The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 282  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 9:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

What a weird blurb....

I get nervous when I see a book is "one paragraph". Sometimes I can end up loving stuff like that (Saramago and Bolano, sort of). But man that's intimidating and I usually won't even try without a trusted rec.

PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 10:09 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

durdencommatyler wrote:
What a weird blurb....

I get nervous when I see a book is "one paragraph". Sometimes I can end up loving stuff like that (Saramago and Bolano, sort of). But man that's intimidating and I usually won't even try without a trusted rec.

It's only like 50 pages long and is a tiny, tiny book--sort of like the way most Aira books are released, if you're familiar with them. Could probably be a short story. I'm excited.

I liked the Dead Mountaineer's Inn--very fun and weird vibe, good character stuff. It sort of fell apart at the end with the reveal. I wish it had gone on longer.

PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 10:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
What a weird blurb....

It's only like 50 pages long and is a tiny, tiny book--sort of like the way most Aira books are released, if you're familiar with them. Could probably be a short story. I'm excited.

I liked the Dead Mountaineer's Inn--very fun and weird vibe, good character stuff. It sort of fell apart at the end with the reveal. I wish it had gone on longer.

I tend to agree with DMI.

Let me know how you like The Hole. It's sounds super interesting and kinda weird.

PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 10:51 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

durdencommatyler wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
What a weird blurb....

Let me know how you like The Hole. It's sounds super interesting and kinda weird.

Will do.

This is also the first new book I've bought in a long, long time--I looked around for an eBook download for a week and said, "Fuck it," and ordered a physical copy. A weird feeling after so long.

PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 10:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
What a weird blurb....

Will do.

This is also the first new book I've bought in a long, long time--I looked around for an eBook download for a week and said, "Fuck it," and ordered a physical copy. A weird feeling after so long.

:hooray:

I can't imagine NOT buying physical books from time to time. I just love everything about the experience/sensation of buying a physical book. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 10:57 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I just didn't have the time to read anything new, so it wasn't worthwhile. I also spend so much money and devote so much space to records that I can really only handle one physical medium.

PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 10:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
I just didn't have the time to read anything new, so it wasn't worthwhile. I also spend so much money and devote so much space to records that I can really only handle one physical medium.

Yeah, that makes sense. I need to purge my bookshelf in a bad way. I'm also a big fan of giving away books, luckily.

PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 11:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
What a weird blurb....

Will do.

I can't imagine NOT buying physical books from time to time. I just love everything about the experience/sensation of buying a physical book. :heartbeat:
It's very difficult for me to not walk out of Goodwill or Value Village without splurging on books.

PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 11:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS!!!

PostPosted: Mon November 19, 2018 5:58 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

durdencommatyler wrote:
What a weird blurb....

I read the introduction the other day and it got me really excited. However, since it included the factoid that it's told in real time, I figured I better wait until I have an hour so I can read it in one sitting. Should be able to bust it out at the end of work tonight.

PostPosted: Mon November 19, 2018 6:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
What a weird blurb....

I read the introduction the other day and it got me really excited. However, since it included the factoid that it's told in real time, I figured I better wait until I have an hour so I can read it in one sitting. Should be able to bust it out at the end of work tonight.

Yeah, that's interesting. I kinda like that.

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 3:59 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

durdencommatyler wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
What a weird blurb....

Yeah, that's interesting. I kinda like that.

I think this was good, I was a big fan of the structure and the characters really popped for such a short text. But it really didn't feel like a book, more like an exercise or a sketch that would be at home in a collection of long-ish short stories. I also finished a re-read of Bolano's Antwerp tonight, which also has an experimental, sketch-ish quality, but it's very up-front about how it's not all put together, which helps its charm. Not that The Hole isn't put together, mind you.

Returning to 2666 for a few days now before tackling something else. This is my current to-read list:

he Hospital By Ahmed Bouanani
The Lime Tree by Cesar Aira
Station 11
The Savage Detectives (the only re-read on the list)
Hannah Versus The Tree
The Handmaid's Tale
The Changeling by Joy Williams
Well Towers' short stories
The Boatbuilder

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 7:01 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:

thinking about checking this out from the library today and giving it a try over the break

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 7:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Just finished this one. Best book in The Expanse series by some margin.

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 7:32 pm 
Poster of the Year

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 7:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Nice. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 8:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

thinking about checking this out from the library today and giving it a try over the break

Sweet! I hope you dig it.

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 8:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 8:23 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

maybe this will get me back into reading

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 8:39 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

maybe this will get me back into reading

Here's to hoping!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 282  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment