The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 282  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 12:48 am 
Major Dude

epilogue wrote:
Discussions in another thread have me curious about the novel L.A. Confidential. I see that it's part of the "L.A. Quartet." Does that mean I should read them in order? How much do they depend on each other? Can I just read LAC (the 3rd of the quartet) without the others?

Looks like they’re for the most part sequential. And there was a book before the Quartet that introduced a lot of the characters and now there’s two books in the second quartet already released.

Thanks Joe. You’ve pretty much kicked off my 2022 reading list!

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 1:35 am 
Posting (live)

Keef - Life

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 6:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Discussions in another thread have me curious about the novel L.A. Confidential. I see that it's part of the "L.A. Quartet." Does that mean I should read them in order? How much do they depend on each other? Can I just read LAC (the 3rd of the quartet) without the others?

Looks like they’re for the most part sequential. And there was a book before the Quartet that introduced a lot of the characters and now there’s two books in the second quartet already released.

happy to help!

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 6:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:

Reading up on this a bit, it seems like the book that "introduces" some of the characters comes chronologically after some of the L.A. Quartet? Seems like the characters reference The Black Dahlia case? Maybe I'm reading that wrong. I'm trying not to read too many spoilers.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 8:14 pm 
Major Dude

epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:

Reading up on this a bit, it seems like the book that "introduces" some of the characters comes chronologically after some of the L.A. Quartet? Seems like the characters reference The Black Dahlia case? Maybe I'm reading that wrong. I'm trying not to read too many spoilers.

I looked into it more, as well and there also seems to be a trilogy called Underworld USA by him. And all this is tied together in the Second LA Quartet which he’s doing right now. The first two books in this are already out. I’m definitely going to be going after these and getting started on them. If Elmore Leonard says they’re good, what more do we need?

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 8:19 pm 
Posting (live)

I read The Big Nowhere earlier this year. Stands up by itself. It's the only Ellroy I've read.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 9:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 2:01 am 
10Club Complaint Department

hey all, gonna crowdsource this.

are there any fans of short story/essay collections, and if so, what are some you'd recommend that came out in 2020/21?

thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 2:17 am 
Future Drummer

why those years?

what are some short fiction collections that you’ve liked?

i haven’t kept up with new short fiction in a decade, so i don’t really know. but, THE COMPLETE GARY LUTZ came out in 2019, which for our purposes is near enough to your period, and he’s one of my favorite writers

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 2:23 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Noble House by James Clavell

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 2:28 am 

Malloy wrote:
why those years?

what are some short fiction collections that you’ve liked?

i haven’t kept up with new short fiction in a decade, so i don’t really know. but, THE COMPLETE GARY LUTZ came out in 2019, which for our purposes is near enough to your period, and he’s one of my favorite writers

just looking for some modern-day collections. i like Wells Tower's Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned, How to Pronounce Knife by Souvankham Thammavongsa, and Homesick for Another World by Ottessa Moshfegh to name a few.

i guess they could be older collections too.

I'll check out Lutz. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 2:43 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

dad wrote:

are there any fans of short story/essay collections, and if so, what are some you'd recommend that came out in 2020/21?

thanks in advance.

Two suggestions:

I really enjoyed "Orange World and Other Stories" by Karen Russell; if you've heard of one of her books before, it was probably "Swamplandia!" which I also liked. Traditional short stories, always a little odd, fun stuff.

Another that's not really a short story collection per se is "Because She Never Asked" by Enrique Vila-Matas, but it does open with a short story, which is followed by a short story about writing the short story, which is then followed by another story about writing the story about writing the first story. Sort of. These layers continue to shift and it's tough to keep track of them. I liked it a lot, and it's a nice intro to Vila-Matas if you've never read him.

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 2:44 pm 

Simple Torture wrote:
dad wrote:

thanks in advance.

Two suggestions:

I really enjoyed "Orange World and Other Stories" by Karen Russell; if you've heard of one of her books before, it was probably "Swamplandia!" which I also liked. Traditional short stories, always a little odd, fun stuff.

Another that's not really a short story collection per se is "Because She Never Asked" by Enrique Vila-Matas, but it does open with a short story, which is followed by a short story about writing the short story, which is then followed by another story about writing the story about writing the first story. Sort of. These layers continue to shift and it's tough to keep track of them. I liked it a lot, and it's a nice intro to Vila-Matas if you've never read him.

added to my list to check out. thanks!

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 3:44 pm 
Future Drummer

Simple Torture wrote:
dad wrote:

thanks in advance.

Two suggestions:

i wonder if "Vampire in the Lemon Grove" still holds up. i remember loving that story when it was published.

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 8:26 pm 
Future Drummer

Cloud Cuckoo Land - Anthony Doerr

PostPosted: Thu December 02, 2021 4:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

blueviper wrote:
Cloud Cuckoo Land - Anthony Doerr

That's on my list, too. My good friend absolutely loved it.

PostPosted: Fri December 03, 2021 6:30 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:
Quote:
It is the condition in which one is the least capable of being just; narrow-minded, ungrateful to the past, blind to dangers, deaf to warnings, one is a little vortex of life in a dead sea of darkness and oblivion: and yet this condition — unhistorical, anti-historical through and through — is the womb not only of the unjust but of every just deed too; and no painter will paint his picture, no general achieve his victory, no people attain its freedom without having first desired and striven for it in an unhis­torical condition such as that described. As he who acts is, in Goethe’s words, always without a conscience, so is he also always without knowledge; he forgets most things so as to do one thing, he is unjust towards what lies behind him, and he recognizes the rights only of that which is now to come into being and no other rights whatever. Thus he who acts loves his deed infinitely more than it deserves to be loved: and the finest deeds take place in such a superabundance of love that, even if their worth were incalculable in other respects, they must still be unworthy of this love.

Quote:
If, on the other hand, you acquire a living knowledge of the history of great men, you will learn from it a supreme commandment: to become mature and to flee from that paralyzing upbringing of the present age which sees its advantage in preventing your growth so as to rule and exploit you to the full while you are still immature. And if you want biographies, do not desire those which bear the legend ‘So-and-So and his age’, but those upon whose title-page there would stand ‘a fighter against his age’. Satiate your soul with Plutarch and when you believe in his heroes dare at the same time to believe in yourself. With a hundred such men — raised in this unmodern way, that is to say, become mature and accustomed to the heroic — the whole noisy sham-culture of our age could now be silenced forever.

Quote:
Objectivity sucks!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 4:18 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 5:53 pm 
AnalLog

DK was my boy in high school. Haven't read anything by him in 25 years, but this was $2 and I've been in a reading rut, so here we go.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 6:25 pm 
Production Police

Simple Torture wrote:

haven't read this one yet, what do you think?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 282  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment