The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: movie: Captain America: Winter Soldier
PostPosted: Thu October 24, 2013 5:51 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

might be a little preachy, but whatevs.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Post subject: Re: movie: Captain America: Winter Soldier
PostPosted: Thu October 24, 2013 6:31 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Scarlett looks good. Movie looks a little sterile. Kinda like the Arrow show where they don't have the budget for extras so everything happens on deserted streets.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 12:44 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Who's the black guy with wings and the guy w/ the metal arm?

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 12:48 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

B wrote:
Who's the black guy with wings and the guy w/ the metal arm?

Spoiler: show
falcon and Winter Soldier i assume.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 12:50 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The guy with the metal arm is

Bucky! Right? His old friend from the first movie who fell to his "death"? Isn't that the same actor?

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 12:52 am 

theplatypus wrote:

Bucky! Right? His old friend from the first movie who fell to his "death"? Isn't that the same actor?

yeah

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 12:52 am 
RM Elitist

If someone doesn't know who Falcon is, it's not a spoiler to say who it is.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 2:55 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

theplatypus wrote:

yea, i think anything that is common knowledge in the comic books shouldnt be spoilered

in the comics for marvel there were two universal truths. Uncle Ben stays dead and so does bucky. I believe it was Ed Brubaker that brought bucky back as the Winter Soldier.

Ill spoiler the back story of the Winter Soldier/Bucky resurrection out of respect

Cap and bucky both fell to their deaths trying to disarm a missle. Caps body was recovered by the avengers after fighting Namor the Submariner. What CA didnt know was that even though Bucky was his "side" kick bucky was actually a top level secret agent who did wetwork for the american government during WWII. he fell into the water and was frozen also and the russians found him. the did trials and experiments on him to slow his aging process as well as wipe his mind.

Shield had information of the Winter Soldier but couldnt confirm for sure who it was. Cap got his hands on the cosmic cube (the terra sect from the movie. in the comics it is basically a genie in the bottle...it grants you any wish you have.) When cap confronted the winter soldier people thought he wished for the WS to be bucky and so it was. He basically said though, remember who you are and the WS regained his memory and came back to the side of good.

I do realize i condensed it a bit but i havent actually read that story arc, though its on my to do list this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 1:08 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

@SkitchP wrote:

If someone doesn't know who Falcon is, it's not a spoiler to say who it is.

Oh yeah, my kids have a book where that dude races Juggernaut up a building to win a bet at the county fair.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 3:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

B wrote:
Oh yeah, my kids have a book where that dude races Juggernaut up a building to win a bet at the county fair.

That will be adapted into a movie by 2016.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 3:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

also, this upcoming release cannot possibly be as good as the first 1/3 of its predecessor, or as absolutely stupid as the other 2/3.

PostPosted: Sat October 26, 2013 2:18 pm 
Future Drummer

:anticipates:

PostPosted: Sat October 26, 2013 9:16 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'v never really followed the Captain. But I'll check this thing out. The first one was decent enough (at least, half of it was). And I have no attachment to the property. I didn't even know he fought any villain besides Red Skull.

PostPosted: Sat October 26, 2013 9:32 pm 

He was my favorite when I was a kid. Maybe because he was sort of like Batman in that he was mostly a normal dude, but was somehow still better than everyone else and automatically the leader in any situation. He was always the last one standing after all the more powerful guys got crushed.

I've been a disappointed in how he's been handled in The Avengers. They kinda made him the leader but only because the other, more powerful Avengers thought it would be cute. He's been relegated to a support role. Hopefully in the next Avengers movie they'll get it right, but with Ironman's popularity, it will probably just be Ironman doing all the work again while Cap punches things in the background.

PostPosted: Sat October 26, 2013 9:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Did you like the first stand-alone movie?

PostPosted: Sat October 26, 2013 9:48 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:

the first half was great. The second half has tons of problems, partly because they had to rush him into modern day for Avengers.

PostPosted: Sat October 26, 2013 10:05 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

the first half was great. The second half has tons of problems, partly because they had to rush him into modern day for Avengers.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun October 27, 2013 10:57 pm 
AnalLog

Peeps wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

yea, i think anything that is common knowledge in the comic books shouldnt be spoilered

in the comics for marvel there were two universal truths. Uncle Ben stays dead and so does bucky. I believe it was Ed Brubaker that brought bucky back as the Winter Soldier.

Ill spoiler the back story of the Winter Soldier/Bucky resurrection out of respect

Cap and bucky both fell to their deaths trying to disarm a missle. Caps body was recovered by the avengers after fighting Namor the Submariner. What CA didnt know was that even though Bucky was his "side" kick bucky was actually a top level secret agent who did wetwork for the american government during WWII. he fell into the water and was frozen also and the russians found him. the did trials and experiments on him to slow his aging process as well as wipe his mind.

Shield had information of the Winter Soldier but couldnt confirm for sure who it was. Cap got his hands on the cosmic cube (the terra sect from the movie. in the comics it is basically a genie in the bottle...it grants you any wish you have.) When cap confronted the winter soldier people thought he wished for the WS to be bucky and so it was. He basically said though, remember who you are and the WS regained his memory and came back to the side of good.

I do realize i condensed it a bit but i havent actually read that story arc, though its on my to do list this weekend.

you got it mostly right from what i remember? ITS A GREAT FUCKING story arc, but theres also
Wolverine got his memory back about the same time, and Bucky was indeed the Winter Soldier, and, who killed Wolverines pregnant wife many years back, AND, Winter Soldier/Bucky who helped Wolverine escape from the Weapon X program. I BELIEVE, I could be wrong, but Wolverine actually was the one who first tipped the Winter Soldier off at who he was, and started his deprogramming, while Wolverine was tracking down Romulus (who, was basically the man behind both mens black ops passed). the Captain America / Brubaker run is awesome and in a great hard cover collection, highly suggested for anyone who likes Cap.

I thought the preview looked really good... I like that it appears Cap has issues with Shields way of doing things, and LOVE the Winter Solder
Bucky
teases.

PostPosted: Mon October 28, 2013 12:04 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

ive read through most of it so far this weekend and while the story is great i dont think i have seen art as nice as eptings

PostPosted: Mon October 28, 2013 1:16 am 
AnalLog

Peeps wrote:
ive read through most of it so far this weekend and while the story is great i dont think i have seen art as nice as eptings

yeah the artwork is amazing too, i just hate that
they didnt keep Cap/Steve dead longer, his death was written / handled so well with the Civil War going on, and Bucky back from the dead, Steve should have replaced Bucky as someone who stays dead

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment