The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: All things Sherlock Holmes
PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 7:33 pm 
The worst

there is just something so charming about the english.

I love the actor who plays mycroft. Mrs. Hudson and Mary Watson are also fantastic. And I may have a crush on jenine (sp?). The casting of the people in Holmes' larger circle has been very well done.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 4:00 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Just watched the first episode of Sherlock. The first few minutes had me worried. The direction and production values were rather poor but once things got going it was good. The two leads are excellent.

PostPosted: Wed February 26, 2014 10:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

we started watching this the other night and am really liking it so far...

PostPosted: Wed February 26, 2014 10:33 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Disliked Season 3.

Spoiler: show
The first episode was just a mess.

While I appreciated the wedding episode, I never felt like it came together the way it should have. Seemed to serve as just a set-piece to have Cumberbatch deliver some good dialog that didn't really add up to much. Too clever for it's own good.

The final episode was the best. Magnussen was a spectacular villain.

In general I think this show and Sherlock has become too "big". Preferred Season One when he was just kinda an unknown weirdo helping to solve cases instead of an internationally known superdetective.

PostPosted: Wed February 26, 2014 10:38 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

See, I thought every episode of season 3 (but especially the last 2) was a tour de force. I liked the weird, disjointed messiness of it, and the visual representation of Sherlock's train of thought, and the mind palace. I also think they developed Watson's character really well. The only part I didn't care for was the very end of episode 3, those last 45 seconds or however long that was.

PostPosted: Wed February 26, 2014 11:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Too many big moments this season hinged on trying to outsmart the audience rather than playing to the characters' space within the mystery. This is a problem because Moffat's just not very clever. When you put all your money on your ability to keep a step ahead of your audience, then they'd better not be able to see every twist from a mile away

As in all things, Freeman is great. Most of the casting is. The relationships are what makes this show work, and the wedding episode worked better than the others because it focused the story around that rather than unraveling unsurprising surprises.

Still a good show, but needs to get away from "villain of the season" giant evil-guy arcs. When it first dropped it was the first Sherlock adaptation that I thought had the potential to top the original stories...now I just hope next season is good.

PostPosted: Wed March 05, 2014 7:21 pm 
Posting (live)

BBC Sherlock is awesome. Only watched up to Season 3Ep1 so far but it's great. Bit dramatic at times.

Now Elementary really pisses me off. I like Johnny Lee Miller and his mannerisms but whenever Joan opens her mouth it's a fucking let's-talk downer that takes you out of the episode. I'm so sick of her shit.

PostPosted: Wed March 05, 2014 7:27 pm 
The worst

theplatypus wrote:
See, I thought every episode of season 3 (but especially the last 2) was a tour de force. I liked the weird, disjointed messiness of it, and the visual representation of Sherlock's train of thought, and the mind palace. I also think they developed Watson's character really well. The only part I didn't care for was the very end of episode 3, those last 45 seconds or however long that was.

are you talking about moriarty's reappearance, or the 'you're banished/no wait, now you're not' part. I thought the later was pretty funny, and kind of poked some self-referential fun at the previous cliffhanger endings

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 05, 2014 7:27 pm 
The worst

LetMeSleep wrote:
BBC Sherlock is awesome. Only watched up to Season 3Ep1 so far but it's great. Bit dramatic at times.

Now Elementary really pisses me off. I like Johnny Lee Miller and his mannerisms but whenever Joan opens her mouth it's a fucking let's-talk downer that takes you out of the episode. I'm so sick of her shit.

episodes 2 and 3 are even better.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 05, 2014 7:28 pm 
The worst

McParadigm wrote:
Too many big moments this season hinged on trying to outsmart the audience rather than playing to the characters' space within the mystery. This is a problem because Moffat's just not very clever. When you put all your money on your ability to keep a step ahead of your audience, then they'd better not be able to see every twist from a mile away

which bits are you thinking about?

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 05, 2014 8:02 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

It's been a few weeks, but the fact that the bomb on the train was defused, all the basics about Mary's "secret," the twist regarding the blackmail guy's library/glasses, and the truth about the dummy in the scene where Sherlock confronts Mary all stand out as moments that were so brutally obvious that you actually found yourself going "I wonder when they'll finally get around to 'revealing' that..."

Mary's surprise and the truth about the library especially felt like they were treated with "the audience will be oh so shocked to learn" gloves, but you knew the former before the end of the first episode and the latter was an "oh, obviously they'll do this" twist, just based on how hard they worked to imply that the glasses were receiving a signal from a physical library location.

PostPosted: Wed March 05, 2014 8:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

spurn schlock drones

PostPosted: Wed March 05, 2014 9:36 pm 
The worst

McParadigm wrote:
stip wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

It's been a few weeks, but the fact that the bomb on the train was defused, all the basics about Mary's "secret," the twist regarding the blackmail guy's library/glasses, and the truth about the dummy in the scene where Sherlock confronts Mary all stand out as moments that were so brutally obvious that you actually found yourself going "I wonder when they'll finally get around to 'revealing' that..."

Mary's surprise and the truth about the library especially felt like they were treated with "the audience will be oh so shocked to learn" gloves, but you knew the former before the end of the first episode and the latter was an "oh, obviously they'll do this" twist, just based on how hard they worked to imply that the glasses were receiving a signal from a physical library location.

Okay, with the possible exception of the dummy I didn't notice any of these things. On the other hand, I'm good at letting a story take me where it wants to go, rather than trying to outthink or reverse engineer it. But I was surprised in a WTF way when the assassin was Mary, and had an oh shit moment when the blackmail stuff was just a mind palace. And I did not feel stupid about it afterwards.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 05, 2014 10:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
stip wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Okay, with the possible exception of the dummy I didn't notice any of these things. On the other hand, I'm good at letting a story take me where it wants to go, rather than trying to outthink or reverse engineer it. But I was surprised in a WTF way when the assasin was Mary, and had an oh shit moment when the blackmail stuff was just a mind palace.

It's not about trying to outthink anything or anyone. They just aren't clever or unexpected events. Mary identifies some clue or other that Sherlock misses in the first 30 minutes she's on screen. Then in the wedding episode, she does something similar. I think Sherlock even gives her a suspicious look or something, if I remember right. But frankly, in each of the cases listed above, I don't know how a person wouldn't have expected the "twist" in exactly the same way they would expect a character insisting "I am never, ever, ever-ever shaving this beard!" to then immediately be shown shaving their beard.

PostPosted: Thu March 06, 2014 1:06 am 
The worst

and those moments jumped out at me after the fact. I sailed right past them in my initial viewings, and enjoyed the breadcrumbs in subsequent viewings. I'm not sure this was nearly as obvious as you're making them out to be

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu March 06, 2014 1:47 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

They were pretty fucking obvious.

PostPosted: Thu March 06, 2014 11:53 am 
The worst

i know when my wife remembers random seemingly inconsequential details my default assumption is that she is some kind of spy. I just assume TV doesn't work like that

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu March 06, 2014 12:13 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Some of them were obvious (particularly the resolution to the mystery in the wedding episode), some of them weren't; I never found them to be the central point of the episode, more what the characters did with them.

PostPosted: Thu March 06, 2014 12:29 pm 
Future Drummer

I assumed from the start the guy was using his mind palace or whatever, I thought it was cool they gave his a different visual representation than Sherlocks....so I was confused when Sherlock thought it was magic Google glasses. Then at the end I had assumed Sherlock had figured it out and was wearing a wire so Mycroft had a confession...cause this dude's supposed to be clever, but no. All the time jumps made this shit extra stupid because wtf was he doing in the mean time if not figuring this shit out. I didn't figure out the dummy was John, because I was still wtf'ing at that projection Shit.
Knew Mary was a spy or something as soon as she recognised the code in the text in the first episode.

It's been months so idk if anyone will remember, but who's helicopter did Sherlock and Watson take to Magnussons? Unless it was mycrofts and they actually were working together?

This show needs more episodes and better pacing if it wants to pull of all these grand evil bond villain plans and shit.

There's a quote somewhere that explains why Moffat is gonna run this show into the ground. He says something to the effect of 'you have to keep going bigger and bigger, because you never want to say here's the new series with slightly less mortal peril than the last'. Less peril and less bullshit is exactly what this show needs imo. Or better writing.

PostPosted: Thu March 06, 2014 12:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
There's a quote somewhere that explains why Moffat is gonna run this show into the ground. He says something to the effect of 'you have to keep going bigger and bigger, because you never want to say here's the new series with slightly less mortal peril than the last'.

That's Moffat alright. :shake:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment