
Posting (live)

These happened last week too.

I'd read this before and it's quite enjoyable (if you liked High Fidelity this should be considered but where Hi Fi is Corduroy, this would be Whipping. Good but not essential.

And I finally finished this although I started it again. Not sure if it's total wank or just moments of indulgence. Some parts resonated really well with me while others seemed to meander with self indulgence. It's no Vernon God Little (which may be my favourite read ever). Joe, have you read VGL?

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 8:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Quote:
Flora 717 is not like other bees. As a sanitation worker, she is a member of the lowest caste in an orchard hive where hard work, sacrifice, and worship of the Queen are greatly valued. But unexpected circumstances lead her to the Queen’s inner sanctum, where she makes a shocking discovery that will change the way she sees the hive forever.
Well, i know what I'm reading next!

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 8:48 pm 
Posting (live)

Anyone else read any DBC Pierre?

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 4:29 am 
Posting (live)

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 5:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I need some help with poetry. Specifically, Bukowski. I picked up "You Get So Alone at Times That it Just Makes Sense" and I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be getting from this. I'm trying to not read it like a book, but I think a lot of it's inflection. For example, I tried reading Shakespeare and couldn't get into the story because I was trying too hard to understand what was going on. But then I watched some of The Hollow Crown and it all made sense, somehow. So maybe I need an audiobook of poetry instead of trying to just read it.

One or two really spoke to me, but I'm about 25% of the way through the book so that's not good, I think?

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 5:47 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

bune wrote:
I need some help with poetry. Specifically, Bukowski. I picked up "You Get So Alone at Times That it Just Makes Sense" and I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be getting from this. I'm trying to not read it like a book, but I think a lot of it's inflection. For example, I tried reading Shakespeare and couldn't get into the story because I was trying too hard to understand what was going on. But then I watched some of The Hollow Crown and it all made sense, somehow. So maybe I need an audiobook of poetry instead of trying to just read it.

One or two really spoke to me, but I'm about 25% of the way through the book so that's not good, I think?

I don't read a ton of poetry, but I did study a lot of poetry and drama. Just a couple of things that help me:

1. Poetry does rely on the spoken word a lot due to the importance of rhyme, meter, and sound. If you haven't been a big poetry reader before, I think it could help to listen to people read poems in order to get yourself acclimated to it as a genre. A couple of options: with contemporary poets, I'd search YouTube and see if there are recordings of their readings--you can read along and see how their voices move through the poems, and once you get a sense of their flow, you'll be able to read their other work with more ease, I think. With something older, like Shakespeare, I'd advise the same thing, just try to find a very faithful reproduction and read along to get a sense of how things move. I think people actually make the mistake of reading Shakespeare too slowly--it's meant to be fast and snippy (except for long, dramatic monologues), not slow and plodding.

2. Try to get out into the real world and hear poetry! If there's a college or a half-decent bookstore near you, they probably do poetry readings every once in a while. Now, there are probably open-mic nights and those could work, but I'm really talking about published authors on book tours discussing their work, or poets invited to speak at schools. Even if they're not poets you're reading (and it might even be better if they're not), you'll get a myriad of voices and begin to understand the variety of ways in which poetry can be read and heard. This will help, I think, when you encounter new poets and are trying to get a sense of what they're all about.

3. Just like with any other genre of writing: don't get caught up in "having" to like something--if you're not connecting with a certain poet or poem, then fuck it! Go read something else. It'll be more fun that way.

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 6:04 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

BTW here are some great poems:

https://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/char ... brary.html

http://www.vqronline.org/silken-tent

https://www.thenation.com/article/godzilla-mexico/

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems- ... tail/43997

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems- ... tail/47311

http://english.emory.edu/classes/painti ... auden.html

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 7:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:
bune wrote:

I don't read a ton of poetry, but I did study a lot of poetry and drama. Just a couple of things that help me:

1. Poetry does rely on the spoken word a lot due to the importance of rhyme, meter, and sound. If you haven't been a big poetry reader before, I think it could help to listen to people read poems in order to get yourself acclimated to it as a genre. A couple of options: with contemporary poets, I'd search YouTube and see if there are recordings of their readings--you can read along and see how their voices move through the poems, and once you get a sense of their flow, you'll be able to read their other work with more ease, I think. With something older, like Shakespeare, I'd advise the same thing, just try to find a very faithful reproduction and read along to get a sense of how things move. I think people actually make the mistake of reading Shakespeare too slowly--it's meant to be fast and snippy (except for long, dramatic monologues), not slow and plodding.

2. Try to get out into the real world and hear poetry! If there's a college or a half-decent bookstore near you, they probably do poetry readings every once in a while. Now, there are probably open-mic nights and those could work, but I'm really talking about published authors on book tours discussing their work, or poets invited to speak at schools. Even if they're not poets you're reading (and it might even be better if they're not), you'll get a myriad of voices and begin to understand the variety of ways in which poetry can be read and heard. This will help, I think, when you encounter new poets and are trying to get a sense of what they're all about.

3. Just like with any other genre of writing: don't get caught up in "having" to like something--if you're not connecting with a certain poet or poem, then fuck it! Go read something else. It'll be more fun that way.
That's good advice, but also difficult because it's hard to tell if I'm not liking it because I don't know wtf I'm doing or if it's not a good poem.

Thanks for the links/ideas though.

PostPosted: Thu January 19, 2017 2:29 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

It's young adult, but I like how the story is set up so far. Some boy gets his mind switched with a version of himself in another dimension.

It was immediately followed up with another novel that follows the kid who got switched from the new universe back to the kid's original universe. Does that make sense?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 282  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment