The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365 ... 430  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Cinematic Motion Picture News Thread
PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 3:18 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

On the one hand, he fucked up Star Wars pretty badly. On the other, Chapek fucked up pretty much everything else.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 1:41 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

If you have a problem with the current state of Marvel/Lucas Film/Pixar and the wisdom of going all in on Disney+ and the Fox Acquisition then you can put all that blame on Iger. There hasn't been enough time for Chapek to do much of anything with that stuff he inherited all of that. If you have an issue with the state of the domestic parks that's for the most part Chapek. I really only care about the later so I'm glad he's gone and I'm hoping they roll a lot of his decisions back. I doubt they do but a guy can dream.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 1:54 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Could you expand on that? I don't know anything about the parks or how they changed under his leadership

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 2:21 pm 

Jorge wrote:
Could you expand on that? I don't know anything about the parks or how they changed under his leadership

Most of the free perks are gone. Transportation from the airport to the Disney Hotels was free now you have to pay. If you stay on property at a hotel you have to pay to park your car now. Fast Pass which allowed you to skip the lines was free now you have to pay. The new system is called Genie Plus. You're on your phone all day booking stuff. There are certain rides that don't fall under the paid Genie Plus/Lightening Lane system and if you want to get on those you have to pay even more. You can't just go to a park on a whim anymore you have to get a reservation and they are limited. If you have a park hopper which allows you to go from one park to another you have to wait until 2:00pm to use it. The experience is highly regimented now. They raise ticket, food and hotel prices multiple times a year instead of every few years. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of other things. Basically what they are dong is trying to price the average customer and the locals out. They don't spend enough at the parks. They want high end customers that drop a lot of money. It's not sustainable. Especially at the Cali Parks those are locals parks I'm not sure why they are alienating their main customer base. That strategy makes a little more sense in the Florida Parks because that's more of a Regional and International destination. A lot of customers that do the one big trip and are willing to spend. Disney Land is mostly Californians why would you price out the locals that's the only people that go there? I live on the East Coast so it doesn't matter to me but it seems pretty short sighted. I make a pretty good living and it's getting cost prohibitive. If my wife and kids weren't so into it I would stop going. I imagine they will keep squeezing until the economy bottoms out and all the money people saved during the covid lockdowns is gone. Then they'll do some token price drops maybe.

Last edited by bada on Tue November 22, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 2:43 pm 
Major Dude

bada wrote:
Jorge wrote:

Most of the free perks are gone. Transportation from the airport to the Disney Hotels was free now you have to pay. If you stay on property at a hotel you have to pay to park your car now. Fast Pass which allowed you to skip the lines was free now you have to pay. The new system is called Genie Plus. You're on your phone all day booking stuff. There are certain rides that don't fall under the paid Genie Plus/Lightening Lane system and if you want to get on those you have to pay even more. You can't just go to a park on a whim anymore you have to get a reservation and they are limited. If you have a park hopper which allows you to go from one park to another you have to wait until 2:00pm to use it. The experience is highly regimented now. They raise ticket, food and hotel prices multiple times a year instead of every few years. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of other things. Basically what they are dong is trying to price the average customer and the locals out. They don't spend enough at the parks. They want high end customers that drop a lot of money. It's not sustainable. Especially at the Cali Parks those are locals parks I'm not sure why they are alienating their main customer base. That strategy makes a little more sense in the Florida Parks because that's more of a Regional and International destination. A lot of customers that do the one big trip and are willing to spend. Disney Land is mostly Californians why would you price out the locals that's the only people that go there? I live on the East Coast so it doesn't matter to me but it seems pretty short sighted. I make a pretty good living and it's getting cost prohibitive. If my wife and kids weren't so into it I would stop going. I imagine they will keep squeezing until the economy bottoms out and all the money people saved during the covid lockdowns is gone. Then they'll do some token price drops maybe.

We’re checking in right now. World, not Land

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 2:49 pm 

wease wrote:
bada wrote:
Jorge wrote:

Yeah despite my complaining we are going in April lol.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 3:35 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

bada wrote:
If you have a problem with the current state of Marvel/Lucas Film/Pixar and the wisdom of going all in on Disney+ and the Fox Acquisition then you can put all that blame on Iger. There hasn't been enough time for Chapek to do much of anything with that stuff he inherited all of that. If you have an issue with the state of the domestic parks that's for the most part Chapek. I really only care about the later so I'm glad he's gone and I'm hoping they roll a lot of his decisions back. I doubt they do but a guy can dream.

You could put most of it on Iger. Chapek may have only been put there to keep Iger blameless when the bottom fell out.

It sounds like streaming is a bust all around, or in need of an overhaul, but that's true for the whole industry. No one has figured out how to make money in streaming yet.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 3:52 pm 
The Master

Was the free fast pass a perk for buying something else or part of a package? Otherwise everybody would have it and it would be pointless, no?

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 4:05 pm 

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Was the free fast pass a perk for buying something else or part of a package? Otherwise everybody would have it and it would be pointless, no?

It was for everyone. You could have three fast passes. You had to use them during a timed block so it was spread out. So say you wanted the Haunted Mansion you might not be able to get a fast pass for a couple hours but you could wait in line for another attraction(s) in the meantime and then walk on to Mansion when your time came. Once you used all three you could get another one. Way back you didn't have to wait until you used all three that was awesome. Believe it or not it worked great and was a fair system.

Last edited by bada on Tue November 22, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 4:07 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:

It was for everyone. You could have three fast passes. You had to use them during a timed block so it was spread out. So say you wanted the Haunted Mansion you might not be able to get a fast pass for a couple hours but you could wait in line for another attraction and then walk on to Mansion when your time came. Once you used all three you could get another one. Way back you didn't have to wait until you used all three that was awesome. Believe it or not it worked great and was a fair system.

That makes sense.

Take me to Disney with you.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 4:08 pm 

bada wrote:

It was for everyone. You could have three fast passes. You had to use them during a timed block so it was spread out. So say you wanted the Haunted Mansion you might not be able to get a fast pass for a couple hours but you could wait in line for another attraction and then walk on to Mansion when your time came. Once you used all three you could get another one. Way back you didn't have to wait until you used all three that was awesome. Believe it or not it worked great and was a fair system.

That makes sense.

Sure send me your information.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 5:38 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:
bada wrote:

That makes sense.

Sure send me your information.

Thanks. Ttyl.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 7:01 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

https://www.avclub.com/disney-ceo-drama-insane-for-those-at-company-1849812263

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 9:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 10:20 pm 
Future Drummer

epilogue wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Like the Green Ranger to the White Ranger...

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 10:48 pm 
Major Dude

bada wrote:
wease wrote:
bada wrote:
Jorge wrote:

Yeah despite my complaining we are going in April lol.

We’ll be back then too

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 11:37 pm 

don't go, guys. Disney tells your kids to have imagination and the only thing they can think to do is ask to go to Disney World? Go to Six Flags or Las Vegas or something

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 11:39 pm 
Major Dude

The Argonaut wrote:
don't go, guys. Disney tells your kids to have imagination and the only thing they can think to do is ask to go to Disney World? Go to Six Flags or Las Vegas or something

Take our kids to a place known as Sin City?

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 4:31 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 12:42 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

ugh

it reeks of desperation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365 ... 430  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment