The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 281  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Tue February 26, 2019 6:28 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I've only ever read Baldwin's short works; "Sonny's Blues," "Notes of a Native Son," etc. All great. Never got into anything longer.

PostPosted: Tue February 26, 2019 6:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
I've only ever read Baldwin's short works; "Sonny's Blues," "Notes of a Native Son," etc. All great. Never got into anything longer.

Gotcha. I'll look into those. Thanks.

It's probably ridiculous but I often find myself considering you and your thoughts while reading. "I wonder how ST feels about this" is in my head a lot.

And I'm blown away by Another Country. It's a remarkable book, so far. I think you'd have great insight into it.

Anyway...

PostPosted: Tue February 26, 2019 11:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I started listening to Catch 22 today. I've read it a few times, but the trailer gave me the urge to revisit it.

PostPosted: Tue February 26, 2019 11:44 pm 
The Master

JuanHamm wrote:
I started listening to Catch 22 today. I've read it a few times, but the trailer gave me the urge to revisit it.

:luv:

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2019 1:29 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

durdencommatyler wrote:
It's probably ridiculous but I often find myself considering you and your thoughts while reading. "I wonder how ST feels about this" is in my head a lot.

This was...extremely flattering.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2019 3:38 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I only read non-fiction applicable to my life lately. Oh to be twenty five again.

PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2019 5:01 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Kind of/sort of throwing in the towel on the "Read 50 books in 2019" challenge, as I found I was stacking books in my to-read list that were short and could pad my stats instead of moving onto books that I actually have a drive to read. So many of those books that I've wanted to dive into (or to get back into) are long, and I'm looking forward to getting lost in those labyrinths. First up is a re-read, something I read in both 2009 and 2012, so I'm long overdue for a return:

Quote:
In this dazzling novel, the book that established his international reputation, Roberto Bolaño tells the story of two modern-day Quixotes--the last survivors of an underground literary movement, perhaps of literature itself--on a tragicomic quest through a darkening, entropic universe: our own. The Savage Detectives is an exuberant, raunchy, wildly inventive, and ambitious novel from one of the greatest Latin American authors of our age.

PostPosted: Thu March 14, 2019 11:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 1:49 am 
Rank This Poster

It's slow moving thus far, but extremely well-written. I'd been meaning to get to this one for a while. I've been on a fiction binge again after non-fiction for several months; I read Exit West by Moshin Hamid and Sing, Unburied Sing by Jesymn Ward which were both as great as advertised, but the one that surprised (and one I really just picked up on a whim) was Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt; a bizarre book with a surprisingly moving ending.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2019 2:37 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I got an email today that, for some reason, I hadn't received (or noticed) since I completed my dissertation in August: a summary of where it's been accessed from on ProQuest. In the past 30 days, it's been accessed at NYU, Cambridge, U of Chicago, OSU, Yale, and some universities in Europe (including Leipzig). That's pretty cool! In total, it's been downloaded 265 times in 36 countries. It may never actually land me a job, but it still gave me a good feeling today.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2019 5:00 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:
I got an email today that, for some reason, I hadn't received (or noticed) since I completed my dissertation in August: a summary of where it's been accessed from on ProQuest. In the past 30 days, it's been accessed at NYU, Cambridge, U of Chicago, OSU, Yale, and some universities in Europe (including Leipzig). That's pretty cool! In total, it's been downloaded 265 times in 36 countries. It may never actually land me a job, but it still gave me a good feeling today.

Dawg you have *got* to embargo that shit

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2019 12:22 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Mickey wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I could've sworn that I did, honestly, I should check my paperwork. No one was gonna publish that shit, so I don't care too too much.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2019 2:16 pm 
Major Dude

Simple Torture wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I could've sworn that I did, honestly, I should check my paperwork. No one was gonna publish that shit, so I don't care too too much.

Where can we view this document so as to properly critique it and you?

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2019 2:17 pm 
The Master

send wease desert places, s_t

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2019 4:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Not with that attitude they're not!

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 2:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2019 6:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Reading the God of War novelization and it's a pretty amazing feat. I didn't play the game but man it feels like the author basically sat behind someone as they did and wrote everything that happened. I mean it feels so much like a game at times, it's wild. Not bad per se, just something that you can feel. Like you can tell "this is the cut scene, this is the QTE, this is the part where they hide the loading"...ok maybe that last one is because I listen to a lot of GOTY podcasts. lol

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2019 9:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Sat March 30, 2019 4:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 3:00 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

From Bret Easton Ellis´s new book which im dying to read it...

“This is an age that judges everybody so harshly through the lens of identity politics that if you resist the threatening groupthink of ‘progressive ideology,’ which proposes universal inclusivity except for those who dare to ask any questions, you’re somehow fucked. Everyone has to be the same, and have the same reactions to any given work of art, or movement or idea, and if you refuse to join the chorus of approval you will be tagged a racist or a misogynist. This is what happens to a culture when it no longer cares about art.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 281  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment