The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: silver linings playbook
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 4:36 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Heathen wrote:
If there's one thing that most RMers can relate to it has to be debilitating mental issues.

PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 6:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I have quite honestly no idea what experiencing mental illness has to do with thinking that the important-dance-routine-is-actually-a-weird-hyper-sexual-mashup-performed-in-front-of-various-family-members bit is lifted almost directly from Little Miss Sunshine. I agree with dct, in fact--mental health may have set the frame of the narrative but it didn't play into really any of the issues Argo and Plat and I have identified as hindering our personal enjoyment of the film. And to bring it up, even if you didn't mean it this way, is sanctimonious and offensive; it implies there's a requisite level of suffering or hardship that must be surpassed to enjoy this movie. It's a patronizing move.

As to what Malice mentioned, I certainly don't think the fact that I didn't love this film means it's a turd and anyone who likes it needs to get their heads checked. In my earlier RM life, I almost certainly would have implied that much, or said it directly. But what I identified here are just things that bugged me. The dance-routine bit, specifically, has to do with the fact that I've seen Little Miss Sunshine and the SLP scene rings a little too imitative there and makes the ending feel unimaginative to me. You may or may not agree and you may or may not have seen Little Miss Sunshine and none of that really matters if you like the movie. I was just trying to identify why this film didn't really strike me--I realized after that first post that I actually saw it twice.

Although I'd also say that in general, someone I respect not-liking a movie is cause for me to reevaluate my judgment of it, especially (not relevant in this case) if said person finds the movie offensive in ways my privilege may have blinded me to. And likewise, if someone I know loves a movie I hated, I'm probably going to question my original judgment of it. I'm really not sure how this is a bad thing, as long as it's done respectfully.

PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 7:15 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

thank you

PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 7:17 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

it was just ok. Not David Russell best one...and a terrible casting....both of them are great but too hot for their roles.

De Niro was good tough..

PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 7:34 pm 
post-structuralist

hey mickey - just to clarify - i wasn't hoping to attack you (or asher either) - just attempting to express my thoughts with a rather inadequate internal vocabulary in terms of film critique, I have no background in film making or related fields with which I can turn a more critical eye on the relatively few movies I see, and actually appreciate all you guys for your knowledge and opinions as a result.

as I've noted many, many times over the years here - I am forceful and usually very definite in stating opinions here, which often is interpreted as either angry or purposely offensive. this is almost never the case. nor does it even mean I'm bothered by something most of the time. it's just a personal style that developed of its own accord.

i think this movie was an enjoyable fluffy film, and not much more. not even sure why I decided to comment on it since I have no attachment to it... (I did not see Little Miss Sunshine, btw) - there's something about posting here (maybe any board, I don't know) that makes it easy, in my opinion, to both convey a sense of superiority as well as extrapolate that sense in a post.

my only gripe of anyone's posts in this thread was and remains: why is a fluff-piece movie necessarily an object of derision at all times?
(sometimes a cigar etc etc )

but of course, that's not what you (or I assume asher or jorge even) are saying and I suppose I should now gracefully use my advancing age as an excuse about why I commented in the manner I did.

you damn gen-y kids and your sense of intellectual superiority...

something like that I guess.

so, having beaten this into the ground and rolled over it with construction equipment, I now hope to never post in this thread again. thanks.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 11:05 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

WtOB? wrote:
i thought It's Kind of a Funny Story was a better crazy-people-in-love film.

It has a darker ending for sure...

'Funny Story' Author Commits Suicide in NY

Ned Vizzini, a popular young adult author and television writer who wrote candidly and humorously about his struggles with depression, has committed suicide. He was 32.

Vizzini jumped off the roof of his parents' home in Brooklyn on Thursday, said his brother, Daniel Vizzini. New York City's medical examiner's office confirmed Friday that Vizzini took his own life and had sustained blunt impact injuries consistent with a fall. Daniel Vizzini said his brother had battled mental illness for much of his life and had "taken a turn for the worse" in recent weeks.

Ned Vizzini's autobiographical novel "It's Kind of a Funny Story" was adapted into a feature film of the same name. A resident of Los Angeles in recent years, he was a prolific author of fiction and nonfiction and spoke around the country about mental health and the healing effects of writing. On his website, he recommended Andrew Solomon's "The Noonday Demon" and the Dalai Lama's "The Art of Happiness" to readers coping with depression.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... 2-21292770

PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 11:59 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:

as I've noted many, many times over the years here - I am forceful and usually very definite in stating opinions here, which often is interpreted as either angry or purposely offensive.

Aww. I understand you, Mary.

PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2013 3:02 am 
Mind Your Tanners

malice wrote:
hey mickey - just to clarify - i wasn't hoping to attack you (or asher either) - just attempting to express my thoughts with a rather inadequate internal vocabulary in terms of film critique, I have no background in film making or related fields with which I can turn a more critical eye on the relatively few movies I see, and actually appreciate all you guys for your knowledge and opinions as a result.

as I've noted many, many times over the years here - I am forceful and usually very definite in stating opinions here, which often is interpreted as either angry or purposely offensive. this is almost never the case. nor does it even mean I'm bothered by something most of the time. it's just a personal style that developed of its own accord.

i think this movie was an enjoyable fluffy film, and not much more. not even sure why I decided to comment on it since I have no attachment to it... (I did not see Little Miss Sunshine, btw) - there's something about posting here (maybe any board, I don't know) that makes it easy, in my opinion, to both convey a sense of superiority as well as extrapolate that sense in a post.

my only gripe of anyone's posts in this thread was and remains: why is a fluff-piece movie necessarily an object of derision at all times?
(sometimes a cigar etc etc )

but of course, that's not what you (or I assume asher or jorge even) are saying and I suppose I should now gracefully use my advancing age as an excuse about why I commented in the manner I did.

you damn gen-y kids and your sense of intellectual superiority...

something like that I guess.

so, having beaten this into the ground and rolled over it with construction equipment, I now hope to never post in this thread again. thanks.

No worries, Marymalice--I understand and didn't feel attacked, just wanted to clarify. You and I have a similar posting style. I do think it's a bit more than a fluff-piece, considering it was up for all five of the major Oscars, but like I said, I don't hate this movie (I just....don't understand why it was up for the big five. Other than J. Lawrence, who was wonderful).

PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2013 3:03 am 
Mind Your Tanners

How many of you tools are going to see American Hustle, though?

PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2013 3:26 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:

:wave:

PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2013 3:26 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

turned2black wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
i thought It's Kind of a Funny Story was a better crazy-people-in-love film.

It has a darker ending for sure...

'Funny Story' Author Commits Suicide in NY

Ned Vizzini, a popular young adult author and television writer who wrote candidly and humorously about his struggles with depression, has committed suicide. He was 32.

Vizzini jumped off the roof of his parents' home in Brooklyn on Thursday, said his brother, Daniel Vizzini. New York City's medical examiner's office confirmed Friday that Vizzini took his own life and had sustained blunt impact injuries consistent with a fall. Daniel Vizzini said his brother had battled mental illness for much of his life and had "taken a turn for the worse" in recent weeks.

Ned Vizzini's autobiographical novel "It's Kind of a Funny Story" was adapted into a feature film of the same name. A resident of Los Angeles in recent years, he was a prolific author of fiction and nonfiction and spoke around the country about mental health and the healing effects of writing. On his website, he recommended Andrew Solomon's "The Noonday Demon" and the Dalai Lama's "The Art of Happiness" to readers coping with depression.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... 2-21292770

Jesus...

PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2013 7:49 am 
AnalLog

Mickey wrote:

nope.

why would i? no splosions.

PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2013 1:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mickey wrote:

Can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2013 1:58 pm 
Future Drummer

red calzolaio wrote:
Mickey wrote:

nope.

why would i? no splosions.

Yes there will...

Spoiler: show
in my pants!!!

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2013 11:16 am 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I wish! I am very excited to get to see it 6 months from now, though

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2013 4:05 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:

My wife and I have decided that this will be our Christmas Day film.

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2013 4:14 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:

My wife and I have decided that this will be our Christmas Day film.

Is it between this, The Wolf of Wll Street, or Grudge Match? It's Grudge Match, ain't it?

PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2013 3:40 am 
slower than 82% of US

spike wrote:
i mean, when you cast two bonafide sex symbols as the leads, it's not going to be the most grim and sober take on mental illness - which, though i haven't read it, i believe is the tone of the book it's based on anyway. this movie was never meant to be taken too seriously or commended for its realism, and the casting is an obvious tip off that it was meant to appeal to a wide audience. for what's essentially a popcorn flick, i commend it for the balance between light hearted and heartbreaking. well done.

just watched this for the first time and I agree the plot was mainly popcorn romance movie, but with "mental issues" being a theme. It seemed less about actual mental issues and more about dealing with how hard life can be and dealing with/getting over that.

PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2013 4:03 am 
Technical Overlord

It was just nice to see De Niro acting again.

PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2013 5:07 am 
The Master

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
It was just nice to see De Niro acting again.

:o

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment