The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wire, Deadwood, Sopranos and West Wing
PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 12:45 am 
AnalLog

Sopranos had higher highs than almost any other show but the overall series wasn't as good as you appear to believe.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 12:47 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Soma. wrote:
Sopranos had higher highs than almost any other show but the overall series wasn't as good as you appear to believe.

I'm only judging it against Breaking Bad, not making any proclamations about where it stands in the grand pantheon of episodic television. The difference in quality is pretty clear.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 12:50 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

BB doesn't even get great until halfway into season 3.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 12:52 am 
RM Elitist

My first time through the Sopranos I really enjoyed it. A lot. Couldn't wait to get caught up and ultimately watch the final season live. But since it ended, I have rarely had the desire to watch it again. And when I do I realize most (nearly all) off the characters annoy me quite a bit. And the more I watch, the more they bother me. Tony is obviously one of the most important characters in television history, but nearly all the rest are either a cliche, or just irritating to watch. And some of the last season does feel like Chase started to really detest his audience. He thought most were watching for his high end, off the wall story telling, and really most just wanted to see one italian guy kill another. However, one of my absolute favorite episodes is the final episode. I can honestly say, I never really gave a shit about any of the characters.

Breaking bad is just more fun to watch. The marathon before the finale roped me in a couple separate times. It was just a more enjoyable watch.

I think the Sopranos to me is kinda like Louie. I KNOW it's a great show. I appreciate it for being ambitious and important, but sometimes its just not fun to watch.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 1:27 am 
AnalLog

Well put, Skitch. The only two characters I liked were Christopher and Sal, and later in the piece Sal wasn't featured much at all. In fact, it was more like a train wreck of personas than anything I could identify with. Well executed but ultimately a little exhausting.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 4:00 am 
Future Drummer

i don't know if it's the finest, but Deadwood is definitely my favorite. really though, there's very little like The Wire. but if i could only save one television show from the last 15 years, it'd be Deadwood.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 4:08 am 
Future Drummer

seconded on Louie

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 4:59 am 
AnalLog

I just wish Deadwood wasn't canned. 3 seasons wasn't nearly enough.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 10:10 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Soma. wrote:

Maybe an urban myth but I heard it was the most expensive series HBO ever made and it just wasn't pulling in viewing numbers large enough to make it viable. Real shame. It was just taking off

I have a box set and one of the extras is one of the actors walking around the now abandoned town set. You could see where the money went, they really went all out I the production design and building. As far as I know the set is still standing. That may be a wishful thinking thing though

Last edited by dimejinky99 on Sat October 05, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 10:27 am 
AnalLog

Dude, I'm inclined to believe every word of that. The mud, the filth, the hustle and bustle.. I love how atmospheric the show was. And Al Swearengen plays one of the greatest cunts of all time.

Gonna have to rewatch that one soon. I'm already cracking up to myself at the tragic case that is Calamity Jane. Oh, bless.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 10:46 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Breaking Bad and Sopranos are tied as my favourite shows of all time. I've watched Sopranos a few times from start to finish and the ending thoroughly satisfies me every time.

I may also be in the minority but I adore the episodes where Tony is in a coma and he's called Kevin Finnerty. They convey that feeling of being lost and not being able to get home perfectly.

The West Wing and Curb Your Enthusiasm are tied for second place :)

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 10:50 am 

Soma. wrote:
Dude, I'm inclined to believe every word of that. The mud, the filth, the hustle and bustle.. I love how atmospheric the show was. And Al Swearengen plays one of the greatest cunts of all time.

Gonna have to rewatch that one soon. I'm already cracking up to myself at the tragic case that is Calamity Jane. Oh, bless.

Jane is one of he best characters in it. Rivalling Richard E Grant in withnail&i for playing a drunk perfectly whilst being totally sober:) such a funny character:)

'Jane! Be quick!'
'Be quick? Be fucked!'

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 10:51 am 
AnalLog

BootsToAsses wrote:
I may also be in the minority but I adore the episodes where Tony is in a coma and he's called Kevin Finnerty. They convey that feeling of being lost and not being able to get home perfectly.

These episodes weirded me out but they were very well done. Gandolfini's change in acting was very impressive, too.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 10:53 am 
AnalLog

dimejinky99 wrote:
Soma. wrote:

Jane is one of he best characters in it. Rivalling Richard E Grant in withnail&i for playing a drunk perfectly whilst being totally sober:) such a funny character:)

'Jane! Be quick!'
'Be quick? Be fucked!'

Then you get to know her character and it breaks your heart to see how much she will care for others without giving a single thought to herself. Fuck it, I'm watching it over in the coming weeks.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 10:54 am 

Soma. wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Soma. wrote:

'Jane! Be quick!'
'Be quick? Be fucked!'

Then you get to know her character and it breaks your heart to see how much she will care for others without giving a single thought to herself. Fuck it, I'm watching it over in the coming weeks.

Me too.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 1:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

malice wrote:
and if pressed, I will admit to also loving Star Trek, Next Generation

There is no shame in this.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 1:34 pm 
AnalLog

Star Trek TNG was the shit. Represent, etc.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 2:06 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
Soma. wrote:

Maybe an urban myth but I heard it was the most expensive series HBO ever made and it just wasn't pulling in viewing numbers large enough to make it viable. Real shame. It was just taking off

I have a box set and one of the extras is one of the actors walking around the now abandoned town set. You could see where the money went, they really went all out I the production design and building. As far as I know the set is still standing. That may be a wishful thinking thing though

i'm pretty sure the set was dismantled (or at least large chunks of it) a few years ago, which ended the rumors that a Deadwood movie (or two two-hour episodes) would be made.

the cancellation was definitely a money thing, but i heard milch couldn't do John From Cincinnati and Deadwood, and there was pressure on Deadwood already, so we wound up with only one show.

he's had a hard time at HBO. Deadwood, John and Luck all scrapped after three seasons or less. fucking hell can he write though. i actually read that he wrote most of a cleanth brooks or robert penn warren book. not The Well Wrought Urn, but something big.

Last edited by Malloy on Sat October 05, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 2:08 pm 
The Master

john from cincinnatti was a cool show

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2013 2:16 pm 
Future Drummer

spike wrote:
john from cincinnatti was a cool show

i remember from the old board you being one of the few people to post about it. it was, wish he'd had more time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment