The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 429  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Cinematic Motion Picture News Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 4:05 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

My cousin actually just got fired from one of those retail pet stores. I have some other cousins who sell insurance, though. You know, if you're ever looking to break into the insurance game. Shoot me a PM.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 4:08 am 
Future Drummer

The Argonaut wrote:
My cousin actually just got fired from one of those retail pet stores. I have some other cousins who sell insurance, though. You know, if you're ever looking to break into the insurance game. Shoot me a PM.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 8:26 pm 
Future Drummer

Paul Thomas Anderson's latest, and adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice is in post-production.

Debating on whether I should read the book.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 8:28 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Harry Lime wrote:
Paul Thomas Anderson's latest, and adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice is in post-production.

Debating on whether I should read the book.

I want to read that one...and the movie its going to be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 11:35 am 
Future Drummer

Quentin Tarantino’s Top 10 Films of 2013 (So Far)

1. Afternoon Delight (Jill Soloway)
2. Before Midnight (Richard Linklater)
3. Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen)
4. The Conjuring (James Wan)
5. Drinking Buddies (Joe Swanberg)
6. Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach)
7. Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
8. Kick-Ass 2 (Jeff Wadlow)
9. The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski)
10. This Is The End (Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg)

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 2:50 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Harry Lime wrote:

Nice list...i agree with This is the end, The Conjuring and Drinking Buddies.

In other news it seems there is going to be a new He Man movie. My 8 years old former self is happy and exited.

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 8:22 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Harry Lime wrote:

I've only seen three of those. But I agree that all three belong on a top 10 of the year list.

PostPosted: Fri October 11, 2013 2:01 am 
Future Drummer

Oliver Stone & Jamie Foxx to maybe do a MLK movie :shake:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... x-20131010

I wonder if Stone and the Steven Spielberg produced biopic will have the balls to examine the pious King's multiple affairs with women.

PostPosted: Fri October 11, 2013 6:07 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I'm a huge von Trier fan, but this seems pretty fucking stupid.

Let's look at the orgasming stars of Lars von Trier's Nymphomaniac, because that's what they want

http://www.avclub.com/articles/lets-loo ... er,104092/

PostPosted: Fri October 11, 2013 6:38 am 
AnalLog

Why would you object to that? Who fucking cares? Its a movie about nymphomaniacs.

PostPosted: Fri October 11, 2013 7:06 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Soma. wrote:
Why would you object to that? Who fucking cares? Its a movie about nymphomaniacs.

I don't really object at all. But I do care that it's ham-fisted. von Trier's lack of subtlety is pretty glaring sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri October 11, 2013 7:30 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It's definitely not out-of-character for the latter period of his career.

PostPosted: Fri October 11, 2013 7:38 am 
AnalLog

That's like objecting to Korean or Japanese films for their lack of subtlety. A film can overload ones senses and still remain aware of itself. Meh, different strokes. Herherherh.

PostPosted: Wed October 16, 2013 5:09 pm 
Future Drummer

I'm happy Aronofsky is telling a scary story. I always disliked it in my Sunday school classes when the teachers would describe the Noah's Ark story, or the suffering of Job, as something light hearted & jovial.

And in Genisis, it did say that heavenly beings came down to have affairs with mortalized women, and created giants etc. I don't know why the studio & the religious affiliated are so shocked with Aronofsky's take:

Darren Aronofsky Battling Paramount Over Final Cut Of 'Noah'

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... h-20131015

Quote:
Darren Aronofsky is pushing himself in more ways than one with "Noah." It's his first big budget studio film ("The Fountain" for Fox cost a mere $35 million). And it's certainly the grandest production he's ever put together and arguably the most ambitious project of his career. With a $125 million price tag, the film is a fantastical retelling of the Biblical story, one that doesn't adhere to the story you were told in Sunday School, and has what has recently been described as the most complicated shot in the history of Industry Light & Magic, the company working on the extensive visual effects. And it seems Paramount is now getting nervous.

THR reports that test screenings in New York, Arizona and Orange County—for Jewish, Christian and mixed religious groups—have been "worrisome" and "troubling," prompting Paramount to suggest changes to the movie. As you might expect, Aronofsky has not been receptive. So what's at issue? Apparently, it's the third act, which is being deemed "a major challenge," particularly as the studio wants to find a way not to "alienate the potentially huge Christian audience." But the real surprise here is that Paramount suddenly has a problem with the film.

The material has already been published in graphic novel form, and moreover, details about its non-traditional take have been well known even before production began. As far back as 2011, Aronofsky made clear he saw the character of Noah as someone much more than the dude who built the ark. "It’s a great script and it’s huge…It's a really cool project and I think it's really timely because it's about environmental apocalypse which is the biggest theme, for me, right now for what's going on on this planet. So I think it's got these big, big themes that connect with us," he explained. "Noah was the first environmentalist. He's a really interesting character. Hopefully they'll let me make it. Noah was the first person to plant vineyards and drink wine and get drunk. It’s there in the Bible—it was one of the first things he did when he reached land. There was some real survivor’s guilt going on there. He’s a dark, complicated character."

And in 2012, Hitfix published details from the script which described Noah facing "violent, supernatural elements" in addition to the rising waters, in "a violent, freaky, scary world" that featured, among other things, "eleven-foot-tall fallen angels with six arms and no wings." Drew McWeeney wrote, adding: "He’s written this as a serious look at our place on this planet and our rights as citizens of the world. I think it would be hard to pin this version of the story down to any one faith, and in shaking off the dusty respectability of the accepted version of the story, Aronofsky and [Ari] Handel may have actually found a way to give it a stronger thematic resonance than I would have imagined."

In short, it's challenging, and now it seems that exact aspect of what made it special, seems to be at issue. However, not everyone sees it that way. "Darren is not made for studio films," a source close the movie told THR. "He's very dismissive. He doesn't care about [Paramount's] opinion."

As for Paramount? They're working with Aronofsky to find a solution, with vice chairman Rob Moore promising, "one version of the movie that Darren is overseeing" (though whether that means he's retaining final cut or not isn't clear). With a March 28, 2014 date set and not a piece of marketing out yet, it'll be interesting to see if this can get resolved in time to promote the movie or if this is just the beginning of something more difficult.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 3:31 pm 
Future Drummer

Robert Zemeckis Set to Direct 'Marwencol' Adaptation for Universal

http://www.indiewire.com/article/robert ... -universal

Quote:
Robert Zemeckis has signed on to direct a film based on the documentary "Marwencol," Variety reports. The 2010 doc, which won Best Documentary Feature when it premiered at SXSW, tells the story of Mark Hogancamp, a man who suffered severe brain damage after being beaten outside of a bar. In order to help cope with the trauma and regain his coordination, he begins building a one-sixth scale replica of a WWII town.

Jeff Malmberg, the director of the original doc, will serve as an executive producer. Caroline Thompson, whose past screenwriting works include "Edward Scissorhands" and "Corpse Bride," will pen the script. Zemeckis' own ImageMovers studio is set to produce the pic under the banner of Universal.

While there has not yet been any casting, the project is said to be eyeing a high-profile lead, with the director's top choice being Leonardo DiCaprio.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 1:26 am 
Future Drummer

Rumors of an Army of Darkness sequel, with Campbell & Raimi returning :nice:

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 1:32 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Harry Lime wrote:
Rumors of an Army of Darkness sequel, with Campbell & Raimi returning :nice:

Yes, please.

PostPosted: Tue November 05, 2013 5:45 pm 
Future Drummer

David Cronenberg basically says The Shining is overrated. I guess I can't disagree, but anyway:

Quote:
“I think I’m a more intimate and personal filmmaker than Kubrick ever was,” Cronenberg shared. “That’s why I find 'The Shining' not to be a great film. I don’t think he understood the (horror) genre. I don’t think he understood what he was doing. There were some striking images in the book and he got that, but I don’t think he really felt it."

But I'd argue that Kubrick's films were intentionally cold & distant. That doesn't always make for a pleasureable experience.

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 7:40 pm 
Future Drummer

Meh. We'll see.

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 8:01 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Harry Lime wrote:
Meh. We'll see.

It's Aronofsky. I'll be there on opening weekend. Music is over-the-top "epic". But that's probably just the trailer music and not the actual soundtrack. It doesn't sound like Clint Mansell.

Also, rumor has it that Christian audiences found it "troubling", which makes me want to see it even more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 429  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment