The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 281  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:54 pm 
The Master

checked out telegraph avenue...we'll see if i can commit

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:

I wanted to like that more than I did. Here's hoping you have a better go of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:45 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:

I wanted to like that more than I did. Here's hoping you have a better go of it.

for whatever reason i've never felt pumped to try it, and i love chabon...if it's better than the mysteries of pittsburgh i won't complain

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:50 pm 
Future Drummer

I finally got my hands on Roadside Picnic (the book Tarkovsky's Stalker is based on) via ebook. It's pretty good so far.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:17 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Finally reading 10:04 after avoiding it for half a decade.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:

I really liked that book. Virtually everyone else I know that it was fine but more miss than hit. Interested to see where you land.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I really liked that book. Virtually everyone else I know that it was fine but more miss than hit. Interested to see where you land.

Interesting, my memory is that everyone LOVED it for about six months but in a begrudging way, like "ah shit, I guess this is the perfect novel, huh?" but that the tide has since turned on this kind of autofiction and especially on Ben Lerner. I really liked Atocha Station but I could never previously get past the second chapter of this one.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Interesting, my memory is that everyone LOVED it for about six months but in a begrudging way, like "ah shit, I guess this is the perfect novel, huh?" but that the tide has since turned on this kind of autofiction and especially on Ben Lerner. I really liked Atocha Station but I could never previously get past the second chapter of this one.

I'm not sure about national sentiment just my own private circle. And my friends were mostly underwhelmed. I think it's a wonderful book. I'm also not well versed in autofiction so maybe that's part of it? I don't know. The thing really resonated with me.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Started Karamazov. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I'm not sure about national sentiment just my own private circle. And my friends were mostly underwhelmed. I think it's a wonderful book. I'm also not well versed in autofiction so maybe that's part of it? I don't know. The thing really resonated with me.

Well, chalk me up as a bit underwhelmed too. I loved reading it, raced through it this time, but there was something about it, and especially at the end, that felt overly precious (loathed all the "dear reader" asides). And politically it feels strangely dated for a book about climate change.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:39 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

durdencommatyler wrote:
Started Karamazov. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Please tell me it's great as you make your way through it. It's been intimidating me from its place on my shelf for far too long now.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:43 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Simple Torture wrote:

Quote:
The Witch is dead. And the discovery of her corpse—by a group of children playing near the irrigation canals—propels the whole village into an investigation of how and why this murder occurred. Rumors and suspicions spread. As the novel unfolds in a dazzling linguistic torrent, with each unreliable narrator lingering details, new acts of depravity or brutality, Melchor extracts some tiny shred of humanity from these characters that most would write off as utterly irredeemable, forming a lasting portrait of a damned Mexican village. Like Roberto Bolaño’s 2666 or Faulkner’s greatest novels, Hurricane Season takes place in a world filled with mythology and violence—real violence, the kind that seeps into the soil, poisoning everything around: it’s a world that becomes more terrifying and more terrifyingly real the deeper you explore it.

This book is wild btw. Still have about an hour left.

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 4:55 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Quote:
The narrator of Montano’s Malady is a writer named Jose who is so obsessed with literature that he finds it impossible to distinguish between real life and fictional reality. Part picaresque novel, part intimate diary, part memoir and philosophical musings, Enrique Vila-Matas has created a labyrinth in which writers as various as Cervantes, Sterne, Kafka, Musil, Bolaño, Coetzee, and Sebald cross endlessly surprising paths. Trying to piece together his life of loss and pain, Jose leads the reader on an unsettling journey from European cities such as Nantes, Barcelona, Lisbon, Prague and Budapest to the Azores and the Chilean port of Valparaiso. Exquisitely witty and erudite, it confirms the opinion of Bernardo Axtaga that Vila-Matas is “the most important living Spanish writer.”

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 5:05 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:

Quote:
The narrator of Montano’s Malady is a writer named Jose who is so obsessed with literature that he finds it impossible to distinguish between real life and fictional reality. Part picaresque novel, part intimate diary, part memoir and philosophical musings, Enrique Vila-Matas has created a labyrinth in which writers as various as Cervantes, Sterne, Kafka, Musil, Bolaño, Coetzee, and Sebald cross endlessly surprising paths. Trying to piece together his life of loss and pain, Jose leads the reader on an unsettling journey from European cities such as Nantes, Barcelona, Lisbon, Prague and Budapest to the Azores and the Chilean port of Valparaiso. Exquisitely witty and erudite, it confirms the opinion of Bernardo Axtaga that Vila-Matas is “the most important living Spanish writer.”

Getting back to the classics--you've read this before, yeah?

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 11:16 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Mickey wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Quote:

Getting back to the classics--you've read this before, yeah?

Actually, no! I've read Bartleby (years ago, I'd love to re-read it), Portable Literature, and one or two of the shorter ones, so this is a fun new adventure.

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 4:11 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Did you read Never Any End to Paris? That's the one I think about the most. Lovely book.

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 4:13 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Yeah, earlier this year, Paris was great. Consistently funny, thoughtful, and moving. I probably wouldn't have liked it as much in my 20s.

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 4:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
Did you read Never Any End to Paris? That's the one I think about the most. Lovely book.

Is there more than one translation and if so do you recommend one over another?

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 4:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. All the EVM books were translated pretty recently, most are on New Directions.

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 4:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. All the EVM books were translated pretty recently, most are on New Directions.

Cool. Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 281  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment