The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Re: The Prince of Nothing/The Darkness that Comes Before
PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 9:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
Anders wrote:
I just mentioned it in another thread, but how about The First Law by Joe Abercrombie?

That's a really fun series. The three follow up books are also excellent as well. I'd say the same about The Lies of Locke Lamora series, too (think a darker Oceans 11 set in a fantasy background). I'd rank those two just below the big 4 only because I do like it when the stuff I'm reading has something larger and more interesting to say, and while Abercrombie has great characters and really appealing stories in the end they are just stories, and so feel disposable in a way some of these other books may not (well, I'm not sure what the larger message of Kingkiller is yet, but those are just such ridiculously well written books that I don't care)

9 fingers is the second best take on the barbarian archetype I've read. The best is in Prince of Nothing.

Locke Lamora / Gentleman Bastard Sequence is a lot of fun, but I agree it's not as large/interesting as some of the others. I think First Law does have a lot to say though, and indeed Ninefingers is a fantastic character.

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 9:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
Anders wrote:
You are well read. Have you read Blood Song by Anthony Ryan, or The Way Of Kings by Brandon Sanderson? Those are near the top of my to read pile, and I keep hearing good things about them.

I haven't :(

Always good to have more books to read.

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 9:29 pm 
The worst

Anders wrote:
stip wrote:
Anders wrote:
I just mentioned it in another thread, but how about The First Law by Joe Abercrombie?

That's a really fun series. The three follow up books are also excellent as well. I'd say the same about The Lies of Locke Lamora series, too (think a darker Oceans 11 set in a fantasy background). I'd rank those two just below the big 4 only because I do like it when the stuff I'm reading has something larger and more interesting to say, and while Abercrombie has great characters and really appealing stories in the end they are just stories, and so feel disposable in a way some of these other books may not (well, I'm not sure what the larger message of Kingkiller is yet, but those are just such ridiculously well written books that I don't care)

9 fingers is the second best take on the barbarian archetype I've read. The best is in Prince of Nothing.

Locke Lamora / Gentleman Bastard Sequence is a lot of fun, but I agree it's not as large/interesting as some of the others. I think First Law does have a lot to say though, and indeed Ninefingers is a fantastic character.

the third gentleman bastards book came out late last year. Have you read it?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 9:30 pm 
The worst

Anders wrote:
stip wrote:
Anders wrote:
You are well read. Have you read Blood Song by Anthony Ryan, or The Way Of Kings by Brandon Sanderson? Those are near the top of my to read pile, and I keep hearing good things about them.

I haven't :(

Always good to have more books to read.

my pile is getting to be taller than my bedside table. Children have really thrown me off my pace.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 9:32 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

durdencommatyler wrote:
I goddamn LOVE the Dark Tower series.

Me too but since I found out it's been utterly outclassed I'm going to have to rethink things. I'm still reeling since I found out Tolkien was a horrible writer so this is getting overwhelming. :D

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 9:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
Anders wrote:
stip wrote:
Anders wrote:

the third gentleman bastards book came out late last year. Have you read it?

Not yet, but I will, probably later this year.

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 9:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I goddamn LOVE the Dark Tower series.

Me too but since I found out it's been utterly outclassed I'm going to have to rethink things. I'm still reeling since I found out Tolkien was a horrible writer so this is getting overwhelming. :D

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 10:06 pm 
The worst

8-)

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 10:08 pm 
The worst

in all seriousness, how do you think that stacks up against something like A song of Ice and Fire (assuming you've read both, Bada)?

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 10:46 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

stip wrote:
in all seriousness, how do you think that stacks up against something like A song of Ice and Fire (assuming you've read both, Bada)?

Well I think I have a different approach to you as in I don't really compare and rank everything in an effort to find what is the best possible thing ever and I mean that in the nicest possible way. :D

Seriously though Tolkien is my favorite and I will readily admit that he was the first author I ever really got into and a lot of my feeling towards his work is wrapped up in childhood nostalgia and there is no way I could ever be unbiased in any assessment of his work. In Tolkien's defense he was writing epics in the classic sense and very much in that style. I don't think it would have occurred to Tolkien that he could write seven thousand page books to flesh out his stories. A Dance of Dragons is longer then the entire LOTR Trilogy.

I had issues with The Dark Tower. I thought the ultimate ending of The Dark Tower was very satisfying but the three "boss" battles in Book 7 were a huge let down especially how Flagg went out. He's the main villain of King's entire universe and that's his ending? I read a lot of King and he has ticks that annoy me mostly characters inner monologues where he is trying to be funny and goes on and on.

My only issue with A Song Of Fire And Ice is the endless names and flags. The false deaths are getting a little much but other than that I really love it.

I can't really critique any of these guys as writers they write the way they write and I mostly enjoy their stories. I guess I like A Song Of Fire better than the Dark Tower but one has an ending and the other doesn't so it's not really a fair fight.

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 2:53 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Of the thirty book series threads stip started today, these look the most interesting to me.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment