The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2484 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 125  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12397
Location: Cumberland, RI
Original thread: http://archive.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7494&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=8b6c2dae054ab24bd80d029cdd6110a8

Over the last week (or two):

Denis Johnson - "Train Dreams"
Mariane Hauser - "The Talking Room"
E.L. Doctorow - "Ragtime"

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 11492
Location: in the wind
I've been wanting to read some Doctorow for some reason. Any impression yet if Ragtime is a good one, or maybe you know a better one?
I've been having trouble getting through The Adventures of Augie March. I really enjoyed reading Bellow's earlier two novels, which aren't even very famous or well-regarded, but I'm not really digging this one.

_________________
doug rr wrote:
argo, can I be your bench coach?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12397
Location: Cumberland, RI
I liked Ragtime, but I've got no idea about anything else of his. It's a pretty quick read, I'd recommend it.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 5:30 pm 
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 53
The Five Red Herrings - Dorothy L. Sayers
After Dark - Haruki Murakami
From Hell - Alan Moore with art by Eddie Campbell


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 5:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 12079
what joe hill book should i read?

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 56078
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Image

Still reading this. About half way through. And I love, love, love it!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 12:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 6063
Location: Space City
First up on my Kobo is CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, by George Saunders. Truly disturbing stuff.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 2:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 10796
The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler

Enjoying the hell out of it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 11492
Location: in the wind
The Argonaut wrote:
I've been having trouble getting through The Adventures of Augie March. I really enjoyed reading Bellow's earlier two novels, which aren't even very famous or well-regarded, but I'm not really digging this one.

I've been powering through and I've actually started to enjoy this one. I'm not sure if it starts poorly or if it's my state of mind that has changed after putting it down for a few days.

_________________
doug rr wrote:
argo, can I be your bench coach?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 6:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 230
Image

_________________
Quote:
Excuse you. This is the internet. There is every reason to shit on it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 15954
Spoiler: show
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 2:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:12 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Lynchburg, VA
When you are engulfed in flames - David Sedaris
Hope to finish it this weekend.

_________________
I hate to say I love you,
But oh goddamn I love you,
You know I do.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:46 pm
Posts: 147
Reading:
"The Greatest Show on Earth" -- Richard Dawkins
"Blueprints of the Afterlife" -- Ryan Boudinot

And I got a Kindle for Christmas, so I'm reading Moby Dick for kicks.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 6:14 pm
Posts: 1535
Location: ypnbsbr
readers digest


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 1111
Keynes- The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money

Some good stuff early, but this "propensity to consume" section is boring the shit outta me. Looking forward to the "inducement to invest" section.

Tim Layden- Blood, Sweat, and Chalk

Liking it a lot so far. Seems a good deal better than Jaworski's book.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 6063
Location: Space City
Still working on that Saunders. I'm finding that each story in this collection needs about a day to wear off before I begin the next one. I found that to be true of the Amy Hempel stories that I recently read as well.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 2:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 15954
nah wrote:
readers digest

on average, how much time do you spend on the toilet per day?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 3:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12397
Location: Cumberland, RI
washing machine II wrote:
Still working on that Saunders. I'm finding that each story in this collection needs about a day to wear off before I begin the next one. I found that to be true of the Amy Hempel stories that I recently read as well.


CivilWarLand, right? I started re-reading this today and got through everything except the novella. I actually think it's worth reading everything in nearly one sitting, as this time through I noticed lots of things that went over my head the first time.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 3:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 6063
Location: Space City
Simple Torture wrote:
washing machine II wrote:
Still working on that Saunders. I'm finding that each story in this collection needs about a day to wear off before I begin the next one. I found that to be true of the Amy Hempel stories that I recently read as well.


CivilWarLand, right? I started re-reading this today and got through everything except the novella. I actually think it's worth reading everything in nearly one sitting, as this time through I noticed lots of things that went over my head the first time.

Yeah, CivilWarLand. What kind of stuff are you picking up? Every one of these stories has a narrator with such a bad relationship to the past, and there's an overwhelming amount of references to creepily named products. I don't quite know what to make of it, but I like it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 4:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12397
Location: Cumberland, RI
washing machine II wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
washing machine II wrote:
Still working on that Saunders. I'm finding that each story in this collection needs about a day to wear off before I begin the next one. I found that to be true of the Amy Hempel stories that I recently read as well.


CivilWarLand, right? I started re-reading this today and got through everything except the novella. I actually think it's worth reading everything in nearly one sitting, as this time through I noticed lots of things that went over my head the first time.

Yeah, CivilWarLand. What kind of stuff are you picking up? Every one of these stories has a narrator with such a bad relationship to the past, and there's an overwhelming amount of references to creepily named products. I don't quite know what to make of it, but I like it.


The products and commodifications are definitely important, methinks. Other things I noticed: every story, with maybe the exception of "Isabelle," is about work and how it affects every characters' life. Some of them are dedicated, but for the most part work just isn't working for them (so to speak). Almost every story takes place during a time of economic hardship, too, so it's not like these characters can just walk away and find something else to do. Really interesting to me as these were all stories from the 1990s, when the economy was getting stronger and stronger. Also, I once almost wrote a paper on historical re-creation parks; could still happen!

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2484 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 125  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed December 13, 2017 8:21 pm