The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2017 9:44 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

bune wrote:
I feel like I would enjoy a classroom discussion about it that spanned a couple weeks just because of the myriad of ideas in it.

I discussed it with my honors students once and we had an awesome time. The toughest part of it is to get past the idea that he hates TV--that's what you would sort of expect with an essay like this, but it's a much more complex argument than that. He hates Joe Isuzu and he's got problems with Letterman. But that doesn't mean TV itself is a bad idea or a wasteland.

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2017 9:50 pm 
Future Drummer

Yeah, that sentence was just from my update blurb on Goodreads. I wish I had the book here so I could pull from it. It's weird how you can basically see from what he's writing how we got to where we are right now as far as people who watch TV more than they interact with real people.

He may not hate TV but I'm pretty sure he would hate the fuck out of Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 12:58 am 
Future Drummer

"Getting Away from Already Being Pretty Much Away from It All"

This one was interesting, especially since we went to the State Fair for the first time last year so I used that as a comparison. Pretty apt the way he puts it, even here in Washington and almost 20 years later.

"Greatly Exaggerated"

OK, this seems like he's getting pretentious for the sake of pretention but it's a first read and he used a lot of words I've never seen before. Is this not almost a refutation of the earlier critique of criticism by making it sounds so stilted and boring?

"David Lynch Keeps His Head"

I went back and forth on this one. I don't remember that version of Dune - I kind of liked it, after all - and I've not seen any of his other movies or anything. I'm very interested now, but certainly not with my wife or son present. Jesus. Also I couldn't help but think about the new season of Twin Peaks the whole time he was talking about how bad the second season of the show and the movie were. I wonder, at this point, if they were truly terrible and they just used the 3rd season to corral all that weird shit into something that fans would enjoy.

On the tennis one now, just started it.

PostPosted: Fri December 08, 2017 6:20 pm 
Future Drummer

Finished today. It's hilarious the number of times DFW says "It's a long story, I won't go into it" in the middle of his long stories.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment